The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Rain Rain go away (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
Most of my gigs are inside. This month I scheduled a few days in a local Pumpkin Patch.

During my 2 hour scheduled time, it rained heavy for about 90 minutes.
Though we did have some guest, the number was way down.

All the outside activities were moved to the barn. It was fun playing off the large buffalo to the smaller Alpacas.

Usually the crowd moves through a fairly large area and activities. With them all in one place, my improvisation skills really came in handy. For a break with the puppets, I did some close up coin stuff, and created a small routine with a cut off broom and cowboy hat.

It was actually more pleasant then the outside musical gig, the weekend before. The weather was dry but pretty cold. To warm up my hands, I put on a pair of weight lifter's gloves that happened to be in the car.

My hat is off to those of you that do outside gigs on a regular basis.

Any rainy day stories you care to share?
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
The Mighty Fool
View Profile
Inner circle
I feel like a big-top tent having
2140 Posts

Profile of The Mighty Fool
My weekly gig at the Give Kids The World village is outside, and let me tell you, rain I can live with but WIND...ugh!! Here in Fla., you learn how to work around rain real fast. On the 2 occasion when it did rain, they moved me into the castle, and the show actually went even better, because I was able to use the D'Lites due to the low lighting.
Everybody wants to beleive.....we just help them along.
danfreed
View Profile
Inner circle
West Chester PA
1354 Posts

Profile of danfreed
It was a little rainy at my festival gig Saturday and there was no shelter area. Well, they said I'd have the stage for my act (which has a cover) but the band took up most of the space, and it would have been too far from from the stands for what I do. I would have had all the kids up there on stage with me if there was room. The stands were kind of wet and they said they would dry them off, but they didn't. So I just did the show in front of the stands (which was better anyway), and nobody seemed to mind the wet seats - I guess the audience dried them off themselves.
I don't have too many issues with rain because most clients have a back-up plan. The wind can be a problem, and the noise and distractions from other stuff can be a problem, and the heat can be a problem, but the rain isn't a direct problem too much. Rain can bring my mood down though, which affects me a little, and I suspect it affects the kids moods a bit as well.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
Wind can be an issue. Both in adding cold and affecting things like
scarf juggling, sponge balls on a table.

Any solutions...
such as square balls..switching to different objects...?

Your turn..
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I vividly remember a gig where the client had a tent, in the event of rain. There was a big problem - we had a torrential downpour! The wind brought a wet mist into the tent and the raindrops drummed on the tent so loud that any sound system was useless. I would have had to blowout some ears, in order for most people to hear. I just had to work to the most interested of the group.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Rain Rain go away (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL