The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Egg Bag?? (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
TeslaTao
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of TeslaTao
Quote:
On 2012-11-23 11:28, Octopus Sun wrote:
@Tesla that's not Gr8gorilla, he just put that yout vid up for an example

Oh, sorry = /
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1334 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
Robert Blake thank you for all the great tips the one above is a good idea and the ones you PM me.
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1472 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
Let us know how the routine goes. have fun.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I created my egg bag routine out on the street so I didn't have to transition a parlor routine to out on the street.
Perhaps it was good that way.

It's one of my favorite routines to do.

I enjoy the classics like the eggbag because it's just you and a prop and a plot.
You have to fill in the rest with your personality.

I also think it takes guts to do routines with very little and I crave that challenge.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Quote:
On 2012-12-06 20:40, Mario Morris wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgJwmrAhzwg

BRILLIANT!
solrak29
View Profile
Special user
NY Metro
936 Posts

Profile of solrak29
Mr Paine's routine was introduced earlier in the thread; perhaps missed?

But personally I liked Gazzo's presentation of the egg bag routine that
he performed in his Penguin magic lecture.

Which leads me to question as to whether it has to be an egg that is used?
Think about it.

For the street, (not from experience), I always envisioned the egg bag
as a middle effect as apposed to a closer. Yet, I guess it is just a
matter of presentation and how you sell it from the beginning. As you
transition from your first effect, to second effect you keep selling this
great piece you are about to do as your closer...just a thought...perhaps
someone could expand on...
To Find Me On The Pitch, Follow me :On Twitter
Checkout my pseudo blog : The Sidewalk Performers Forum

"I intend to live forever, or die trying" - Groucho Marx
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1334 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
So from my last routine post things have come along a bit. As in my last post the phase still run as follows,
1-Make egg vanish / under the arm joke,
2-Egg reappears but its invisible,
3-Volunteer throws invisible egg in bag.
4- Real visible egg appears

In my paolur routine I start with showing the bag empty and making the egg appear. But the problem doing it on the street is once the egg appears from a empty bag and disappears again people don't worry to much about it come back. But what I have noticed if I show the bag and the egg. Then make the egg despair along with the joke about it repearing but invisible. At this point I realised people are waiting for it to come back for real. And with having fun with the kid I have time for a hat line and building up to my final routine.

I have been playing with a finale load a bit like the shoot glass. But it need lots of work. so here a little update ill keep you posted as more happens.
Enjoy your magic,

ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1472 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
The egg bag learns you how to build a routine. make it big build build build. look at the unicycle juggler. he shows his unicycle and the three torches. just by seeing that you know he can ride that and juggle the torches. you only want to see HOW he does that.

I end my routine with a child. see holds the bag. the takes the invisible egg (my case some air) and throws it in the bag and takes out the egg. at that moment I am standing in the audience. this is a build up. this is more interesting then the magician producing the egg. we know he can do that, but the child? the magic is the reaction on the face of the child. it is the only time a person takes out the egg from the bag. some performers let people take out the egg all the time I think this is wrong. if you do that at the first time what will you do to make that better? so keep that jewel to the end.

here is an old video of mine, go to 2.35 min. and see what I mean.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXIv-jZQb3c
troppobob
View Profile
Veteran user
Crescent Head Australia
372 Posts

Profile of troppobob
In that video the crowd did go wild - a great routine with the egg bag and the amazing Liza.
Bob Latta (aka Troppo bob)
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Robert you are a lot of fun to watch! You've got a heck of a show!

Egg bag is the perfect trick for the street. Angle proof, great potential for audience interaction, and can be stretched or shortened according to audience reactions or your need. If it works for you in any venue at all and not on the streets I have to wonder why. Placement in the show might be a factor (as solrak29 mentions above).

Honestly I don't like it as a closer. I like to close standing alone and not sharing the spotlight with anyone. It is hard to hat when you are sending someone back to the audience. I tend to have this as the penultimate trick (in any act in any venue).

All that said, I have used the egg bag as the only trick from time to time. On those occasions I will use a final load. OK I almost always use a final load (shot of fluid, lemon - for bill to lemon finale, etc). When this is a stand along trick I will try for the coke/beer bottle final load (Marlo).
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Chopingboard
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of Chopingboard
So maybe the egg bag might not work for some people, but maybe you can use it to introduce your next effect like make playing cards appear like in the mesh egg bag.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On 2013-03-24 04:28, ROBERT BLAKE wrote:
The egg bag learns you how to build a routine. make it big build build build. look at the unicycle juggler. he shows his unicycle and the three torches. just by seeing that you know he can ride that and juggle the torches. you only want to see HOW he does that.

I end my routine with a child. see holds the bag. the takes the invisible egg (my case some air) and throws it in the bag and takes out the egg. at that moment I am standing in the audience. this is a build up. this is more interesting then the magician producing the egg. we know he can do that, but the child? the magic is the reaction on the face of the child. it is the only time a person takes out the egg from the bag. some performers let people take out the egg all the time I think this is wrong. if you do that at the first time what will you do to make that better? so keep that jewel to the end.

here is an old video of mine, go to 2.35 min. and see what I mean.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXIv-jZQb3c

Hey Bob! Enjoyed the video! You do a great job with the bag! ALSO, Jay would have been very pleased to see the 'Jaspernese' thumb tie. --You really sell that!

I've been doing the bag since 1951, when Senor Mardo (originator of the "outside the bag" vanish (see Harold Sterling's catalog from the early '40s) showed it to me. The egg bag "goes' anywhere (well, almost!)

I especially agree with your point about the girl producing the egg ONLY AT THE END! Depending on the audience, sometimes I leave the egg in the 'you know where' and she can't 'find the egg' at first. I get all the kids to help by shouting the 'magic word' (old gag) or whatever is appropriate. THEN, she finds the egg. If THAT doesn't get a big mitt, I quit and go home!!! --To date, I haven't had to quit!!!

My first bag (Harold Sterling bag) was so worn out (it was 'darned' by my mother--back then)from use, that one could almost see 'through' it! Sterling was out of business! I finally found another at a magic club sale on the west coast of USA--(I was out there touring schools.) Five dollars! --I nearly tore my underwear, getting out my wallet!!!)

I have since found a 'bag lady' who makes one for me as needed. Three pieces of rope, a couple silks, a TT, an EGG BAG, and a tin can (plus some coins) and I can make a living!!!

Thanks again for sharing the video of your busking show! An excellent "lesson" for the young guys who want to do it!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
fireperformer911
View Profile
Special user
547 Posts

Profile of fireperformer911
Ok I used to do egg bag on street but mine was shortest description yet. Bring up kid show my hands empty then show egg bag empty. Walk edge and let 6 or 8 people reach in bag to see it was empty. Make a big deal about how the kid is greatest magician in the world get crowd to cheer like crazy for what kid was about to do and have kid reach in bag to pull out egg to another great round of applause. Good magic but great excuse for crowd to clap and cheer to get bigger audience.
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1472 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
Bob, Harry and Dick thanks for the kind words.
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1334 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
Robert Blake thank you for more help on the egg bag. I was worried that I was to much in to it but it seem we all like this and feel there a lot to do and think about. As I said on my update things are going well one thing I forgot is I use your idea of passing the invisible egg around amongst the kids. Like I say the routine is working well after a bit of tunning and I want to do more. I will get a video soon and post it up.
Enjoy your magic,

ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1472 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
Yellowcustard, I like to see that video. you are experiencing a lot now you are working on the routine. this is what the street does to you. if you can do this on the street it is easy on stage. have fun.
gman
View Profile
Special user
Lancaster, pa
751 Posts

Profile of gman
Has anybody seen these egg bags?

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=ins......_sacat=0

Not my link but they look nice.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Since 1951, when I started wit the STERLING/MARDO style bag, I have 'played with' the old standard bag. and the MALINI BAG. I tried the Malini in the act. It was good. I could do the routine that I got from Senor Mardo, with the Malini bag --even the 'outside the bag' vanish, but I went back to the Sterling/Mardo bag.

In the post above, I mentioned finding a Sterling/Mardo bag on the west coast for $5.00. When I picked it up at the ring meeting, I COULD NOT FIND THE GAFF! I had to look for it several times before I could locate it. I later learend that it was made by Jeff Busby, and sold for $50.00!

I looked at the bags in the links. I would not want one with crazy designs on it. And, frankly, although some Malini bags have rounded corners, I am not that 'impressed' with that feature.

I remember seeing one in a magic kit (I THINK it was a D. Robbins kit) that was made of vinyl! It was AWFUL!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
tboehnlein
View Profile
Inner circle
ohio
1787 Posts

Profile of tboehnlein
Whe I read the above description of the bag I tought it was strange that they emphasized the increased size, as I thought the ideal was to have the bag as small as possible to ensure that nothing more than the hand could fit inside the bag.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Egg Bag?? (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL