The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Any existing video of Joe Cossari? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1769 Posts

Profile of Anatole
Are there any videos of Joe Cossari presenting his card fan act? I saw it live when joe accompanied Vernon on his farewell lecture tour, and Joe's fanning routine was outstanding. But he did not do the blacklight fanning routine that I had heard so much about. I imagine that traveling by car during the farewell tour would have made carrying the blacklights, stands, etc difficult.

I believe someone bought the rights to Joe's act a few years ago, but I don't know if anyone is currently performing it.

-----Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
----- Sonny Narvaez
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7343 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I know John Fedko put out a book on the act.

L.L. Henry of Toledo, Ohio, also did card fans with blacklight.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11157 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2012-10-17 07:22, hugmagic wrote:

L.L. Henry of Toledo, Ohio, also did card fans with blacklight.

So did Goodlette Dodson, who also washed his hair with Tide so it would glow white under a blacklight.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1769 Posts

Profile of Anatole
A video of Goodlette Dodson would be very interesting if any film footage ever existed that could be transferred to DVD. I remember seeing _Exhibition Card Fans_ mentioned in Henry Hay's _Amateur Magician's Handbook_ and then ordering it from the late great Fleming Book Company. I got a letter from Dodson many years ago when another magician who saw me perform mentioned my card manipulation act to him.

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
----- Sonny Narvaez
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11157 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I never met him. He died before I moved to Birmingham. I did meet his wife, although she was very elderly and I was very young. My mentor is responsible for the story, but it was verified by others from the area. I have never heard of film footage of him, but I probably have a few photos of him in my collection.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1769 Posts

Profile of Anatole
It would be great if you could find the photos of Goodlette Dodson and post them somehow to the Magic Café or on your website, Michael. I also just sent an inquiry to Birmingham Ring IBM Ring 35 asking for information--such as any magazine articles that might have been written about him, film clips, etc.

----- Sonny Narvaez
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1769 Posts

Profile of Anatole
In the 2003 hardback edition of Lewis Ganson's _Expert Manipulation of Playing Cards_ published by Davenport we read in the Foreword:
-----quote-----
Within the copy of the book, on page 31 in the section on 'The Art of Card Fanning', Lewis refers the reader to a book entitled "Exhibition Card Fans" written in 1935 by Goodlette Dodson. Our feeling was that as this work was well out of print we should include the relevant parts of this book within this work... Unfortunately, the original Goodlette Dodson photographs could not be used as they would not reproduce satisfactorily. We have therefore re-photographed all the illustrations..."
-----end quote-----

There is even a note on the title page that reads:
Incorporating excerpts from
EXHIBITION CARD FANS
by
Goodlette Dodson
-------------------------------------------

(Ironically, although Dodson's last name is spelled correctly in the credit on the title page of the Ganson book, on page 28 we read: "Dobson in his fine book 'Exhibition Card Fans' wrote the fist complete book on the subject and illustrated it with clear photographs...")

----- Sonny Narvaez
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11157 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Not sure who might field your query to Ring 35, but if you hit a brick wall, PM or email me and I'll put you in direct contact with some of the old guard, most of whom knew him.

If I run across photos, I'll be sure to post them.

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Any existing video of Joe Cossari? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL