The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » The Devil's Cola Bottle... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
Carl Rheuban
View Profile
New user
Malibu, California
90 Posts

Profile of Carl Rheuban
Can anyone provide a review of this item? The video looks like this is a great effect.

Thank you.

Carl.
Magicman862
View Profile
Veteran user
Cincy, OH
385 Posts

Profile of Magicman862
Where did you see a video?
Carl Rheuban
View Profile
New user
Malibu, California
90 Posts

Profile of Carl Rheuban
Magicman862 -

The website for the item is at this address. There is a performance video on the site. Click here!

Carl.
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6141 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Hi, gang. My company Artful Magic is the sole distributor of the Devil's Cola Bottle. We will continue to put up new videos from time to time of other performances.

As you can see, it has been packaged to sell at the exclusive level because we did not want this to become the next D'lite... although D'lite is a great item it has become a novelty item that is sold everywhere. This is a high end PK effect that shocks the viewers.

Last night I performed at a Poetry/Art affair... kind of like a Burning Man happening. I did the bottle to one young lady who liked looking kind of Marilyn Manson like and trying to appear like nothing could shock her. Well, I did the bottle and used her to hold it. I purposely tried to make the effect take as long as possible so she stood there holding the bottle for awhile and kind of started looking bored as I stared at the bottle and said; "You have a very interesting mind."

When the bottle broke in her hand her expression completely changed. From then on she hounded me all over the area trying to find out how I can control these things with my mind... as she put it, "I can do these things, but I can't control them... how did you learn to control them?" She was fascinated with it and couldn't keep staring at me throughout the night... I'm no Tom Cruise so it wasn't my looks.

I know from having followed all the threads of other new products that I will be asked tons of questions about the effects so let me answer a few in advance:

• There are no discounts and you have to buy the initial $1000 kit just to be able to buy the bottles later if you so wish.
  • The bottles can be examined to anyone's satisfaction... you can even send them to a lab for chemical analysis... they will find nothing as no chemicals are used.
  • It can be done to just about any bottle, but the Coke bottles are generally stronger so it's cooler to try and have them try to smash it and they can't. As the ad states, you can even drive in a nail into wood using a Coke bottle as a hammer.
  • The glass piece that is thrown inside is not gimmicked in any way... we have thrown in lemon drop candy, hairpins, small skeleton key, ball bearing, etc and you get the same effect, but each of those items changes the speed of the outcome.
  • The more they shake whatever is tossed in the faster it will take for the bottle to implode... it implodes not explodes... when you see pieces flying it's that they were shaking the bottle as it happened so that caused the pieces to fly out.
  • You can mail it to someone and they can do it without you even being there... I sent it to Steve Brooks, Banachek and a couple of others to try out and simply sent the instructions at what to do and the bottle went off without me being there.
  • The bottles usually break off in the bottom fourth of the bottle, but larger bottles break even higher. You have to have the spectator hold the bottle by the lip to be safe or you can do what I have done and others have too and put the bottle in another clear container so they can see it happen, but be absolutely safe.
  • The process that Kevin Curtin has come up with is patentable and we are now proceeding with that so we will take legal action if anyone steals it.
  • With each kit you must sign a contract that works as a confidentiality agreement and performance rights agreement.
  • Buying the kit intitles you to perform or make the bottles, but only for your own use.
  • There are no hidden devices and you can do this naked if you so wished... watch out for broken glass.
  • Currently we have sold about ten kits and will probably only sell about a hundred & fifty all together because we want this to remain a special item.

I hope I've answered some of the questions you will have about the bottle. All I can say is it's the coolest thing to do and I wish I had the money to buy the complete rights to it so no one else could do it.

By the way, keep coming over to Artful Magic because in the following months we will be coming out with amazing items that will be sold exclusively through us, but not all of them will be in this high price range.
Thanks.
Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4575 Posts

Profile of Payne
Looks like a very clever effect. It appears that you've devised a way to convert a bottle into something akin to a Prince Rupert Drop.
Aren't you though by the simple act of patenting this item going to tip the method to creating these wonderful bottles?
Any one with internet access will be able to look the patent up on the goverments patent server and read through it to their hearts content for free?
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
truthteller
View Profile
Inner circle
2586 Posts

Profile of truthteller
I have seen the Devil's Soda bottle and it is impressive. It's not the kind of thing to buy on a lark, but it is everything promised and more. If you wanted to do this effect, this is THE way to do it. Startling.
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6141 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Payne, we are looking into everyway of keeping this under wraps. It is too good of a thing to let get out into the world too easily. For now we are requiring very strict contracts when someone purchases the bottle kit. I'm not allowed to say, but you would be surprised as to who has purchased it and who is considering it. We have been thrilled by the calibre of performers who have looked at it and given it their highest praises.
The first person to purchase it was Brian Gillis and he said it paid for itself on the first performance because he was booked on a China tour because of it... the one stipulation: he had to do the bottle there, too.
Greg
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4575 Posts

Profile of Payne
I commend you on trying to keep this as hush hush as possible but don't you think a better way of doing so would have been to just sell this via word of mouth?
I think with something apparently this good and at such a high price point you could easily have sold your projected 150 to 200 units without full page colour ads and website movies.
Unfortunately I give this less than a year before someone spills the beans or somebody backward engineers it and it appears as a downloadable PDF file on E-Bay.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6141 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Well, Payne that's possible... and I'd look forward to having one of the only magic products that we can take someone to court over for stealing it. It should be interesting. As of now the few that have gotten it are all reputable magicians who know the value of keeping it a secret.
It is interesting that we are in a crowd of thieves... oh, well.
Time will tell, I guess.
Greg
Peter Loughran
View Profile
V.I.P.
Ontario, Canada
2685 Posts

Profile of Peter Loughran
This sounds great but Id be more worried about the lawsuits for the performer rather than the inventor or manufacturer. Sounds like a risky effect, with exploding glass everywhere. Have you ideas on how to contain the the glass? ie: a bag or plexiglass box?

How does Coke feel about you guys using their bottles for this type of dangerous effect, Is this all legally covered with them? I know it says cola in the ad, but it is coke's signiture bottle which I beleive is still a registered trademark of theirs. I think for the price I would want to make sure that Coke is aware of this effect before I start performing in on Tv etc. One little peice of glass of their bottle flies into someone's eye or something and you have the guy suing you, the performer, and coke, and then coke is going to go after everybody...

P.
Brand New: SPELLBINDER -The New Supernatural Stage Table
www.masterofillusions.ca

Follow me on Facebook:
https://m.facebook.com/peter.loughran.9

Check out my new movie:
www.plasterrockmovie.com
www.globaluniversal.com

Also visit: www.tenyoelite.com
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6141 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Peter, most of your concerns are explained within the kit and contract you sign. As far as the dangers of glass, we state it over and over within the kit that you are to be very careful with this effect, but you will be responsible for anything that occurs. It would be similar if someone purchased your Elevator and got a little clumsy and fell into someone and did some damage... are you responsible for the person being clumsy? Probably, but it would be much harder to sue you if within the manual they had to sign a clause that removes your responsibility. We are not taking anything lightly so the contract that people will sign contains all the warnings and responsibilities. As for Coke, one of the magicians might end up doing if for them. And you don't have to use a Coke bottle... any bottle will do. We only use Coke bottles because they are so strong that it's freaky that they are so hard to break.
Greg
Peter Loughran
View Profile
V.I.P.
Ontario, Canada
2685 Posts

That was exactly my concern, glass shattering in a spectators hand, of which the performer will be responsible if something happens. Comparing the Elevator to shattering glass in a spectator's hand is in a different catagorey as far as Im concerned.

But thank you for answering my questions to the best of your ability.

I as a consumer would have to look at all the liability concerns, written in the kit and contract and also those concerns that are not covered by the kit and contract before I would consider performing this. It just sounds a little too risky for me. But then again I also don't know all the details, so it is just my first thoughts after looking into the effect.

But you got alot of big name endorsements, and Im sure you guys will do great with it. I think the idea is killer. Good luck!

P.
www.masterofillusions.ca

Follow me on Facebook:

Check out my new movie:
www.plasterrockmovie.com
www.globaluniversal.com

zeroG
View Profile
Regular user
183 Posts

Profile of zeroG
I have heard that the Devil does not even drink cola.
He's a pepper!
truthteller
View Profile
Inner circle
2586 Posts

Profile of truthteller
I understand Peter's concern. However, there are ways of making the effect work without either you or the spectator touching the bottle. So, while extremely valid, these concerns should not limit your consideration of the product.
paraguppie
View Profile
Elite user
Forsyth Montana!
411 Posts

Profile of paraguppie
Greg,

That video is very immpressive! Congrats on a great effect. Good luck with the marketing. I hope it does well for you. Neat stuff!

Keith
Check me out at www.magickeith.com
Peter Loughran
View Profile
V.I.P.
Ontario, Canada
2685 Posts

Brad I asked Greg if there were alternate ways of containing the exploding glass such as in a plexiglass box or in a clear plastic bag...but I wasn't given an answer. So this is a possiblity then? Great!

From my understanding with the science of similar glass effects a small 'something' would have to placed inside the bottle to get the 'reaction' for the bottle to shatter, if this is correct, I would be very intrigued as to how you would do this with your method without you or the spectator touching the bottle. Sounds cool!

Either way I will again admit that the idea is killer, and although I stand behind my concerns, I don't know all the details so someone who has had experience with the effect should be the person those interested in the effect should listen to. Not me.

Im just going to butt out now...Im not dissing the effect I think its great, I was merely asking a couple of questions. And questions I feel that others were thinking about. I think Greg should prepare himself for an onslaught of questions espically for an effect that 'appears' to be somewhat risky or dangerous to perform and that costs a grand.

To not expect questions or concerns such as mine would just be silly, no? I get hundreds of emails and questions regarding my products. So Im sure Greg will get the same.

Anyway, I don't want to be bother or cause any bad feelings here so I won't ask anymore questions.

Again good luck with the effect Greg Im sure it will be huge hit!!

P. Smile
www.masterofillusions.ca

Follow me on Facebook:

Check out my new movie:
www.plasterrockmovie.com
www.globaluniversal.com

Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6141 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Thanks for all the compliments, but remember they should be directed at Kevin Curtin because he is the creator of this effect. Anyway, to answer a couple of the questions that have come up:
We will be putting up a version of the contract on our site in the next couple of days so everyone could see what they willl be signing. We have to delete some things as they reveal parts of the secret.
As for putting the bottle in some other container, my partner already does that. What he has done is bring a large plastic bottle... the kind that holds swizzle sticks... and has the person put the glass bottle inside and then seal the hold thing but still hold the plastic bottle. We will be showing that presentation in action in the near future on the site so you can see the amazing reaction it got.
When I've worked at a place that might not want glass on their floor, I've had the bottle placed in a sandwich bag and the person holds both. The bottle goes off in the bag and everyone sees it and I give the spectator the whole thing sealed inside the bag.
Personally, I love presenting this openly. When I had my own stage show I had the person wear workman's gloves and goggle to make it really look like a dangerous effect coming up. I would bring out a large metal tub... the kind you use to bath dogs in... and put that center stage under the bottle the person was holding. I had the person kneel down so the bottle was held about three feet above the tub. In my presentation I had performed PK effects using a shadow theme and then I would add another part to this effect. I would talk about the Algonquin Indians who believed in what is called a Manitou... it was there God or spirit that was in everything. I would explain that the bottle had the spirit of a complete bottle then I would pull out a shard of glass and say this had the Manitou of a broken bottle. I was going to release that spirit inside the bottle. The person would drop the piece in the bottle right after I aimed a light at the bottle. I would then proceed to crush the shadow as he held onto the bottle. It was quite dramatic when the bottle broke open. I had several individuals scream profanities as it happened. And the coolest thing was always getting the spectators to try and first break the bottle. I had one guy who was a stuntman that was about six-four and weighed about three hundred pounds. He beat that bottle on the floor so hard I really thought he would break it... he didn't.
Along with these presentations there have already been several others that are just as amazing, Whenever someone buys the bottle we give them all the ideas that have been used so far.
I hope that answers some of the questions.
Greg
P.S. By the way Peter, I did not feel anything bad about your post or questions. As a matter of fact, I marveled at all your responses that you had to post when you put out the Elevator. There was many a time when I was paging through all the crazy questions you got and couldn't believe you were being so kind and decent to answer them the way you did. It is because of your thread and Neil's Xpert thread that I'm prepared to meet the demand of questions.
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
4824 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
Is postage cost included in the prize?
Is it easy to setup the bottles and how long time will it take to do that?

Mats G. Kjellstrom
http://www.mastermagic.info
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6141 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
In the initial kit we are covering the postage, but if you decide to buy the prepared bottles after that then you will have to work out a deal on postage with Kevin Curtin. He prepares the bottles and ships them out.
Within the manuscript you will learn exactly how the bottles are made, but that will require you to buy equipment that could range in the hundreds of dollars depending on how new or old you can get them. Once you have the needed equipment it takes about a day and a half per bottle for it to be ready, but you can prepare about a dozen bottles at a time depending upon the equipment you buy.
Although no chemicals are used you will be doing something that requires you to be very careful and not done around kids or pets.
One more thing, each person that buys the initial kit will be receiving an agreement that shows all the rights you get and legally binds you to secrecy. Anyone not signing the agreement and sending it back will not be allowed to perform or purchase any bottles and will be sued if they continue to do so before signing the agreement.
For anyone that's worried about the agreement I can only say that some big names in the magic community have already signed up and they had no problem with the agreement.
Greg
Adam Grace
View Profile
V.I.P.
LA, CA
135 Posts

Profile of Adam Grace
Congrats Greg and Kevin,
This really is the greatest thing I've seen in a long long time. This is certainly worth every penny... one question.... why didn't I think of it!?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » The Devil's Cola Bottle... (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.28 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL