The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Bats (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Cunningham
View Profile
Regular user
Minnesota
159 Posts

Profile of Cunningham
Anyone have any thoughts about how to make people believe there are Bats flying around in a Dark Seance Chamber?
Spackle666
View Profile
Loyal user
234 Posts

Profile of Spackle666
Well, the best part of bats flying is the simplicity, even awkwardness, of their motion. Since it will be a dark seance, you'll be able to get away with a lot. The best way I can think of it doing it it, is if you have a secret assistant. The cheapest solution that comes to mind is to do the ball/orb on st***k gaff, but do it with something that iis an analog to a flying bat. Conviently, there are so many Halloween prop / decoration bats, that you may be able to make due with one of those. I know I have a couple made out of a light foam that if you were to hold their body and shake them, their wings "flap." add the appropriate bat sound effects to your seance soundtrack and you might have a fairly convincing illusion.

You might be able to pull it off without an assistant, if you have the sound effects and use the st**k gaff yourself. Even just a single "floppy" wing that pushes air (similuating the thrust of a bat wing flapping) and can softly bat your sitters heads (pun intended) could be terrifying.

Good luck.
"it's bad luck to be superstitious."
Michael_MacDonald
View Profile
1964 - 2016
Washington
2034 Posts

Profile of Michael_MacDonald
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zo_tpiBlYqI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_AScbdiwKA

if you can clean up the sounds you will be able to create the effect with just the sound. blowing towards someones face as the sounds are going on will let their mind create the effect for you.
Christopher Gould
View Profile
Inner circle
in special pants.
1028 Posts

Profile of Christopher Gould
Tell them there are bats.
The Moon is now to be found in the constellation of Gemini:
https://www.geminiartifacts.com
Voodini
View Profile
Inner circle
1783 Posts

Profile of Voodini
Quote:
On 2012-10-16 04:14, Christopher Gould wrote:

Listen to the man. He knows.
Voodini - cold reading, past life regressions, remote viewing, Q&A, palm reading, bizarre & seance...
www.readerofminds.co.uk
Spackle666
View Profile
Loyal user
234 Posts

Profile of Spackle666
Quote:

That could work too...
"it's bad luck to be superstitious."
OnTiltSoon
View Profile
Special user
Barcelona
544 Posts

Profile of OnTiltSoon
Quote:

Bats, what else?

Nice Smile
- Joaquín Gasa Thomas
Voodini
View Profile
Inner circle
1783 Posts

Profile of Voodini
Quote:
On 2012-10-16 12:55, OnTiltSoon wrote:
Quote:

Bats, what else?

Nice Smile

Spirits, of course. Victorian children generally. Smile
Voodini - cold reading, past life regressions, remote viewing, Q&A, palm reading, bizarre & seance...
www.readerofminds.co.uk
handa
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, PA
1348 Posts

Profile of handa
One longtime cast member used to release untied black balloons down a dark hallway, yelling "BEWARE THE FARTING BATS!"

The "bats" would disappear in the darkness, not to be seen until show lights came up.

Not exactly cerebral, but effective.

Chris
Christopher Gould
View Profile
Inner circle
in special pants.
1028 Posts

Profile of Christopher Gould
Quote:
On 2012-10-16 13:26, handa wrote:
One longtime cast member used to release untied black balloons down a dark hallway, yelling "BEWARE THE FARTING BATS!"

The "bats" would disappear in the darkness, not to be seen until show lights came up.

Not exactly cerebral, but effective.

Chris

The best solution yet!
I fear no Halloween will seem complete without farting bats now!
The Moon is now to be found in the constellation of Gemini:
https://www.geminiartifacts.com
Cunningham
View Profile
Regular user
Minnesota
159 Posts

Profile of Cunningham
Thanks for the ideas everybody!
Godzilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Tied & Untied Witches on
5316 Posts

Profile of Godzilla
Get some mice,and staple some wings on their backs!
Throw them on the specs, in the dark !

:)
Don't contact...PETA ! lol
"If you watch Godzilla backwards, it's about a big ass lizard who helps rebuild a half burnt-down city, then moonwalks back into the ocean"
GeoffreyD
View Profile
Loyal user
Canberra, Australia
244 Posts

Profile of GeoffreyD
If you can get your hands on a copy of Eugene Burger's book "Spirit Theater", there is a nice trick on pages 115-116 called "The Birds" which should work nicely Smile
Cheers
Geoffrey
www.dark-myst.com.au
ThatsJustWrong!
View Profile
Special user
My flying monkeys are perched on
626 Posts

Profile of ThatsJustWrong!
Totally stole and used the Farting Bats bit last Saturday and it killed. ROFL! Thanks!
Joe Leo

All entertainers can benefit from some help from an experienced stage director. How about you?

www.MisfitMysteries.com
Joshua J
View Profile
Special user
665 Posts

Profile of Joshua J
Having shared sleeping space with bats don't underestimate the stink of bat farts and guano. On the subject of bats I just got a lovely bat finger puppet for teaching my class at school. I think there is going to a certain amount of Sesame Street counting come Wednesday when we start out Halloween themed activities.

http://youtu.be/5l7KbMVdN7E
Sean-Paul
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of Sean-Paul
Jim!

We definitely think alike. I had an idea a while back that was inspired by outlaw's re animator. It might be more than you would care to do - but I think it could create a really chilling effect.

Call me - lets talk!

Sean-Paul
Sean-Paul
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of Sean-Paul
Oh and by the way - speaking of chilling effects and Outlaw - I LOVE MY CHILLER!
I have it where now it never fails to seal the deal!

I am currently waiting for my Hobbs box to garnish my Salem routine and I am going to have Tim do some custom work next.
Cunningham
View Profile
Regular user
Minnesota
159 Posts

Profile of Cunningham
Sending all good thoughts for a huge crowd and a safe escape Saturday!! What's Chiller?
Sean-Paul
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of Sean-Paul
Well that kind of changes the subject of this thread but you started the thread and you are asking.

Chiller is a set of thermomaters that you pass out to monitor the temp of the room - looking for variances of energy in the room.

After 3 minutes people notice the temp is dropping and then execute your favorite effect.

Not a stand alone effect but a very nice garnish!
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17524 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Here is your answer ..tell no one else and delete this thread!!!!
http://www.shopko.com/detail/interactive......odTg0AkQ
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Bats (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL