We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Ken Scott Fantasy Magician routine (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Red Shadow
View Profile
Inner circle
1779 Posts

Profile of Red Shadow
It's about the routine. Firstly, I'm not big or sweaty. If your the type of magician that's how should we say it... Round. Then yes, this approach won't work.

But if you not to big, then having the child control the magician is going to be fun because your giving them the power to steal the show. Your letting a child be funny and make fun of the magician, and most kids love that. I do say 'most' because there will always be some shy kid that you don't want to use. But pick the right child whose up for a laugh and it's a ball.

As for what to do, you still control your voice. So you can say 'my nose itches, I think I'll scratch it' or 'I have a boogie, I should pick it out'. One of the best ones is 'I think I will pick up this inflatable hire - then stop hitting myself'. Those opening lines should give you some food for thought.

Steve

P.s. Have the child pick up a simply puppet...
Zuke
View Profile
Veteran user
352 Posts

Profile of Zuke
Quote:
On 2012-10-16 15:17, Kevinr wrote:
In this day and age of kids being molested, abducted and all the other wackos I just don't think someone should be doing "fantasy" magician.

A parent might not tell you this looks strange or awkward to your face but it is. You have thousands and thousands of options with effects and tricks.

Why risk it for one single effect?!?

If you REALLY feel like your life or show will somehow be incomplete without this one single item and the world might come to end somehow without it. Then give the child a hat and cape but don't climb behind a child like that and do some fantasy thing.

Goggle clowns, magicians and molestation and you will find out that this is a reality!

I agree 100% Like it or not this really isn't up to par for an audience today, it's tacky. What makes it worse is when a suggestive song is played underneath, lyrics like "I'm not trying to seduce you" while you're standing behind a kid. If people can't see that this is not appropriate then they are deluded. It might be 'sucking the fun out of it' but like it or not that's the cold hard facts. I used to love performing with the twirly gun and break-away gun, those routines were hilarious, I wish I could still do them but I choose not to because I have a brain in my head and more than a modicum of respect for my audiences.
Kevinr
View Profile
Inner circle
1853 Posts

Profile of Kevinr
Quote:
On 2012-10-17 11:55, Dynamike wrote:
Quote:

For those who would not use the effect on a girl, why not stop using it for a boy for the same reason?

SO TRUE!

You won't play the music and put on the fantasy magician suit for a girl but a boy it's ok??

Again there are thousands of tricks to buy. If anyone of them has even the smallest debate why are your screwing with it?

My wife says she would NOT approve of this trick! I am sure there are others moms like her.

Love this effect disagree with the small percentage you think that think like me but MOVE ON and use another trick and don't take teh risk
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
In this post I am not yelling at you, or trying to force anything in your mind. I am just explaining to you how the middle man might look at this. Of course it is your choice, not mine.

When a lot of parents see this performed with a boy or girl, the Sandusky case from Penn State is going to be traveling through their minds. He got away with it for many years. I feel parents are going to be more careful with their children nowadays. When everyone leaves the party, the certain child's parent asking him or her, did the magician ever touch you with the tuxedo trick? The child could say "yes", but meant as a misunderstanding. Next, here comes the lawsuit. The attorney is going to push for more money by suing the manufacture too. Previous threads Ken has mentioned it is ok to use on boys. That is what the attorney is going to bring to court.

I have never heard of any lawsuits dealing with the product, but remember there can always be a first time. It might be from a parent wanting to sue just because they want more money from loosing their job. It might be from a parent who shows their child extra protection than normal. It might be from a parent who is strong with religious beliefs. It can even be from a parent who have been through the same situation when younger. Better safe than sorry.

By not performing the effect, I see no reason it should tear apart your show. There are other effects that can be performed by putting a kid in a tuxedo to make it look as though they are performing magic. One good one that deals with extreme comedy is Whit Hayden's Linking Ring routine: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4818899614798480792 Imagine having the birthday child in a tuxedo when performing that routine. It doesn't matter, boy or girl, no complaints.

Like I mentioned earlier, it is your choice, not mine. I just wanted to give all of you my thoughts on this. Remember, "Magicians Helping Magicians". Thanks for reading my post in a relaxed and understanding manner.
John Martin
View Profile
Inner circle
1008 Posts

Profile of John Martin
Quote:
When a lot of parents see this performed with a boy or girl, the Sandusky case from Penn State is going to be traveling through their minds.

That's statement is STUPID. Mike, that's as ridiculous as me saying every time I see you perform, Al Jolson goes through my mind. It's dumb. If you're going to make statements like that provide some evidence. Otherwise you're not "helpng" anyone , just creating controversy. Use it or don't, because it fits or doesn't fit your style....period.

Relaxed and understanding,

John
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
John, if you were one of the suspects part of that scandal, I swear I did not know about it. If I would have known about it, I swear I would have posted the same thing anyway.
John Martin
View Profile
Inner circle
1008 Posts

Profile of John Martin
Thanks Mike. I don't have a clue what that means, but thanks.

John
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
No problem, "Magicians Helping Magicians".
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2286 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
Hmm .... the birthday child's dad in the FM tux, performing the Vanishing Bandanna while the child reads the instructions and watches the parent?

Ed
Kevinr
View Profile
Inner circle
1853 Posts

Profile of Kevinr
Quote:
On 2012-10-18 12:48, John Martin wrote:
Quote:
When a lot of parents see this performed with a boy or girl, the Sandusky case from Penn State is going to be traveling through their minds.

That's statement is STUPID. Mike, that's as ridiculous as me saying every time I see you perform, Al Jolson goes through my mind. It's dumb. If you're going to make statements like that provide some evidence. Otherwise you're not "helpng" anyone , just creating controversy. Use it or don't, because it fits or doesn't fit your style....period.

Relaxed and understanding,

John

Really my wife said she wouldn't want our kids doing this effect and told me never to do it on another child. That's a mom not some kid on the street.
Scott O.
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
1141 Posts

Profile of Scott O.
On 2012-10-18 18:46, Kevinr wrote:
Quote:
Really my wife said she wouldn't want our kids doing this effect and told me never to do it on another child.

Ah, now we understand your reasoning Smile

By all means, don't use the Fantasy Magician. If someone is uncomfortable with ANY presentaton, its not for them. There are some tricks that I would never do because they simply don't fit my persona. There are some things that I would never say on stage, some stock lines that I would never use because they don't fit me and who I am. But every performer has to make up his own mind about what will work or not work for him.

Ken has a nice product, and if you think it will 'suit' you (pun intended), this is the time to contact him. The right routine for the right situation can be a great laugh getter. Don't be scared off by the negative posts here.
Do not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time you will reap a harvest, if you do not give up. Galatians 6:9
Gordyboy
View Profile
Loyal user
British Columbia, Canada
216 Posts

Profile of Gordyboy
Magicians helping Magicians huh? Well Ken, what do you think of all the help you've been receiving in this thread?

Ken has a quality product and he does a good routine with it. I own one and it's a regular part of my act, not in every show but in lots of them. I often have it with me and don't perform it, I always judge the audience and the available volunteers before I decide if it's suitable for that audience and if it will work. In a childrens birthday show I'll most often get the birthday childs father up for it (and I try to speak to him before the show to make sure he's OK with it and has the right personality, without tipping off too much what we're going to do). Tomorrow evening I'll have it with me for an all adult show and will probably perform it. I never do it with a female volunteer, for obvious reasons. If you can't understand that and think it's fodder for attack, then you're not thinking straight.

I've never had a complaint about it and I've often been told it was someone's favorite part of the show. On more than one occasion when I've had a child as the volunteer I've had their mother come up and thank me, telling me the child was so happy about getting to come up and participate.

If you don't feel completely comfortable doing this routine, then you definitely need to stay away from it. People will sense your discomfort, and that's when they might start to wonder about you.

I'm quite happy to have less performers doing it anyway, but some of the negative comments in this thread really aren't fair to Ken.
The Great Gordini

http://www.MagicCanada.ca
keeblem
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1167 Posts

Profile of keeblem
Quote:
On 2012-10-18 20:28, Gordyboy wrote:
Magicians helping Magicians huh? Well Ken, what do you think of all the help you've been receiving in this thread?

Ken has a quality product and he does a good routine with it. I own one and it's a regular part of my act, not in every show but in lots of them. I often have it with me and don't perform it, I always judge the audience and the available volunteers before I decide if it's suitable for that audience and if it will work. In a childrens birthday show I'll most often get the birthday childs father up for it (and I try to speak to him before the show to make sure he's OK with it and has the right personality, without tipping off too much what we're going to do). Tomorrow evening I'll have it with me for an all adult show and will probably perform it. I never do it with a female volunteer, for obvious reasons. If you can't understand that and think it's fodder for attack, then you're not thinking straight.

A sensible well thought out post. Thanks Gordyboy!

Others take note! Smile

Mark
Kevinr
View Profile
Inner circle
1853 Posts

Profile of Kevinr
Quote:

I never do it with a female volunteer, for obvious reasons.

I'm quite happy to have less performers doing it anyway, but some of the negative comments in this thread really aren't fair to Ken.

If you "never" do it for a female for "obvious reasons" I am just totally shocked to hear it's ok for males?! This is a crazy statement.

Nothing is directed to Ken he makes fantastic stuff!! Did I mention Ken sells great stuff and is a great guy?

We just had a 10 year girl abducted in Denver it was on national news. Her body was found with very little clues. Another man was convicted for molesting boys and he worked as a clown in Colorado... In fact I think John Wayne Gacy was also a clown.

No, clients are NOT gonna tell you to your face the "obvious reasons" they know this trick is now considered edgy. However, just because they won't tell you the "obvious reasons" doesn't mean you don't know it.

If you find an item you are entertaining with should "never" be used on girls for obvious reasons. (as you stated) it's time to wake up and smell the coffee and realize it should be obvious to not use it on boys for the same "obvious reasons" you never use it on girls.

Thousands of great items to buy even a lot of great items on Kens website. (Did I mention how much of a great guy Ken is) I would say this sadly has ran past it's time and sadly needs to be put away for the same "obvious reasons" you suggest.
mr shiney
View Profile
Loyal user
266 Posts

Profile of mr shiney
I'm on the fence on this one Except I do see a Difference between boys and girls with this Routine.
I saw someone do this Routine With a girl in a competition once.
the guy was patting the girl to try and find the breast pocket to reach in and pull out an hanky.
and this is a big difference between boys and girls in this Routine.

I can understand you saying there is know Difference with the rest of the Routing, I just wanted to point that one point out.
Best Job in the world

Mr Shiney
LMLipman
View Profile
Elite user
Falls Church, Va.
444 Posts

Profile of LMLipman
Quote:

I've never had a complaint about it and I've often been told it was someone's favorite part of the show. On more than one occasion when I've had a child as the volunteer I've had their mother come up and thank me, telling me the child was so happy about getting to come up and participate.

If you don't feel completely comfortable doing this routine, then you definitely need to stay away from it. People will sense your discomfort, and that's when they might start to wonder about you.

Excellent post. I don't have Fantasy Magician because it's a little steep for my price range, but I've seen Ken perform it in person and on video and it's a great routine. He did it at the most recent Ring 50 MagiWhirl and it was a hoot. Obviously you have to have the right volunteer and have the right attitude about doing it. If it works for you, great. If not, do something else.
Larry Lipman
Lorenzo the Great
www.lorenzomagic.com
keeblem
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1167 Posts

Profile of keeblem
Quote:
On 2012-10-19 01:24, Kevinr wrote:
We just had a 10 year girl abducted in Denver it was on national news. Her body was found with very little clues.

This is very sad and it sickens me to read such terrible things. However I think you're starting to get a bit carried away with your argument. We're talking about a magician's prop that is a bit of (IMO) harmless fun. I would like to think that most people are not going to confuse Fantasy Magician with an obviously sick and unbalanced individual.

Mark
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7408 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
I think it's interesting that while some have the time to be very active posters, two well-respected performers -- Ken Scott & Shawn Farquhar (who both are known for doing a fantasy magician routine in some of their shows), are half-way around their world from their homes, performing and lecturing to magicians at a convention in New Zealand.

I guess material like this works for them -- they earn a living by performing for real world audiences, and also teaching other magicians.

And they are in demand enough to get invited half way around the world.

I'm not saying this is the only routine they do. But it is part of some working magician's repertoires.

- Donald

P.S. Although I don't perform this in my shows, I have happy memories of seeing wacky skits at camp, as a teen, performed with one person being another person's arms.
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
kenscott
View Profile
Inner circle
1869 Posts

Profile of kenscott
Donald you always post well!! Yes Shawn and I are in New Zealand on the other side of the world doing the routine and it killed I sold 5 of them. I don't remember dynamike buying one from me? I am not even going to get Iin the debate with others. If you have a doubt I don't want you doing it or buying it.

Ken scott.
Scott O.
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
1141 Posts

Profile of Scott O.
Just performed this yesterday for a 10 year old birthday. The kids loved it. The birthday Mom and Dad both thanked me again and again for coming and thought the show was wonderful. I don' perform the Fantasy Magician for every show, but when I do, it is a guaranteed hit.

Just sayin'.

Scott Smile.
Do not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time you will reap a harvest, if you do not give up. Galatians 6:9
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Ken Scott Fantasy Magician routine (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL