The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Scryer's Band of Readers (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5..15~16~17 [Next]
Jonathan100
View Profile
Loyal user
292 Posts

Profile of Jonathan100
I think that the people who are disappointed with the books is due to the hype around them.

If the books would just be labeled as books on mentalism and reading then that would be one thing, But when people label them as the greatest thing, the ultimate thing, the one piece of literature that will change mentalism forever... well then it's quite a different matter.
Anybody who is knowledgeable in influence theory can see many of the principles applied here.
To be fair there are some other items that are also hailed as the greatest thing etc. but quite frankly no product could really live up to that, and any experience mentalist should know that. Nevertheless it's quite tempting to be lured into believing that the ultimate effect is out there and waiting to be yours for a couple of hundred dollars.

So what seems to be the issue is not necessarily the material itself but with the hype around it, and in that respect I could understand those who feel disappointed since they were promised unrealistic expectations.
EVILDAN
View Profile
Inner circle
1251 Posts

Profile of EVILDAN
Then they have no one to blame but themselves.

Look how many times the iPhone has been out and how many times there have been problems with them right from launch. People want to buy into the hype just to say they were "there" when it first came out. They even camp out for days ahead of time so they can be there first. Everyone wants to be first. Which, as an aside, reminds me of local magic clubs. Everyone wanted to be the first one to present the newest magic trick that came out so they can be the envy of all the other club members that month. Afterwards, I'm sure the effect got put into a drawer while they scanned the magic ads waiting for the next cool thing to be released.

If you fall into the the hype and buy before the reviews are out, then you deserve to be disappointed if you don't get what you expected. If you don't know the source of the review, look for one you trust.

I've had the pleasure of seeing Scryer perform in different settings. There seems to be an air about him that makes people believe he is the real deal. Part of it is his personality and part of it is his approach to presenting his material. If what you read doesn't seem ground breaking to you, perhaps you are looking for under the wrong rock.

It may not necessarily be technique. Sometimes it's the presentation that's groundbreaking. And sometimes the simplicity of it all makes it so elegant.
by EVILDAN....
"The Coin Board Book" - moves and routines with the coin panel board. - http://www.lybrary.com/the-coin-board-book-p-827955.html
"SLASHER - A Horror Whodunnit" - a bizarre close-up routine based on Bob Neale's "Sole Survivor."
PM me for more info.
"Zombie Town" - a packet effect about how a small town turned into zombies. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nzJhcoJtyOM
CarlZen
View Profile
Special user
752 Posts

Profile of CarlZen
Jonathan you are always complaining that's all you do from day one constantly.So just simply don't buy it plain and simple.
Jonathan100
View Profile
Loyal user
292 Posts

Profile of Jonathan100
Carl I've no idea what you are talking about! You must be thinking of someone else.
With regards to the specific post I didn't complain I merely made some observations!
CarlZen
View Profile
Special user
752 Posts

Profile of CarlZen
OK.Sorry for the misunderstanding all good Jonathan.
David Numen
View Profile
Inner circle
1768 Posts

Profile of David Numen
Thing is hype is part of the territory - there's a lot of stuff on here that gets severely hyped and the truth is, as it always has been with the art, the more you learn the less you get bitten. It really is that simple.

The books that tend to be limited either by print run or by price - a hobbyist looking for the next best thing to amaze their friends with is not likely to spring $260 on Scryer and Friends - tend to receive a lot of hype. But again, the better your knowledge the better able you are to judge whether something receiving hype is worthy of your investment. At times, and I find this is true especially with the expensive stuff, a vibe comes of from some (but by no means all) people that comes across a little elitist but again, the better your knowledge the more astute you will be at judging when that is happening.
keeblem
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1166 Posts

Profile of keeblem
Quote:
On 2012-10-10 02:18, Paul Shirley wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-10-10 01:30, keeblem wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-10-09 17:36, DrRob wrote:
It comes down to something I previously commented on in relation to one of Neal's previous releases, only those worthy of the wonders shared from the mind of Neal should have access to them, a select club so to speak.

Neal, Richard and Steven's magic are running a business and are trying to make money. If Neal or Richard shared your sentiments then I wonder if these works would have ever been written.
Mark

YEAH!! like those pesky, self serving artists, that made multi millions from painting.... 100 years AFTER they died.
Did you ever consider that the likes of Webster and Scryer just want to share knowledge for the sake of our ART!?
Like I said... No one... Including Scryer, is getting fat loads of cash by producing these books... I would be amazed if they come close to breaking even after all the costs are taken out of it.
Wake up.

You've missed my point. I have the upmost respect for Richard Webster - and I have really enjoyed Neal's books. I was merely pointing out that if they didn't want the knowledge in these books to be shared with all (as suggested by Dr Rob) then the books, of course, would never have been published.

Mark
JohnWells
View Profile
Inner circle
The Southern Wild
1791 Posts

Profile of JohnWells
Broke even? Maybe, but barely. These aren't trade paperbacks that will sell 1,000 copies, which is about the only way to profit from books. Self published books are notoriously expensive since you essentially have to rent a entire printing operation, and even at $250 a pop the smaller quantity, once you tack on shipping costs and the other incidental matters, does not amount to a payload. The 1 effect, $50 ebooks will make a bit of money, printed texts very little.
keeblem
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1166 Posts

Profile of keeblem
Quote:
On 2012-10-10 17:54, JohnWells wrote:
Broke even? Maybe, but barely. These aren't trade paperbacks that will sell 1,000 copies, which is about the only way to profit from books. Self published books are notoriously expensive since you essentially have to rent a entire printing operation, and even at $250 a pop the smaller quantity, once you tack on shipping costs and the other incidental matters, does not amount to a payload. The 1 effect, $50 ebooks will make a bit of money, printed texts very little.

I stand corrected!

They are great books and I certainly hope that Richard and Neal are achieving their vision.

Mark
Darrell Mac
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of Darrell Mac
Hi guys I was wondering if any of you have ever heard of the Gentleman or know of anything about Palo Santo? He was given my contact info from a close friend and trusted member of our fraternity. We spoke briefly about a contribution that he placed in Scryers Band of Readers book. (It was very interesting as it had to do with a Zombie Ju Ju bag.) what was shared was Very Real and Very Interesting. 
  I was just looking for some feed back from anyone who might have some knowledge on this Piece or know of Palo Santo. (Can HE be Trusted?) 
Smoking Camel
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1002 Posts

Profile of Smoking Camel
Quote:
On 2012-10-10 02:18, Paul Shirley wrote:

Like I said... No one... Including Scryer, is getting fat loads of cash by producing these books... I would be amazed if they come close to breaking even after all the costs are taken out of it.

Wake up.

Scyer and friends cost $259 I think close to a 1000 copies 1st yr sales would be a healthy target.

Are you suggesting that the costs are in the 100's of thousands?
I no longer smoke camel cigarettes.
SamNJ
View Profile
Regular user
152 Posts

Profile of SamNJ
In discussing "Palo Santo" with a fellow member of the Band of Readers, we concluded that Palo Santo is the pseudonym of a guy who bases his readings on Voodoo, as he is deeply steeped in that tradition. We think that we know his identity, that he splits his time between Brooklyn and Miami, but we're reluctant to guess it "out loud" here, in the event that we're mistaken. If it's who we think it is, however, he is the real deal. Can he be trusted? If it's Mr. X, I'd say, Yes.
Darrell Mac
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of Darrell Mac
SamNJ, Thank You for the feedback. Your opinon is Appreciated. (the mind rests) secrets are safe.
From what I heard of this "Zombie Theory" I'm looking forward to reading it in detail.
Jonathan100
View Profile
Loyal user
292 Posts

Profile of Jonathan100
Here we go again!
MDantes
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1386 Posts

Profile of MDantes
It has been a while since eye have seen you sir. The next time we get together we will talk more about Santo. He may even stop
by as he is always usually close...

I know know Santo personally.

And he can be trusted.

However, his teachings, practice and knowledge mentioned here are in area of hoodoo. (Often confused with voodoo (Vodu))

No need to worry D. He mentioned that you two met once before already apparently.... (?)

In the Carolina's. I am not sure how though. Says you helped him find "some work" but that you probably wouldn't remember.

Interesting enough, I got an email from a guy with an interesting name too.

We will talk soon bruddha.

Pacis
S.A.N.C.T.U.M Chapter 18

Member 17
Darrell Mac
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of Darrell Mac
Thanks MD, for sharing. There's qite a bit of people in NC.
To bad I can't remember the meeting.

I think we do need to meet for coffee soon.

Take care my Friend.
Darrell Mac
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of Darrell Mac
Hey MD, I curious about that Email.

Talk Soon
MDantes
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1386 Posts

Profile of MDantes
I can't say anything else about Palo here as he has asked me not to say much about him in text.

As for the email... It was also in regards to work in the book and signed with a strange name...

Ill say more on the boat...

Mańana

ONE
S.A.N.C.T.U.M Chapter 18

Member 17
tctahoe
View Profile
V.I.P.
Lakeland Fl.
697 Posts

Profile of tctahoe
Smoking Camel, 1000 copies 1st yr sales would be a healthy target? For a specialized Magic book? That would surprise me. I hope I am wrong, as I wish all the best to the authors and contributors. But that you seems high to me.
Darrell Mac
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of Darrell Mac
Ladies and Gentlemen This Just in from Steven's... here is some updated information.

Forwards from the pair of Doc's, The legendary Doc Shiels and Docc Hilford. Afterword: by Jon Stetson.

Neal is honored beyond words to have these three icon's contributing towards this outstanding ground breaking project...

BIG SURPRISE! Keith Barry was kind enough to contribute one of his pieces in Band of Readers, which will also be featured in a forthcoming book - titled Riding the Hierophant. Riding The Hierophant will be collaboration from Doc Shiels and Keith Barry.

Look for contributors in our next flash. We can tip that there will be over 30 of them.

Check out Recent Postings about Readings and this forthcoming project!

We all love magic and mentalism. I've worked in many venue's where they have multiple entertainers, and each time, the people gravitate towards the readers - especially the women.
D. Mac - Reader East Coast Under ground Psychic Reader.

The ability to give a reading is essential for any mentalist.This book covers the gamut. - Ted Karmilovich

I make a substantial part of my income doing readings. The best part of being a reader is helping people in a very real sense. Doing readings is a very rewarding activity for both the sitter AND the reader. Plus, you get to meet some really nice people. - Tony Razzano

"A no-brainer for anyone who wishes to make a comfortable, full-time living doing readings...brought to you by the best in the business and tipping Neal Scryer's expert take on the subject, there's never been a book written like this one nor will there ever be again!" - Jerome Finley

What Scryer and Friends was for the art of Mentalism - Scryer's Band of Readers will be for the art of Reading (in multiple ways). The book many in the industry is hoping will never be released - No Joke!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » Scryer's Band of Readers (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5..15~16~17 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.68 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL