The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Books about Bizzare Magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3261 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
I have recently become interested in Bizzare Magic.
What books would be esential for my magic library?
Advice where from to purchase such books would be appreciated.

Smile
Pictured to the left my hero and me during FISM 2006 in Stockholm.
rgranville
View Profile
Elite user
Boston area
462 Posts

Profile of rgranville
Capricornian Tales by Christian Chelman should be available from any well-stocked magic shop. The Book of Haunted Magick by Rick Maue can be obtained from dealers, or directly from Mr. Maue's website. (Click here.) Anabelle's ebook Seven Past Midnight is a nice example of creative thinking. You can get it from Alexandre's website http://www.EyesandMinds.com as well as Alexandre's ebooks on bizarre. Docc Hilford's works, particularly Sign of Four, Band of the Hand, and H.P. Lovecraft's At the Mountains of Madness, are good and available from any magic dealer. Life, Death & Other Card Tricks by Robert Neale will be of help. If you're a member of the SAM, their monthly magazine has a bizarre article every month by Brother Shadow.

The point of bizarre magic isn't the trick, but the dramatic mood you create with a story. Don't look to the books of others to give you those stories, much less bizarre "tricks". Use their examples as an inspiration to create your own stories.
Smile
preston91
View Profile
Regular user
clearwater,fl
187 Posts

Profile of preston91
Peter Marucci's lecture notes "Bizzare Magic" is an excellent source of simple but effective effects, most suitable for walk around....
Paul
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
What would Wavy do?
ptbeast
View Profile
Special user
Oregon
829 Posts

Profile of ptbeast
The above thread (thanks lastnitesfun) contains a great list. For those new to bizarre magick I highly reccomend Rick Maue's 'Haunted Magick', Black Hart's 'Black Book', Steven Minch's 'Lovecraftian Ceremonies', and David Parr's 'Brain Food'.

These books contain effects that are easy to perform, but more importantly give you a good insight on putting together a bizarre routine.

Welcome to the fold. Let us know what you are working on...

Dave
truthteller
View Profile
Inner circle
2586 Posts

Profile of truthteller
MAny years ago I arranged and hosted a symposium on bizarre magic for the TAOM. Craig Snader spoke on the history of Bizarre magic literature. For that event, he compiled an Annotated Bibliography of Bizarre Magic, a list of almost every book printed on the subject. I believe H and R magic may still have copies.

http://www.magicbookshop.com
DanielGreenWolf
View Profile
Veteran user
Waterbury, CT
363 Posts

Profile of DanielGreenWolf
The recently released "Mystery School" Book is a great resource for bizarre magic and magic in general. Check it out!

Smile If you don't, we'll be watching. Smile

Not really, but it's still recommended.

---Malak
-Much love,
Daniel GreenWolf
Celtic Magician

www.GreenWolfMagic.com
Sam Haine
View Profile
Regular user
San Jose, CA
159 Posts

Profile of Sam Haine
Greetings,

The ecently released Scherezade by Borodin and The Practitioner by Gene Poinc are both fun books to read. The former has more effects to build. The latter has bizarre versions of pieces you may already own.

My favorite remains the Invocation and New Invocation.

Also, another overlooked gem is Smagorad by Laub and Inglese.

Best Wishes for This Holiday Season,
Sam Haine
Magical entertainment for charities www.sam-haine.com
rickmagic1
View Profile
Inner circle
MIddle Tennessee area
1533 Posts

Profile of rickmagic1
I don't think I've yet seen two of the best books on the subject:
1)Strange Ceremonies
2)Spirit Theater

Both by Eugene Burger
Rick
Richard Green
The Modern Conjurer
Host of the Haunted Magic show at House of Cards Nashville!
Walon
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of Walon
I like "Strange Ceremonies", "Laughing Souls", and "Demons, Darklings and Doppelgangers". Throw in a few of Corinda's ideas from "13 Steps" and fun comes in kegs.
Smile
"Trauma is the Engine of Initiation"

Walon
Purveyor of Fine Used Souls
Mark Strivings
View Profile
V.I.P.
285 Posts

Profile of Mark Strivings
Quote:
On 2003-10-28 12:49, truthteller wrote:
MAny years ago I arranged and hosted a symposium on bizarre magic for the TAOM. Craig Snader spoke on the history of Bizarre magic literature. For that event, he compiled an Annotated Bibliography of Bizarre Magic, a list of almost every book printed on the subject. I believe H and R magic may still have copies.

http://www.magicbookshop.com

I didn't know that this resource even existed until I read about it here. I immediately went to the H&R website to see if it was there. Lo and behold it was. I ordered it and it arrived today. What a fabulous resource! Ton's of great information in this slim but very pregnant volume. My bizarre library is pretty good, but I can immediately see several tomes that I ust start looking for. Thanks for the reference on this!

BTW I miss Craig. He was a great guy.

Mark
Mark Strivings is the owner of the largest all-mentalism mail order supply business in the world, "Mental Connections", carrying materials not available anywhere else. For complete info, drop Mark a line at MarkyApril@aol.com
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Peo,
You might want to check out my monthly Bizarre Bazaar column in Visions (www.online-visions.com). No password needed and, best of all, it's free!
There's a ton of other good material in it, too.
cheers,
Peter Marucci
showtimecol@aol.com
Smile
StrangeMagick
View Profile
Special user
617 Posts

Profile of StrangeMagick
A friend of mine, Joe Lantiere, has a more complete bibliography of Bizarre Magic Books and periodicals. He also lists books and periodicals on Seance work.

Here's the link:

http://members.aol.com/Lantiere/booklist.htm

Happy Samhain all!

Magickally,
Dave Birtwell
illusionfreak
View Profile
New user
Michigan
18 Posts

Profile of illusionfreak
Check out the re-release of Swami-Mantra...If it's still available...really good stuff in it.
Walon
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of Walon
Awhile back I was sifting through book recommendations and I remember coming across a book on bizarre magic which utilized Wonder Words, and contained one particular effect in which the volunteer actually perceived time slowing down and stopping.

Does anyone happen to know offhand what book that might be? If it helps, it was on a UK website and the book went for about 30 pound.

Thanks.
"Trauma is the Engine of Initiation"

Walon
Purveyor of Fine Used Souls
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3816 Posts

Profile of The Curator
I'm (very) proud and happy to let you know that "Compendium Sortilegionis" has been published. A sequel to "Legendes urbaines" available at http://www.slatkine.com
For French readers only... Smile Smile Smile Smile
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
I suppose I must now learn another language!
Mr. Chelman! your books are quite exquisite, I only wish more of them were in English for us multi-lingual impaired! (I can deal with the archaeology books form Europe, they have many many pictures!)
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com
Caleb Strange
View Profile
Special user
Manchester UK
676 Posts

Profile of Caleb Strange
Walon, the book you're thinking of is Luke Jermay's 'Building Blocks'. You can order it here:

http://www.alakazam.co.uk/acatalog/Hot_List_1.html

Regards,

Caleb Strange.
-- QCiC --
montz
View Profile
Special user
576 Posts

Profile of montz
Ahoy! I'd also recommend Alexandre's new ebook, available from http://www.eyesandminds.com

I reviewed it in the reveiw section a while back... It's called "Secret Window".

Hope that helps!

Failing that, check out http://www.underground-collective.com for a rather excellent effect called Henry Sugar...

If I wasn't so modest... I'd be perfect!

Smile
Anabelle
View Profile
Special user
951 Posts

Profile of Anabelle
I've read Henry Sugar and I think it's awesome! I think Alexandre's work is inspiring as well as Luke Jermay's, Brother Shadow's, and Docc Hilford's among a few others! Peter's column is very interesting too!

Anabelle Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Books about Bizzare Magic (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL