The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Larry Jennings' chop cup routine (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Ken Brooke called it "The greatest Chop Cup routine I've ever seen"

Skip to 2:42 to get to it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzWxZBG14V8

Nice to see Larry so healthy and vibrant!
volto
View Profile
Special user
603 Posts

Profile of volto
Very nicely constructed. The thing that's interesting about that is that there's almost no repetition.
Great routine.
L Trunk
View Profile
Loyal user
Australia
207 Posts

Profile of L Trunk
I thought the final load was pretty slick.
smullins
View Profile
Special user
United States
674 Posts

Profile of smullins
It's such a good routine structurally. One of my favorites

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ic9qpdN478

Another good Jennings moment.
Shawn Mullins

www.MullinsMagic.com
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
I didn't know Larry ever taught his routine. But it's on a DVD:

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S6006
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
It's also in one of his books, I think. The single cup routine is also excellent.
55Hudson
View Profile
Special user
Minneapolis
981 Posts

Profile of 55Hudson
You will also find this routine on The World's Greatest Magic, Chop Cup DVD.

Hudson
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Quote:
On 2012-10-14 19:15, 55Hudson wrote:
You will also find this routine on The World's Greatest Magic, Chop Cup DVD.

Hudson

Hudosn, THANK YOU. I didn't know that.
trancework
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of trancework
GREAT routine!!! Thank you for posting.
kalos2010
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of kalos2010
The routine was described on the Jennings issue of Genii magazine. I included in that video some pictures taken from that article. I credited that during intro: it was in italian! Sorry about that.
I really enjoyed that routine and I'm happy you did too!
Feral Chorus
View Profile
Elite user
CA
462 Posts

Profile of Feral Chorus
The routine is explained in the Magicana section of the March 1965 Genii.
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
It is also demonstrated and explained in the VHS(!)/DVD(?) by Pierre Mayer of Radio Prim which are sold if I'm not mistaken by Joe Stevens Magic Emporium
Magic is the art of proving impossible things in parallel dimensions that can't be reached
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2711 Posts

Profile of Tom G
I believe the routine above was taken from "Larry Jennings-A Private Lesson" DVD. He had just moved to CA and Louis from L&L was taking
lessons from him. He let Louis film a number of routines and explanations. The video was taken from a 30 year old Beta tape and cleaned up
a little, but it's still a little rough. It's Larry at his prime.
Moonstone76
View Profile
Regular user
Italy
153 Posts

Profile of Moonstone76
You are totally right Tom...that's it! Smile
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I think that video was from a Japanese TV Show.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
LCBellah
View Profile
New user
95 Posts

Profile of LCBellah
Nice routine. It makes me want to find my chop cup I put in the closet years ago and play with it again.
Magic Mark
View Profile
Special user
615 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
I have the Greater Magic Classic Chop Cup (Teach-in Session) DVD and I just ordered Roger Nicot's Bar Cup Reloaded. I plan to do my own spin on Larry Jenning's routine with the liquid production at the end. Larry's routine and Roger's props seem to be meant for each other.

Mark
unclesamayen
View Profile
Elite user
Taiwan
464 Posts

Profile of unclesamayen
Quote:
On Mar 29, 2020, Magic Mark wrote:
I have the Greater Magic Classic Chop Cup (Teach-in Session) DVD and I just ordered Roger Nicot's Bar Cup Reloaded. I plan to do my own spin on Larry Jenning's routine with the liquid production at the end. Larry's routine and Roger's props seem to be meant for each other.

Mark

Hello Mark, where did you order the Bar Cup Reloaded? I was looking for it for a while but couldn’t find it .
Comedy, Mental, Busking.
Performing magic for the blinds.
http://youtu.be/nW3O0nucQUI
Busking in Mong Kok
http://youtu.be/WqohXqTxRVU
Magic Mark
View Profile
Special user
615 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
Quote:
On Mar 31, 2020, unclesamayen wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 29, 2020, Magic Mark wrote:

Mark

Hello Mark, where did you order the Bar Cup Reloaded? I was looking for it for a while but couldn’t find it .

I ordered directly from Roger Nicot in England. You can email him at: roger.nicot@card-shark.de

I do not know if he has any more in stock. Frankly, I was surprised when he said he still had one in stock to sell to me. His last mention about selling them direct (here on the forum) was way back in late 2018. I figured he wouldn't have any left but I emailed to ask anyway. Got lucky (maybe you will too?).

Mine shipped yesterday, he sent me the tracking number this morning.

Mark
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1790 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
I saw Larry do his chop cup routine at the Closeup Gallery at The Magic Castle in the Mid 80's, and I thought it was a very masterful piece of business.

Growing up in St. Louis and seeing Don Alan perform his classic chop cup routine often, my impression of watching Larry perform his routine at the The Magic Castle was that there was a LOT more MASTERY involved......

Larry's routine relied more on his staging, reverse engineering of the moves necessary to accomplish the (multiple) chop cup effects he wanted to build into his routine, and psychological management of spectators' expectations, A LA Slydini, while Don Alan's routine was more about personality and timing.

Words aside....it was and remains a KILLER, FEATURED,CLOSE-UP MIRACLE which was a thing of beauty to see performed in Larry's hands.

And Larry could and would do a chopped and no-chopped version at his convenience.

A beautiful description of Larry Jennings One-Cup Routine is in the Book, The Classic Magic of Larry Jennings. Great book!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Larry Jennings' chop cup routine (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.25 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL