The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » I'm not new, but a friend is.... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jay
View Profile
Elite user
Northern New Jersey
406 Posts

Profile of Jay
Hey gang, I have been posting here for a long time and need some advice. I did an MC gig yesterday and did various bits in between the acts. My friend came to the show and saw me vanish a silk hankerchief in my bare hands with sleeves rolled up, and no cover. Well, you all know how I did it, but he told me today that he lost sleep over it last night!

He is a mid 50's Nurse Manager who plays semi-professional guitar in a blues band, doing mostly bar shows. He asked me to guide him towards purchasing and learning a few visual things (including the silk vanish) that he could perform between songs or when there is a minute or two of dead time. He is very trustworthy and I know he would keep the secrets, but I have mixed feelings about tipping a staple of my repertoire such as the TT.

Onto the question: Can you all give me some ideas as to what I can have him purchase and practice in a loud bar setting? I am thinking about D'Lites probably, which would PROBABLY not tip the actual original use of a TT if I don't bring it up. I am also going to tell him about the Fulves Self-Working Series and the Hampton Ridge "25 Tricks with a ..." series. He is looking for something visual and easy and quick to perform. So far, I am going to recommend D'Lites. Please, any other thoughts would be welcome! Thanks for the help, in advance.

Jay Smile
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Color Changing Hank
Spellbound with a guitar pick
Coloring Book with a notebook of lyrics/music
Knife Through Coat
Thumb Tie using tape
??
...to all the coins I've dropped here
redstreak
View Profile
Inner circle
A.K.A David Kong
1368 Posts

Profile of redstreak
I would think D'Lights, they can be done with no patter and are good in a dark place.
Zeftron
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of Zeftron
If he's that interested and starts reading, he'll discover a TT for himself. Anyway, don't D'Lites describe themselves as an ordinary TT with a light inside?
what
View Profile
Special user
Lehi, UT, USA
643 Posts

Profile of what
I would steer him toward Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic book. It has numerous effects and routines that he would find useful. He could study up a bit and find out what interests him most.
Magic is fun!!!
Jay
View Profile
Elite user
Northern New Jersey
406 Posts

Profile of Jay
Hey gang, thanks for all the advice...keep it coming. JonTown has the right idea. My buddy doesn't want to study up or find what interests him: he wants to know a couple of tricks!

I am trying to find the right balance between exposing principles to him that he may not know or care about in the future, and offering some good strong easy magic. That's why I am thinking "gimmicks" all the way. Gimmicks don't often expose basic principles. In fact, we may know too much about this stuff.

For example, pretend you don't know ANYTHING about magic's inner workings at all. You are a spectator. Now imagine that I perform D'Lites for you and then expose its secret to you. Would you really think, "Hey, if I took out all this circuitry, I could make a handkerchief disappear in there!" Nope. No way. That's why I am comfortable advising him to get D'Lites with little fear of TT exposure.

Thoughts?

Jay Smile
Bong780
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto, Canada
172 Posts

Profile of Bong780
You should first explain to him some "rules" of performing magic. A few rules like: never reveal a secret; not to repeat the same trick to same audience; not to tell audience what the effect is; and so on.
Mistro
View Profile
Special user
Canada
577 Posts

Profile of Mistro
I second the D'Lights! Try to see if you can find the gold ones.
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
Personally I would not teach any magic to someone who isn't even interested or curious enough to want to at least go to a library or bookstore to check out a book on magic. It sounds to me like he is more interested in boosting his ego with "look what I can do" rather than entertain with magic. What I would do is give the guy a set of D'Lights and tutor him a bit and then sit back and let nature take its course. Your friend may find, after learning a routine with the D'Lights, he has a real interest in the art of magic and will WANT to learn more and WILL study up on it.

My post may sound harsh but it is, after all, only my opinion and attitude. In the end you will do what you think is right. Exposing one "secret" to anyone does magic no harm, exposing many secrets to the uninterested can only hurt their own enjoyment and take the "magic" out of future magic shows for them. Why ruin their magic experience for life?

Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
Nathan J. Roberts
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of Nathan J. Roberts
I like the D'Lite suggestions too, but why not the Pro Nitemare? We think it's simple, but lay audiences go crazy over it.
Smile
stevek
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of stevek
Hi y'all. I'm the guy that Jay was posting about. (Even if he did have me as a bit older than I am...I'll talk to him about it in the AM) I've been seriously bitten by the magic bug. Jay was kind enough to give me a gift of Mark Wilson's "Complete Course in Magic" book, and my trip to Vegas really set the hook. I'm looking forward to becoming a member of the community, and look forward to learning the craft and it's history. Jay and I will have a NICE discussion about my age.
rikbrooks
View Profile
Inner circle
Olive Branch, Mississippi
1317 Posts

Profile of rikbrooks
Well, Steve, welcome and nice to meet you. Please understand that we aren't trying to 'keep others out' of magic - to the contrary. Most of us take the time to teach others. What we are trying to avoid is the layman that wants to practice 5 minutes and have a 'killer' routine. What happens is that he does learn SOMETHING, but it's performed poorly and clumsily, the secret is exposed, he looks like a bumbling idiot and we have another 'guy that knows a dorky trick' which doesn't do ANYONE any good and that particular trick is ruined for that spectator forever.

If you really are serious and start studying you'll find many people here that will help you along your new path.
Magicmaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1235 Posts

Profile of Magicmaven
Someone mentioned a D'lite set. I didn't think of that at first, but that would be great. It's not too hard to learn, not that pricey, and with some dimmed lights, it could look great!
A Ted Lesleys's marked deck is great too. You could teach him a few simple uses with it; I try to vear towards more skillful magic, but somethings with that deck can look great, and get great reactions!

Rmax Goodwin
rmaxgoodwin.com
https://rmaxgoodwin.com/
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
"perform between songs"

'Color Changing Rope'
'Rope to Silk'
'Squaring the Circle'
'Color Changing CDs'

Flash and lights.

Hmmmm..wouldn't this be nice?

Giant pick production.
Chinese Wand Drumsticks
Guitar String to Slinky

I notice that many of the mages here at the MC are also musicians. Check out this forum. Maybe PM some folks and get their opinions.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=32
The Great Blackwell
View Profile
New user
Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
58 Posts

Profile of The Great Blackwell
Great ideas, Jaz. WELCOME stevek, glad you wrote to introduce yourself and that you were "bitten by the bug!" Please write back and share what works best in your venues.
-Dave in Minneapolis

"Never trust anyone in a wedding dress, especially a woman!"
-Sam Malone
rikbrooks
View Profile
Inner circle
Olive Branch, Mississippi
1317 Posts

Profile of rikbrooks
One fella told me that during restaurant work he likes to carry a laser pen and shine a dot on a table. Then he walks up and 'grabs' the light, beginning his D'Lite routine with, "They just leave these around everywhere."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » I'm not new, but a friend is.... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL