The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Coin magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Biggest_Oz
View Profile
New user
London
73 Posts

Profile of Biggest_Oz
When I start magic, nearly a year ago I started with cards and now I want to broaden my arsenal I have started some coin magic I can do routines like coin on hand, shoulder and under watch and I do have bobo's book but is there anything else which can help me improve I am really in to complete coin vanishes but I can't do many here is one I worked out based on the wither vanish.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IIPu5YTRTE&feature=g-upl

Cheers, Ozzy
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
With Bobo's book you are halfway there- especially with the large edition. Probably the most important sleight for coins is also one of the hardest for many people- the classic palm. If you google it, you will find a number of vids to get you started. You didn't indicate a budget, so it is hard to advise beyond lots of practice on the good stuff in Bobo...

Good luck

Jim
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
55Hudson
View Profile
Special user
Minneapolis
984 Posts

Profile of 55Hudson
Ozzy,
Get a copy of The Al Schneider Technique, Vol 1 (DVD) and learn his basic vanish. That one move will serve you well through all of your coin or other small object magic.
Hudson
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
You might want to consider a couple of beginner coin magic DVDs.
David Roth & David Stone are two I would suggest.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Michael_MacDonald
View Profile
1964 - 2016
Washington
2034 Posts

Profile of Michael_MacDonald
http://www.coinvanish.com/

you may also like easy to master coin miricles by Michal Ammar 1-8
you have the coin bible bob. that is the foundation for solid coin work.

goods luck with your quest my friend and do not be a stranger
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2097 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
Modern Coin magic 4 DVD set is the best overall DVD set on coin magic that I have ever seen.
The great trouble with magicians is the fact that they believe when they have bought a certain trick or piece of apparatus, and know the method or procedure, that they are full-fledged mystifiers. -- Harry Houdini
Dirtytrix
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of Dirtytrix
I can highly recommend Eric Jones "Metal" series. Metal 1 covers all the basic material, vanishes, reveals, grips and holds and various utlity moves. Metal 2 goes into greater detail and is a little more advanced, Metal 3 introduces gaffs into your coin work. The complete set makes for a very comprehensive piece of work. You can either download it from ellusionist.com :-

http://www.ellusionist.com/metal-dvd-by-eric-jones.html

or since you're in the UK you can buy the DVD from :-

http://www.worldmagicshop.com

Personally I went for the download so I can watch it from my iPhone, Laptop or tablet, plus the chapters on the download make it really easy to find exactly what you want with just a mouse-click in your iTunes player or whatever you use. Eric has a great teaching style and breaks everything down really nice. As a complete set it's not going to be cheap but you get what you pay for. You won't be disappointed.
mbl16
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of mbl16
I suggest TKO 2.0

It is a real nice utility that I have come to love. If you like coins you will love it!

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/2700
mahucharn
View Profile
Elite user
418 Posts

Profile of mahucharn
Quote:
On 2012-10-15 08:47, mbl16 wrote:
I suggest TKO 2.0

It is a real nice utility that I have come to love. If you like coins you will love it!

I don't agree with this for a beginner. TKO is a great device, but for someone who is just starting to learn coin magic I think that Bobo's, the Ammar series, Jones' Metal (vol 1 & 2 especially), and even some of Roth's material would be much more valuable to get some of the core material down.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
Quote:
On 2012-10-15 00:00, Michael_MacDonald wrote:
http://www.coinvanish.com/

you may also like easy to master coin miricles by Michal Ammar 1-8
you have the coin bible bob. that is the foundation for solid coin work.

goods luck with your quest my friend and do not be a stranger
just a note.

There is no Easy to Master Coin Miracle 1 - 8.
It's Easy To Master Money Miracles vol. 1 - 3, magic with coins and bills.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
mbl16
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of mbl16
Very true sry I didn't take that into account sorry Smile
Dirtytrix
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of Dirtytrix
Quote:
On 2012-10-15 11:38, mahucharn wrote:
Quote:
I suggest TKO 2.0

I don't agree with this for a beginner. TKO is a great device, but for someone who is just starting to learn coin magic I think that Bobo's, the Ammar series, Jones' Metal (vol 1 & 2 especially), and even some of Roth's material would be much more valuable to get some of the core material down.

I agree to the extent that it would be beneficial to get some of the more basic stuff down first, but since Ozzy says he already has some material and after watching Ozzy's video he's clearly not a complete novice. And, buy it now or buy it later, no doubt that TKO 2.0 is an awesome utility for any coin OR card manipulator.

If you already have the ability to perform a couple of different utility passes or shuttles, and are able to effectively employ some redirection/misdirection then TKO can be really effective without the need to employ it in the more conventional way - which is actually way easier in my opinion. Sorry if that's sounds a bit cryptic.

Ozzy, if you are really into complete vanishes then you might also want to have a look at sleeving. Metal 1 covers the subject briefly but I'd encourage to do a bit of research into the work of David Jay and others such as DR E M Roberts.

If want to explore the use of utilities (such as TKO 2.0) to aid in your vanishes then also have a look at David Jay's "Sleeve Star" at the same time. In fact both could be used in conjunction to excellent effect, however I would still suggest taking the time to really learn some other stuff without the use of gaffs and utilities - so long as you don't regard these excellent utilities as a replacement for good basic coin work then I would recommend you look at them at least. You still need to do the work yourself, no getting away from that.

Personally, I would perhaps alter your mission to actually perfect other stuff rather than just complete vanishes. By setting yourself some different goals you'll broaden your skillset at the same time, and in that process you'll find the vanishes you seek in a more organic approach. For example, see if you can't nail down a simple and practical 'coins across' routine - you'll get all kinds of stuff out of that. Currently I'm using one very similar to that described on Metal 1 and it goes over pretty well.
Biggest_Oz
View Profile
New user
London
73 Posts

Profile of Biggest_Oz
Thns a lot everyone, taking everything into account if you go on to YouTube.com/user/Sizeeightproductions you can see a routine I have made including the click pass and so on . I really appreciate the advice it is a good thing I joined this forum, with this advice I do not doubt that I will improve greatly with my coin magic

Thanks again, Ozzy
Biggest_Oz
View Profile
New user
London
73 Posts

Profile of Biggest_Oz
Quote:
I suggest TKO 2.0

Iewaaly like it, it is pretty amazing that'll show the laymen. I'll start saving up haha.
Biggest_Oz
View Profile
New user
London
73 Posts

Profile of Biggest_Oz
Quote:
On 2012-10-16 09:35, Dirtytrix wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-10-15 11:38, mahucharn wrote:
Quote:
I suggest TKO 2.0

I don't rely on gimmicks with card magic either but for coin magic it might become useful, however I do enjoy the sleight of hand in coin magic tests me greatly especially when I perform, as they say practice makes perfect

I agree to the extent that it would be beneficial to get some of the more basic stuff down first, but since Ozzy says he already has some material and after watching Ozzy's video he's clearly not a complete novice. And, buy it now or buy it later, no doubt that TKO 2.0 is an awesome utility for any coin OR card manipulator.

If you already have the ability to perform a couple of different utility passes or shuttles, and are able to effectively employ some redirection/misdirection then TKO can be really effective without the need to employ it in the more conventional way - which is actually way easier in my opinion. Sorry if that's sounds a bit cryptic.

Ozzy, if you are really into complete vanishes then you might also want to have a look at sleeving. Metal 1 covers the subject briefly but I'd encourage to do a bit of research into the work of David Jay and others such as DR E M Roberts.

If want to explore the use of utilities (such as TKO 2.0) to aid in your vanishes then also have a look at David Jay's "Sleeve Star" at the same time. In fact both could be used in conjunction to excellent effect, however I would still suggest taking the time to really learn some other stuff without the use of gaffs and utilities - so long as you don't regard these excellent utilities as a replacement for good basic coin work then I would recommend you look at them at least. You still need to do the work yourself, no getting away from that.

Personally, I would perhaps alter your mission to actually perfect other stuff rather than just complete vanishes. By setting yourself some different goals you'll broaden your skillset at the same time, and in that process you'll find the vanishes you seek in a more organic approach. For example, see if you can't nail down a simple and practical 'coins across' routine - you'll get all kinds of stuff out of that. Currently I'm using one very similar to that described on Metal 1 and it goes over pretty well.
Biggest_Oz
View Profile
New user
London
73 Posts

Profile of Biggest_Oz
Quote:
On 2012-10-15 08:44, Dirtytrix wrote:
I can highly recommend Eric Jones "Metal" series. Metal 1 covers all the basic material, vanishes, reveals, grips and holds and various utlity moves. Metal 2 goes into greater detail and is a little more advanced, Metal 3 introduces gaffs into your coin work. The complete set makes for a very comprehensive piece of work. You can either download it from ellusionist.com :-

http://www.ellusionist.com/metal-dvd-by-eric-jones.html

or since you're in the UK you can buy the DVD from :-

http://www.worldmagicshop.com

Personally I went for the download so I can watch it from my iPhone, Laptop or tablet, plus the chapters on the download make it really easy to find exactly what you want with just a mouse-click in your iTunes player or whatever you use. Eric has a great teaching style and breaks everything down really nice. As a complete set it's not going to be cheap but you get what you pay for. You won't be disappointed.

This DVD looks amazing!
Pzak97
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of Pzak97
Oz - I got the whole Metal series from Eric at the TAOM convention. He is as smooth in person, as he appears on the DVD. Plus, he's a great guy. He spent a lot of time showing techniques to me in the dealers room that he covered in his lecture. He has a gift for teaching as well.
Regards,

Mike Petryszak
MagicianFromHades
View Profile
New user
43 Posts

Profile of MagicianFromHades
I like one trick where I take a coin and make it appear in my ear, without me "palming it out"
Biggest_Oz
View Profile
New user
London
73 Posts

Profile of Biggest_Oz
Are there any other resources that I can use to learn some complete coin vanishes? Rather than having it in thumb palm and swiping my hands to show they are empty, it gets some good reactions but not the ones I expect is it the way I perform? PLEASE HELP

-Ozzy
donny
View Profile
Loyal user
Colorado
263 Posts

Profile of donny
Why suffer reinventing the wheel?

Ben Salinas' Modern Coin Magic DVD 2 has several of which your looking. Knee-zy Vanish, Pocket Vanish, Bobo Complete, Complete Thumb Palm, and a Sucker Vanish are great for managing that "last bit". These are great DVDs at great price!

Needn't forget the ol' Elbow Vanish, Lapping, retrieving wand/pen, hold-outs, pulls, sleeving

*Forget Sleeve Star and Harada hold IMHO, unless you have an evil troll in your basement that makes you practice daily vs all else. --It took years to get free, now I focus on the audience ^_-
It's not their senses that mislead, it's their assumptions.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Coin magic (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL