The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Coin Bargains ... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Bobcape
View Profile
Elite user
Rapid City, SD
470 Posts

Profile of Bobcape
I just stopped by our local coin shop and dug through the "junk box". I got 5 King George English pennies dating 1916 to 1950, all 5 for $1. I also bought 2 rough walking liberties for $1.50 each. Has anyone else come across any bargains?

Bob
Be Amazed! + Enjoy The Magic!
Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2324 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
I sure did! I went into a junk store and found 20 English pennies dating back to the early 1900s - 1960s. All the shop owner wanted was a dollar. Smile Smile
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
A dollar a piece for a penny... you were robbed... Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
GTDude11
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of GTDude11
Were can you find coin shops such as these?
Gtdude11
"A genius is 1 % inspiration and 99% perspiration "-Thomas Edison
MAGIC RULES!!!

GTDUDE11
Bobcape
View Profile
Elite user
Rapid City, SD
470 Posts

Profile of Bobcape
I live in a small town in the Black Hills of South Dakota out in the middle of the great Prairie. The closest town over 100,000 population is about 5 hours away. I found my coins at a local coin shop here in town.

Bob
Bong780
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto, Canada
172 Posts

Profile of Bong780
I went to a dealer to ask for the junk silver coins. He doesn't have access to the vault on that day but he told me that there's a lot and always has those coins coming in. He's asking for about $2 Canadian for a WL half and about $6-7 for a Morgan dollar. I'll definitely go check that out again.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8695 Posts

Profile of harris
Yes that is the way to go.

I may look up some Barbers in my coin sources vault.

Over the last four years I have been using washers from a home supply store.

I ruffed the edges on a wheel to bring them down in diameter so that they fit into a 50 cent (United States of America) size Okito Box, and match my other 50 cent sized coins.

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2324 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
Quote:
On 2003-10-29 13:52, Pete Biro wrote:

What I mean is that I bought 20 English pennies for $1.00 Smile
AlexWong
View Profile
Veteran user
371 Posts

Profile of AlexWong
When you talking about dealers, are you talking about coin collectors or something? I hardly find anyone in my county that deals with coins... or perhaps I am just ignorant of it.
Bobcape
View Profile
Elite user
Rapid City, SD
470 Posts

Profile of Bobcape
Hi Alex,
Yes I mean coin dealers, usually a small shop. I've found some in other towns that are only open a few days a week and they sometimes have great bargains. I've also had luck at pawnshops. Be advised though that coin dealers sometimes are not overly enthusiastic about coin magicians. They have a love for coin collecting and may not understand us wanting to buy coins to gaff (destroy) them. Good luck.

Bob
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Search “morgan dollars” on ebay.

Brian, I was kidding!!! Smile
AlexWong
View Profile
Veteran user
371 Posts

Profile of AlexWong
Thanks! I did a search on my yellow pages, think will make my way down when I have the time and see what they have available locally before I check out ebay.

Is it true that worn out coins have little value to dealers? I would hate to appear ignorant and end up getting ripped off by a dealer.
Bong780
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto, Canada
172 Posts

Profile of Bong780
Yes, by asking for some worn out junk coins, the shop owner ask me that if I'm a magician. He is a very friendly guy, maybe because other buy the silver junk coins are only getting them for melting the silver while a magician still use them as an act.

But what you shouldn't do is buy some valuable mint coin and tell them you going to scrap and gaff them for magic.
AlexWong
View Profile
Veteran user
371 Posts

Profile of AlexWong
Bong780,

Thanks, I will ask my local coin dealers and see what they have. I've checked out ebay, unfortunately, most bulk purchases I find only ship within US.

How do you gaff your own coins? Those require specialized machinery, do they not?
kihei kid
View Profile
Inner circle
Dog House
1039 Posts

Profile of kihei kid
I wish I had a nickel for every dollar I had. Smile
In loving memory of Hughie Thomasson 1952-2007.

You brought something beautiful to this world, you touched my heart, my soul and my life. You will be greatly missed.

Until we meet again “my old friend”.
Ramsay
View Profile
Special user
England
638 Posts

Profile of Ramsay
The best bargain I ever got has to be a set of five soft Morgan Dollars for free!

A very nice and close friend gave me them after he found a shop in the UK with some in stock for a good price he then worked them himself to make them soft. They are a pleasure to use... especially for that price. Smile

Luke Jermay.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
That reminds me... a friend of mine said he had a sack full of Morgan Dollars and would bring them by. I’ve got to call him (I think he is just out of the fire area.)
Ramsay
View Profile
Special user
England
638 Posts

Profile of Ramsay
By the way if anyone wants to have any coins worked on to make them soft, Ben Earle (the kind fellow who gave me the coins) is really talented at it.

Contact me and I can get you in touch with him. He is also one of the best coin workers I've seen.

Luke Jermay.
Jgriff
View Profile
Regular user
Milwaukee, WI
144 Posts

Profile of Jgriff
My local coin dealer sells worn Morgan Silver Dollars for $7 each and the new 2003 American Eagles for $8 each.

He also has a junk box with loads of foreign coins that he sells any 8 coins for only a buck.

Those are some of the good bargains that I’ve come across.
Jeremy Griffin
"Rough and Smooth Forever" - Jay Sankey
WilliamWHolcomb
View Profile
Special user
Twinsburg, Ohio
533 Posts

Profile of WilliamWHolcomb
Quote:
On 2003-10-29 19:13, Brian Proctor wrote:
Quote:
On 2003-10-29 13:52, Pete Biro wrote:

What I mean is that I bought 20 English pennies for $1.00 Smile

That works out to 5-cents each. Five-cents for a penny... Brian, you still got robbed! Smile
William Holcomb
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Coin Bargains ... (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL