The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Scryer's Band of Readers (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..12~13~14~15~16~17 [Next]
mota
View Profile
Inner circle
1658 Posts

Profile of mota
My book is in great shape. The cover and binding are tight with no binding problems. As far as paper quality goes I have the book in front of me and while it isn't glossy the paper quality is fine and comparable to any book I have ever bought.

I would appreciate other's thoughts who have the book as far as binding and paper quality goes.
mysticz
View Profile
Special user
D.C. metro area
680 Posts

Profile of mysticz
I just received my copy of Band of Readers and find the quality of the physical book to be fine -- beautiful cover, tight binding, quite adequate paper. I am pleased with this book and proud to be associated with it.

Neal and Richard have once again produced a satisfactory product that provides quality throughout.

Joe Z.
Joe Zabel
"Psychic Sorcery"

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

-- Shakespeare's Hamlet I.v. 174-175
lostpoet
View Profile
Special user
610 Posts

Profile of lostpoet
Quote:
On 2013-01-29 21:38, Magical Dimensions wrote:
Wow, I just sat down to read this book and noticed the cheap paper that it was printed on. Not only that, I open the book to page 162 and started reading. I then turn the page to 164 and as I was reading that page, I noticed the spine of the book coming undone. Between the two pages I can see thread/string holding the book together. I am not a betting man, but I will make a prediction and say that the pages will be falling out sooner or later. I had only read 2 and 1/2 pages when I noticed the spine looking back at me.

It has been a very long time since I bought a physical book and am rethinking that a PDF would have been better IMHO. When I have E-books printed, I use nice paper and have the book combed. This way I have a great looking book and higher end paper.

I have only read those limited amount of pages and like what I have read. Yes, the information seems to be worth the price tag, but the physical book isn't.

Best
Ray

that no good. my book she be a beauty and maybe take for out to eat. but he book for take-out only.
think problem for it be Mr Ray get he pendulum to close to book. he pendulum bend keys so spine on book no problem.
if not case and pendulum far away from book then it lulu.
they tell it one time that lulu be the good publish and fix any defect. think best to tell lulu they make ugly book for he and send beauty book like others get.
Paul Shirley
View Profile
Inner circle
Melbourne, Australia
1206 Posts

Profile of Paul Shirley
Quote:
Between the two pages I can see thread/string holding the book together.

Mine must have been bound using loops! Can't see a thread in sight.... Smile

I have just given my copy a good ole bending back and forth... seems to be holding up just fine. Maybe you should get in contact with LuLu, Ray?

I am positive that neither Neal, or RIchard would be happy to hear this about one of their products.

BTW... Loving the content so far.....
MDantes
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1435 Posts

Profile of MDantes
Quote:
On 2013-01-29 22:46, lostpoet wrote:
Quote:
Wow, I just sat down to read this book and noticed the cheap paper that it was printed on. Not only that, I open the book to page 162 and started reading. I then turn the page to 164 and as I was reading that page, I noticed the spine of the book coming undone. Between the two pages I can see thread/string holding the book together. I am not a betting man, but I will make a prediction and say that the pages will be falling out sooner or later. I had only read 2 and 1/2 pages when I noticed the spine looking back at me.

It has been a very long time since I bought a physical book and am rethinking that a PDF would have been better IMHO. When I have E-books printed, I use nice paper and have the book combed. This way I have a great looking book and higher end paper.

I have only read those limited amount of pages and like what I have read. Yes, the information seems to be worth the price tag, but the physical book isn't.

Best
Ray

that no good. my book she be a beauty and maybe take for out to eat. but he book for take-out only.
think problem for it be Mr Ray get he pendulum to close to book. he pendulum bend keys so spine on book no problem.
if not case and pendulum far away from book then it lulu.
they tell it one time that lulu be the good publish and fix any defect. think best to tell lulu they make ugly book for he and send beauty book like others get.

True LP. True.

My copies condition is tip top like everybody else's copies...

If there is a problem regarding the binding of the book Id suggest contacting lulu. They have excellent customer service.

As for the book itself. The hard cover and page quality is NOT cheap.

At all.

It's almost bible quality;)

Rather, it is VERY fine. Like a babies ass.

Like mesika's thread. Like your momma. (Snap!)

I know we understand, too, that Neal and Richard don't sew the book together:)

I know lulu will square you away.

As far as the content of the book is concerned that quality is fantastic.

With all of this hullabaloo I am beginning to wish Neal would only make private releases.

I have some material that I have had for so long, that is so powerful, given to me by some very important people, that is being held together by tape on fragile paper and in a plastic sleeve in a three ring binder.

If these pages ever fell out, I would definitely treat them the same.

Maybe your library can help out Ray:)

I'm sure they have some nice people there.
S.A.N.C.T.U.M Chapter 18

Member 17
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Mine's fine too! sounds like a lulu production problem... contact them via their help section... its not like neal and richard bind them by hand!
I've asked to be banned
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5001 Posts

Profile of Magical Dimensions
Quote:
On 2013-01-30 01:52, IAIN wrote:
Mine's fine too! sounds like a lulu production problem... contact them via their help section... its not like neal and richard bind them by hand!

LOL.... I can see both Neal and Richard sitting at an old desk like monks writing with feather pens and then binding all the books. LOL

Besides my little concerned, I am really impressed with this book!

This will be hard to beat for the best book of 2013.

Sorry for getting off topic in this thread. Let's just focus of the stuff that is in the book and forget about what I wrote. It was just the luck of the draw. LOL

Best
Ray
MDantes
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1435 Posts

Profile of MDantes
Quote:
On 2013-01-30 04:21, Magical Dimensions wrote:

Besides my little concerned, I am really impressed with this book!

This will be hard to beat for the best book of 2013.

Sorry for getting off topic in this thread. Let's just focus of the stuff that is in the book and forget about what I wrote. It was just the luck of the draw. LOL

Best
Ray

I trust my, nor Iain's posts, implied your concern was "small", trivial, unnecessary, needed forgetting, or was off topic.

We were simply making a suggestion for a resolution the binding issue and I lightly disagreed with your production quality opinion.

I happen to have the opinion that the paper is fine:)

For me.

I understand you disagree.

Come on Ray Ray!

:)

It's all in the good man.

Maybe indeed be one of the best releases this year. Being so early it's hard to tell. It's definitely a contender. DMac would say "it has legs."

(Tongue and Cheek) This year is already flying by!
S.A.N.C.T.U.M Chapter 18

Member 17
B.Clay
View Profile
New user
97 Posts

Profile of B.Clay
I have to agree with MDantes. My copy is in fine condition and the paper is not cheap. In fact, it's identical to that of "Carnival of Secrets." (I have them open side by side as I write this.) Lulu is a pretty reliable publisher but it certainly is possible that a copy or two can slip through the cracks of quality control. I suggest to take digital photos of the spine and include them when you contact Lulu. They have responsible customer service from my experience and would address any damaged or inferior binding issues. No need to settle or feel upset.

Regards,
B.
Jonathan100
View Profile
Loyal user
292 Posts

Profile of Jonathan100
So many posts yet so little information about the contents itself!
aligator
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2044 Posts

Profile of aligator
It has arrived. Working today so won't be able to really get into this till tomorrow. The contents are just what one would expect them to be.....a collection of articles about various aspects of reading. I full expect it to be as enchanting as been suggested by those already reporting.
Moderncelt
View Profile
Veteran user
Twin Cities MN
343 Posts

Profile of Moderncelt
Jonathan: A little patience. There is a lot to digest in this book. But I will say that there are items within the first 100 pages that I am looking at doing some rewrites to my book. There is Juan David Arbelaez's tool to help give a client something to do when what they really need to do for a time is "nothing", and some information by Meraux Dantes that I will use far more often in my personal reading that if feel is just good client care that will differentiate you from the dime a dozen crowd.

All this and I'm not even a quarter of the way through the book
Amirá
View Profile
Inner circle
MentalismCenter.com
5131 Posts

Profile of Amirá
If you want to see an unpacking (maybe you are not sure about the book), look this video
https://vimeo.com/58588022

And you will fall in love
(with the book)

Best
Pablo
Performer and Author

Mentalism Center: The best online space to get quality Mentalism
www.mentalismcenter.com

Arkanosophy: The Boutique for Mystery Performers
www.arkanosophy.com
Mikael Eriksson
View Profile
Inner circle
None of your business
1064 Posts

Profile of Mikael Eriksson
Very nice Amirá!
SamNJ
View Profile
Regular user
158 Posts

Profile of SamNJ
Pablo, if there were an Academy Award of Unpacking, you would win, hands down! Probably one of the most suspenseful videos I've ever seen. Of course, in Neal's Band of Readers, you had great material to work with.
Sam
Amirá
View Profile
Inner circle
MentalismCenter.com
5131 Posts

Profile of Amirá
It was a difficult task... I know...

All for Neal Smile

Enjoying the reading, bye!

Best
Pablo
Performer and Author

Mentalism Center: The best online space to get quality Mentalism
www.mentalismcenter.com

Arkanosophy: The Boutique for Mystery Performers
www.arkanosophy.com
Seth speaks
View Profile
Inner circle
New Mexico
1250 Posts

Profile of Seth speaks
Wow, this book doesn't disappoint in the least! While, as in any collection, there are certainly a couple of articles that fall a bit flat (for me personally) the overwhelming majority are simply gold! The Tony Michaels section on business practices, for example, is worth the price of the book and then some; just wonderful information! (And Iain, your section was killer, for a number of reasons!!) I didn't start at the beginning, as my habit is to skip around, and I've only read a tiny fraction so far. But what a solid beast of a book! I'll be referring back to it for many years. Awesome purchase--if you're on the fence, get it. Seriously.

Seth
aligator
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2044 Posts

Profile of aligator
Agree with Seth. Everything that I have read so far has been more than worthwhile. Used a nice little touch from Neal in one of my readings last night.
espkeith
View Profile
Veteran user
CT, USA
354 Posts

Profile of espkeith
I agree. If the list of contributors and contents didn't sell anyone on it, then I will also add that I too, love the "sections" by individual authors. And while this may be old news for some, the Webster contribution on coming up with your own oracle is a very welcome addition, and one I did not expect. This one is going to keep me busy for a loooong time, and while I sometimes find many products (especially higher-priced ones) lacking, this is substantial (if not ridiculous) amount of value for money....provided you're going to use it.
lucavolpe
View Profile
Inner circle
Italy - London
3349 Posts

Profile of lucavolpe
Quote:
On 2013-01-31 19:41, Amirá wrote:
It was a difficult task... I know...

All for Neal Smile

Enjoying the reading, bye!

Best

Thanks Pablo I know the book is arrive to my home iItaly and I cant wait to read it!!!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Scryer's Band of Readers (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..12~13~14~15~16~17 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL