The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Taking to court (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
A lady at a yacht club hired me (4 conversations). I called to confirm the night before - when I showed-up she informed me her husband found someone for free... so I wasn't needed and she dismissed me rudely.

The next morning I was pacing back and forth in front of her house with a sign that read Mr's P*** is a thief. They paid me cash within ten minutes.

Apparently, in some upscale neighbourhoods it's not good for your image when people picket you.
MichaelCGM
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma City
2286 Posts

Profile of MichaelCGM
Nice move!
Magically Yours,

Magical Michael

MagicalMichael.com Smile Laus Deo!
Joseph_Then
View Profile
Special user
747 Posts

Profile of Joseph_Then
In Singapore, I found out from my lawyer friends that email confirmations are legally binding. So I just need to prepare confirmation with cancellation clause and even if there is an unforeseen cancellation, we don't even want to activate them.

We just let them go.

I had once arrived at the party and the client's husband's illness suddenly struck an hour before the party starts. I arrived, my caricature artist arrived, and so do the camera guy, cake, decorations, etc. PLUS, their guests arrived.

The party has to be cancelled.

What do you want us to do? We just have to go. Our client called us wanting to pay us for the inconvenience but we just let it go. In return, we actually got another party booking for the child again, plus referrals from this client's friends too.

Perhaps letting go with a big heart will bring you more business in future.

Quote:
On 2012-10-07 19:57, MichaelCGM wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-10-07 19:39, Kevinr wrote: Now if its a school, stage show they that is the ONLY time I have any kind of written agreement
Why?

Well, I guess it's more of a business dealing than a personal dealing?
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
I showed-up at a home and asked "What room is it in"... "What - Room - Is - It - In -?" a simple question.... the kids led me into a converted dining room housing a coffin with grandma laying in it !!!
No one told me there was a death in the family..... so - I left as quietly as I could and told the kids I must have come to the wrong address.

On the other hand. A lady hired me and AS I WAS GETTING IN MY CAR to drive to the park - on a beautiful sunny day - the phone rang and the husband said not to come because he didn't want to spend any money. And it was probably going to rain. (in the middle of summer with a -0- chance of precipitation in So-Cal)

In that case, I drove the three miles (I was on a mission) and immediately tracked-down the husband. I explained how I would go to every guest and tell them how cheap he was, especially since the little girl was expecting a magic show. Then insisted he pay up-front...... after it was over, the wife thanked me half a dozen times for doing the right thing and coming anyway.

I'm just saying - every cancelation has a reason - and some of them just don't cut it. Sometimes people cancel and DO reschedule... let me remember the last time that happened... mmm No, not then, Let's see, was it in 82? No... mmm when was it? ... Oh yeah.. I was 14 and it was for a friend of my mother who made her do it.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2012-10-07 22:18, jay leslie wrote:
A lady at a yacht club hired me (4 conversations). I called to confirm the night before - when I showed-up she informed me her husband found someone for free... so I wasn't needed and she dismissed me rudely.

The next morning I was pacing back and forth in front of her house with a sign that read Mr's P*** is a thief. They paid me cash within ten minutes.

Apparently, in some upscale neighbourhoods it's not good for your image when people picket you.

It would be dangerous to try that in Detroit.
stuartmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Derby England (UK)
240 Posts

Profile of stuartmagic
Mr Shiney,

Hi there. From a fellow countryman I am sorry to see that you have had a problem client but it happens and it is best to try and put in place preventative measures to make sure it is less likely to happen.

From my personal experience, yes I too have had a no show when I turned up and they just simply said that they changed their mind. This was when I was just starting out as a pro, I went back to my car and was not a happy bunny. I called them all the names under the sun and on driving home I decided that I would or more importantly should put something in place to make sure that I would not be out of pocket again. This is why from then on I take a deposit for all shows to at least cover expenses . Since then I have never had a no show as the client, no matter who they are, have paid a deposit and will not think about cancelling the show. Put yourself in their shoes, would you think to cancel something if you have paid a deposit upfront ?

I notice you are not in Equity. I cannot see why anyone in the UK who is a full time pro does not join, even if it is only to get free public liability. I have a bit of a better insight being on the committee of the East Midlands Branch but they are there for if you need them and more impirtantly for the shows that pay the big bucks they insist on some sort of public liability and so it is a win win situation.

The worst thing is bounced cheques of which I currently have had 1 , the very first one ever , lucky me ! which I am chasing up. In all cases, especially with a bounced cheque, a polite and curteous manner with the client will get you the best results, you can always "have a go at them" in the comfort of your own home.

The most important thing to remember is you need to leave a good impression and you are always after repeat business and recommendation. Bad mouthing anyone will get you a reputation that will spread very quickly and result in no bookings. A private Birthday party where you lose out is bad for the stress levels but it isn't the end of the world and personally I would just brush it off and try to put in place measures to prevent it happening again.

If you still are not sure then Look at it from the other perspective. Have you ever turned up at a show and there should have been loads of kids but a large number have not turned up. Would you offer some of your fee back ? It's all swings and roundabouts really, you win some and lose some but fortunately the wins outway the losses by a huge amount and I would prefer to stay with the positive clients, it gives me a better buzz !.

Stuart.
KC Cameron
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, North Carolina
1944 Posts

Profile of KC Cameron
Well I won't mention deposits either . . .

But really, the person is going to be too embarrassed to try to hire you again if they cancel (generally). What would concern me is what they would say about me. You know they would not tell the truth, they would say something damaging about me to hurt my business to whomever they meet. For me, it would be too much trouble for nearly guaranteeing that I will get slandered. Not for a couple hundred bucks . . . but then again, I get deposits . . . Stress kills, and certainly sours my mood, so why dwell on something so damaging?
mr shiney
View Profile
Loyal user
266 Posts

Profile of mr shiney
Hi guy
Please don't think I'm to bothered course I'm not at all.
I was for a few hours after it happened that's why I posted.
I'm so lucky things like that have only happen twice in 12 years.
And the other time they said that someone was in hospital and forgot to call me so So I totally understood that situation.

It's not a big deal at all but for a few hours after you get Wound up thinking of all the parties that you've turned down and other children that wanted a mr shiney party.

The only thing I will do and this is a new thing, is make a list of any bad clients for Future Reference.

I'm not worried about her bad mouthing me let just say the area were she lives is not the most affluent and And just reinforces the stereotype of rough areas and bad clients
But It won't stop me taking bookings from that area because of a few bad apples. But I very much Doubt she will be turning up to any of my parties but if she does I would just Ignore her and get on with the party.

So guys please don't think I'm still mad or anything just needed to blow of some steam at the time, plus I've enjoyed this thread and if any one has any more story's

As for equity when I was a Professional dancer I had trouble with them something silly about in getting Provisional equity through the door in time for a dancing Contract.

And when I started as a children's entertainer I got my public liability a lot cheaper than it cost to join equity
But I am going to join them again.
Best Job in the world

Mr Shiney
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Jay, you made my morning. Fair play to you for sticking up for yourself so effectively.
Kevinr
View Profile
Inner circle
1854 Posts

Profile of Kevinr
Quote:
On 2012-10-07 20:02, mr shiney wrote:
May I ask why you have contracts with schools
As for me I've never had any problems with schools and such,
I'm way more likely to have problems with birthdays

Is it just to make things Official? Or do you have more problems with schools and stage shows?

Yes its because many if not all require it to get a check from the department writing the checks or I would not care there either. Almost all ask for an invoice and some kind of agreement.
Kevinr
View Profile
Inner circle
1854 Posts

Profile of Kevinr
Quote:

Let it go man. I do 4-6 parties every weekend and don't have time for this stuff. It's really not worth it. Life goes on Leslie.
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3171 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
I agree Kevinr. It's usually not worth it.

Every business has risks. People change their mind, customers will lie, cheat and steal from you.
But that's all part of doing business. Got to take the bad with the good.
Customers can be replaced easily, reputations can't.

Tom
KC Cameron
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, North Carolina
1944 Posts

Profile of KC Cameron
Mr Shiney,

Quote:
Professional dancer

Did you do the "Full Monte"?
mr shiney
View Profile
Loyal user
266 Posts

Profile of mr shiney
Quote:
On 2012-10-08 10:00, KC Cameron wrote:
Mr Shiney,

Quote:
Professional dancer

Did you do the "Full Monte"?

Lol
Funny you should ask!
I was once in a group "adonis men of hollywood" as a backing dancer NOT one off the strippers
we were the main rival to the Chippendales, and the owner of the Chippendales ended up going to prison for plained murder off members of our group.
the fed's uncover the plain before any of us got poisoned, don't you just love the later 80's early 90's

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/chi......524.html

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Adonis-Men-of-Ho......0004CLQD NOW that's THE 90's

Back then is was Women screaming and shouting

now it's kids screaming and shouting lol
Best Job in the world

Mr Shiney
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Quote:
On 2012-10-08 09:13, Kevinr wrote:
Quote:

Let it go man. I do 4-6 parties every weekend and don't have time for this stuff. It's really not worth it. Life goes on Leslie.

Rubbish. Jay acted in a great way to get what was owed him. Collecting our money is part of running a business.

I used to be a reporter. The paper had a policy of paying out on all libel claims to reduce legal costs. Word got out, and we were paying out on every frivolous case. But the editor could only pay out with the agreement of the reporter, and I finally said no. So the case went to court - and the newspaper won. It cost us a bit, but the funny thing was, the frivolous claims ended immediately. We saved money big time in the long term.

Jay sent out a message that he was a serious man who needed to be treated with respect, not the hired help who could be dismissed easily. I applaud him.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Quote:
On 2012-10-08 02:16, Dynamike wrote:
Quote:

It would be dangerous to try that in Detroit.

Another time I showed-up and there was a kid sitting in a chair, right on top of the gable roof acting like a lookout... so I looked around and saw all the windows with gates and the gang writing on every house and thought "This is a show for Dynamike!"
so I drove away without stopping.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Jay, you could have at least said "hi" to me before you left.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Quote:
On 2012-10-08 09:13, Kevinr wrote:
Quote:

Sometimes I let it go If I get a call a few days away, but in this case I unloaded my equipment including animals, had taken the elevator to the upper floor and was setting my show on the stage - That's when the lady told me, very rudely to immediately leave the premises because her husband found someone for free, then she grabbed my arm in an attempt to turn me around so I would pack and leave.

What would happen if you showed-up at an auction, which appears to be your full time profession, you were ready to begin the bidding when someone pinched you by the arm and told you to leave immediately because they found someone else? Aa a professional auctioneer, I would be a wee bit upset.

If this was Dynamike... he might have Dyna-miked them.
KC Cameron
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, North Carolina
1944 Posts

Profile of KC Cameron
Shiny,

That one guy on the vhs looks a little like you with hair....
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
Hey Mr Shiney has hair! It's just not on his head.

Deffo join Equity. A couple of times I've emailed a late payer and just mentioned that I may have to pass their details on to Equity for their lawyers to sort out and Bingo! cheque in the post.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Taking to court (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL