The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » The Devil's Cola Bottle... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
brainman
View Profile
Special user
816 Posts

Profile of brainman
Isn`t the secret known already by many laymen who paid attention in school?
?
P
sokarnl
View Profile
Regular user
151 Posts

Profile of sokarnl
That was my thought too when I saw the movie, pahantomas.
Tripwire
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of Tripwire
I saw Brian Gillis do this and it didn't go over near as well as his sleight of hand stuff with coins and cards.
lesterkirad
View Profile
Loyal user
west lafayette, in
227 Posts

Profile of lesterkirad
Don't get me wrong, I think this sounds amazing and I am even considering purchasing it...however maybe I am being too pessimistic, but I think the fact that you have to put something into the bottle, then rattle it around before it breaks is a weak point. I think you could spend all day showing the spectator how strong the coke bottle is. But after dropping something in it, then moving it around, wouldn't they assume that there is just a weak spot in the bottle that ends up breaking out? I think this is an assumption, even if it is shakey logic, that they might make. Maybe someone could answer this to help clear up my confusion: do they have to move to move it around, or does it depend what is dropped in there? Is there any item that you can put in that doesn't have to be moved? This might kind of touch on the question that Peter was asking, but could you drop something in, set it in the trash and tell them to focus on the bottle that you just set down and have it break there? If you can do that, I think it would solve the trouble of where the glass goes and make this seem like there is even less influence on the bottle. In a way, I hope this can be done, because I think it would make the effect stronger. On the other hand, I hope this isn't everything that is promised so I don't end up spending another large sum of money on a magic trick. Any info is appreciated.
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6139 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Quote:
On 2003-11-01 15:38, brainman wrote:
Isn`t the secret known already by many laymen who paid attention in school?
?
P

This question has been posted at another site. What Kevin did was start with a germ of an idea that was already out there and came up with a way of doing it on any bottle and in a way that the person could hold the bottle when it happens. He put in a year of experimentation which equaled hours of attempts and 1000s of mistakes... as he put it, "If someone had offered to give me all the answers up front for a mere thousand dollars I would have jumped at the chance."
There is something going around the internet that says the answer is already out there and that they can make these bottles... we will take no responsibility if you attempt to do it as it is often quoted at other sites... you'll be very surprised at the outcome.
Now, as someone has asked... yes, you can drop something inside and shake it a bit then present it to the spectator and leave the bottle alone... it will go off on its own, but remember each bottle takes its own time. This is a PK effect, not a push button Tenyo effect.
I wish you guys well in your quest to duplicate this, but don't be surprise how much it cost you to attempt it and the results you'll get... don't say I didn't warn you.
Greg

By the way, I know you guys are trying to improve on the effect without even having done it and that's a good quality, but let me stress that the reaction you get fromt he person holding the bottle is unequaled. The person that tried to break the bottle then holds it keeps talking about it for a long time. I'm hearing reports of the shows I did a couple of weeks ago on how those individuals are still talking about how the bottle "tingled" in their hands before it broke and how strong it was and how they don't understand how it happened. So far not one regular individual has said, "so the glass you dropped inside has something to do with it." I know some will, but believe me they rarely remember the small piece going inside, but always remember that they couldn't break the bottle then it suddenly exploded in their hands.
Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
MagicMan1957
View Profile
Inner circle
1440 Posts

Profile of MagicMan1957
Well I just saw Penn & Teller do this on the Jimmy Kimmel show with 4 coke bottles....i'm still not sure how well this plays in person,,,i think the presentation is definitely the key to this trick........
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4575 Posts

Profile of Payne
Isn't presentation the key to any effect?
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Jeff J.
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
787 Posts

Profile of Jeff J.
I just saw The Jimmy Kimmell show. Pen & Teller did the Cola trick. Although it was good, It didn't seem really as amazing as it sounds in the description.

It seemed like they had a problem with the handling of the effect.

Jut one mans opinion.

Jeff
SethHoward
View Profile
Loyal user
224 Posts

Profile of SethHoward
I remember using some flasks like this in high schools. Sort of like the Rupert's pearls. We would take a nail and drive into a board and then we could cause the flask to shatter the next momement.
Neat idea in a Coke bottle but I agree with the earlier post, I think a lot of people will remember the flasks from high school.
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6139 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Quote:
On 2003-11-12 01:05, Ibd1Mon99 wrote:
I just saw The Jimmy Kimmell show. Pen & Teller did the Cola trick. Although it was good, It didn't seem really as amazing as it sounds in the description.

It seemed like they had a problem with the handling of the effect.

Jut one mans opinion.

Jeff

It played much better on the Best D-A-M-N Sports Show because the cameras were on them the entire time. At the Kimmel show the cameras were roaming too much and never got a bottle in action in one shot. Ah, the wonders of Live TV.
Greg
Gianni
View Profile
Special user
WILMINGTON, DE
991 Posts

Profile of Gianni
Quote:
On 2003-11-12 01:50, SethHoward wrote:
...I think a lot of people will remember the flasks from high school.

This post interests me for several reasons:

1) I had both physics and chemistry in high school, and was never exposed to this effect.

2) When an internationally known duo like Penn and Teller - wiseguys who are not known for run of the mill effects - perform a trick on a national live TV show, aren't they implicitly saying that they don't view the effect as being known to most high school graduates? Would these guys use a high school stunt to further their reputations on a national TV show?

I post this because I am trying to reconcile the above with the posters who say that this effect will be remembered by many from high school.

Gianni
eggshell
View Profile
Regular user
Chorley, England
146 Posts

Profile of eggshell
Some of the posts re high school are probably being made because, with the dropping into the bottle of another object, this reads in cold print very much like a science experiment rather than a magic trick.

I think, as has been posted earlier, that presentation is all in this one. Its going to be down to how you present the introduction of the other object as to whether this is a ho hum or a WOW!!

The guys selling this effect have set their stall out by setting a high price on this one and that means that it is likely to be bought by professionals (Like Penn & Teller) and these people know their business and hopefully will make a good job of it and if they don't then I'm sure their bank balances can stand it !!!

Amateurs like me won't pay that sum but may have been tempted to purchase at say $200 and then still felt stung because it takes a good deal of putting over to make this a good effect so I think everybody is protected by the sales policy and I applaud the guys for not being greedy.

Missed both the shows mentioned above ( I am in the UK ) but I look forward to seeing it performed by one of my heroes soon.
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6139 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
I know everyone keeps harping about this so-called high school experiment. Please do me a favor and go back to your old high school books and see if you can find it. Better yet ask a high school kid to find it for you.
As I've said, the germ of the idea started there, but Kevin has come up with a way to do it on any bottle and so that it only breaks at one point. In the past the effect most people are trying to allude to had to be done to a very thick walled bottle or glass that eventually broke completely so you couldn't have someone hold it while it was happening.
What Kevin has done is come up with a patentable process that can be applied to any bottle.
Believe me, Penn & Teller know more about the art of magic and its history than myself and a few of us combined and they still thought that this was the work of a genius when they saw it.
Greg
Doug McKenzie
View Profile
Veteran user
New York City
363 Posts

Profile of Doug McKenzie
Everyone should stop trying to figure the trick out and give Kevin the credit by just buying it if they want to do it. It is expensive for a reason.
Doug
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6139 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Thanks, Doug. It still is a free country so if you think it's too expensive or you know how it works then don't buy it. We set the price high because we didn't want it to be sold to thousands of guys and have it be done at every birthday party in the country. It's a fantastic effect and gets great reactions from those that have seen it in person.
I said this once before, but I need to repeat it: If you attempt to recreate this effects using the principles you've heard about in this physics experiments then we will not be held responsible for what could happen when you try it out.
Greg

Quote:
On 2003-11-12 15:50, nycmagic wrote:
http://www.avc.edu.stockholm.se/bilder/english.pdf

This is one of many. Go ahead and try it. I'll wait over here by my nice safe bottles.
Greg Smile
owenscott
View Profile
Regular user
168 Posts

Profile of owenscott
Okey dokey, I finally get in on a cutting edge thread. I get exicted, I go to watch the video and it isn't working. Darn, (its not like I could afford it anyways)Sounds really cool though.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4575 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
This is one of many. Go ahead and try it. I'll wait over here by my nice safe bottles.
Greg Smile

I don't know if I would go as far as calling anything that dealt with broken glass safe.

Safer maybe.

However given my druthers I'd rather have a Devil's Cola Bottle implode in my hand than a Bologna Bottle
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
WilliamWHolcomb
View Profile
Special user
Twinsburg, Ohio
533 Posts

Profile of WilliamWHolcomb
I'm still worried about the copyright issues that Peter mentioned. I don't think that the effect is for me at $1000 ($200 - I'd pick it up) but I would be worried about being sued by Coke for using their product. Also the personal liability issues do seem pretty big...
William Holcomb
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5254 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
With respect to the liability issue, I think the surefire solution would be to just place the bottle on the ground or on a table instead of having someone hold it.

I do think, however, that having someone else hold the bottle makes the effect much stronger. That's the way I'd do it because I personally wouldn't have liability concerns - - I've seen the effect performed live and the way the bottle implodes couldn't hurt anyone. Of course there's always a risk that some knucklehead would try to take advantage of you and file a frivilous lawsuit, but I personally wouldn't let that possibility drive my decision. Your mileage may vary.
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6139 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Sorry about the video, but we just took it off because we are working on a new one. As for the Coke issue, we are currently talking to them and we might not be able to sell it using any of their bottles in the videos or pamphlets, but there is no worry about performing if you don't do it on TV. You can still do it with any other bottle.
Greg
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » The Devil's Cola Bottle... (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.32 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL