The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Egg Bag?? (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1472 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
My bag is 10" x 9". I did us the small type egg bag idea first. it did not work well for me. to small and the handling became awkward. esspecialy when I have to hold the bag and a person has to go into the bag to get he egg. some people don't like it to touch somebody else. so this size is good for me. and guess what my audiences react the same to my routine with the bigger size. I guess that magicians sometimes go to far in thier thinking.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8362 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
A cynic once asked President Abraham Lincoln, who was very tall, "How long should a man's legs be?" Lincoln, came back with, "Long enough to reach the ground!"

The EARLY egg bag was quite large (perhaps 15" x 15"). It was used to PRODUCE a quantity of eggs. Mike Caveney does a fine job with one, today! I saw the late DE YIP LOO, do it in 1954,--he killed a high school audience with it (his opening trick).

I think that the size of the bag (thinking about Lincoln's comment)depends on the SIZE OF THE MAGICIAN'S HANDS! --and his personal preferences. (See Bob Blake's note above--he has learned through experience what "works" for him! --and if you watched the video earlier, it definitely WORKS!)

In general, (and within reason!) the smaller the bag, the more impossible (in the spectators' minds)it is to hide something inside. BUT,too small a bag and it becomes awkward to handle. (working 'al fresco', one's hands can become damp with perspiration--makes it harder to get into and out of the bag.)Also,keep in mind, Bob's point about some people disliking touching another person --particularly an (Eheu!) 'itinerant mountebanc'!!!!!

The important point::: Even though WE call it the Egg BAG. IT IS NOT A B A G TRICK, IT IS AN E G G TRICK.

The bag is 'critical' to the EFFECT, but the egg's appearance and disappearance IS the effect!

If you are contemplating the performance of the Egg Bag, keep in mind DANTE'S comment about the Linking Rings! (You have to learn HOW TO PLAY!)
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1472 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
Dick, nice thoughts to think about, thank you.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8362 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Egad! I just reread my last post above. I note that I made a remark about 'itinerant mountebancs' that some might misinterpret! (The line about touching another person --an itinerant mountebanc) I should have inserted an LOL or a HEE HEE!!!

Looking back, I think that most of the comments and examples of routines, illustrate very well, that ancient cliche that we mountebancs have learned from hard experience: 'It aint WHAT you do! --It's HOW you do it!
Pokie-Poke
View Profile
Special user
Bensalem, PA
883 Posts

Profile of Pokie-Poke
Yes, it is true, it is not what you do but how you do it, BUT if we start with that look at all the good brain storming we would miss.

Thanks every one for fantastic timing, working on my own egg bag bit now. thinking mid game, as I don't have a big bang ending that would fit the story I'm working with. plus I just want to add it to the act, and I like my ending.
www.pokie-poke.com
The Adventure cont...
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8362 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Sorry Pokie-Poke, it appears that you miss the point. Perhaps when you've been around for awhile, you may understand.

"Brain storming" is a technique, used, usually by a group, to solve a problem. There is no problem here.

The statement is simple and clear. You admit the truth, as it is expressed.

Your second "paragraph" is more than a little bit 'jumbled".

Your first sentence starts with a thought, then wanders off with a phrase. If you were to finish the first thought with a period after "timing", and then add the simple pronoun 'I" and the verb 'am",you would have two complete sentences.

After that, you write a "string of 34 words", and that string of words wanders all over. It is not a sentence. (Sentences begin with the first word capitalized.) You write 34 words in a series of phrases that are not coherent.

I wonder about your egg bag "routine". It appears, but I can't be sure, that you have some sort of story planned (?)but you don't have a "big bang ending. You apparently just want to add the egg bag to your act, because you like the ending you have.

I guess that I went to the wrong school. I was never taught how to decode 'gibberish".
Motley Mage
View Profile
Special user
572 Posts

Profile of Motley Mage
I have an Egg Bag that I made by hand from a description in Bruce Elliott's MAGIC! that has fooled for years and years--very basic construction, very clear performance, The key seems to be in keeping the egg out of sight in the vanished position, and the key to that seems to be in clear conviction that it is, in fact" and, gone when vanished. The size of the bag seems quite irrelevant to me, and in fact quite clearly a matter of presentation. The idea that a smaller bag is " x better seems silly to me. Mine is roughly and has fooled everyone I have ever performed it for. Ever. Simple construction, simple performance, simply BEAUTIFUL. I promise.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8362 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Hi Motley~

De gustibus non est disputandum! (concerning tastes, we cannot argue!) I don't think that 'thee and me' have anything to argue about!

Yes!~ we can DISCUSS, colors, sizes, shapes and styles, but in the end, it comes down to PRESENTATION! --and it's apparent that you've discovered that,too! (Here we go again: IT AINT WHAT YOU DO, IT'S HOW YOU DO IT!)

YOU understand that! I fear that Pokey Poke never will (unless a miracle occurs!).

In 65 years, I've seen a "gezillion" egg bag routines. Many were just "so so". Some were quite good. A few were GREAT.

In every one of those "quite good" and those GREAT routines, it was very definitely the PRESENTATION, by a PERFORMER, who had 'done his homework',and PLANNED and PRACTICED HIS PERFORMANCE, that made the egg bag a brilliant bit of ENTERTAINMENT.

Growing up, my mentors emphasized repeatedly: THE PERFORMER IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN THE PROP! In this case,it's a little bag and an egg. It's a rather prosaic prop, it's certainly nothing very esoteric or glamorous! It's definitely not a PUSH BUTTON, SELF WORKING "BOX"!

The PERFORMER, using his artistic talents, can/must perform a series of tricks with that prop in such a manner that the audience experiences "magic" (in their minds)--and that "magic" must be presented in a way that is ENTERTAINING.(MAGIC IS NOT INHERENTLY ENTERTAINING!)

Were I to pick up a violin and bow, you would be about to hear a klutz draggin horsehair over catgut. Were Jaccha Heifetz to pick up that same bow and violin, you would hear heavenly music. Remember DANTE's line about the linking rings and the violin!

My old friend, Tomsoni, makes the Malini bag a delightful experience. Jay Marshall did Charlie Miller's routine even better than Charlie did it, and Charlie was no slouch! I thoroughly enjoyed Bob Blake's masterful presentation. Bob works in a most challenging "arena"! --and I feel he meets that challenge exceedingly well.

The egg bag is one of my favorite props (and also favorite routines). I hope you and I will meet someday to have a session. I would love to see YOUR presentation!
Jac -dutch-
View Profile
Regular user
The Netherlands,
173 Posts

Profile of Jac -dutch-
Really Nice performance, Robert Blake.
The joy and fun with the spectator makes I'm guessing to buy an eggbag. But I'm not sure which one. I don't know the differents between them (Malini, Mardo, Hobson).
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8362 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Jac-dutch-
PM me, and get acquainted. Fill me in a bit. As the Navy used to say: "What's your name, rate, and horsepower? Perhaps. I may be able to help, but I like to know with whom I am speaking--and sharing.

Charlie Mardo, I knew--although I only met him twice. Jeff Hobson, well, I sold him his first rabbit! We first met in 1977. Max Malini, well, he died before I 'came along! But, I knew Charlie Miller, who 'popularized' Max's bag. And, I knew Jay Marshall, who first showed me the Malini/Miller bag, and routine. --And, when Karrell Fox died, I inherited his two Sterling Egg Bags. (I knew Harold Sterling, too.) I also was a friend of Billy McComb's, who did the whiskey 'shot' glass with the bag. Also, knew Glenn Haywood who used the brandy glass for a finish, and I know Danny Tong, who does the brandy glass. My old pal Denny Loomis does a very fine (Malini/Miller)egg bag routine. I go back as far as Loring Campbell who opened his show with a 6 ounce glass of water production. Don Lawton, who used Laurie Ireland's egg bag routine for much of his life, was also a dear friend. We shared a lot of magic philosophy.
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1472 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
Jac - dutch thanks.

I use a malini egg bag.(lynetta welch) you can do things like let a spectaor have a peek in the bag.

mardo bag is mostly a sturdy bag usualy with a scottish fabric and a wooden egg.

jeff hobson is a malini bag
Jac -dutch-
View Profile
Regular user
The Netherlands,
173 Posts

Profile of Jac -dutch-
Thank you Robert Blake for explaning. After joining the Dutch open championship, I will take a look in my case and wallet for spending time for some 'new' magic! I look forward that moment! Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Egg Bag?? (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL