The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tenyo of Japan » » Interview with Mr. Sugawara (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2532 Posts

Profile of Richard Kaufman
I just spent four wonderful hours with Mr. Shigeru Sugawara, with Fumio acting as translator. We discussed many of his Tenyo tricks item by item, and he also demonstrated all of his new effects for me, including several that won't be released until next year. He really is a genius.

I videotaped his performance of quite a few items, and he also gave me permission to publish several tricks of his in English which, unless you read Japanese, you've never heard about before.

Look for it all in Genii in 2013.
ChasVH
View Profile
Loyal user
266 Posts

Profile of ChasVH
Richard that had to be a fantastic 4 hours. Wow. Like a golfer playing 4 hours with Jack Nicklaus or Arnold Palmer. Can't wait for that issue of Genii

Charlie
Bob_Hummer
View Profile
Special user
842 Posts

Profile of Bob_Hummer
That sounds great, Richard. You da' man!

Joe
stereo
View Profile
Inner circle
France - Paris
1455 Posts

Profile of stereo
Maybe you have see the next Tenyo special ??? Smile

You spoke of a magic created by an inventor in Tenyo, which was offered to the convention Genii. Can we know now? A version of "All Roads Lead to Genii" maybe ?
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2532 Posts

"All Roads Lead to Rome" was created by Hideo Kato and published in Genii in the 1980s (19070s?). I adapted it to "All Roads Lead to Genii" just as an amusing gift for our conventioneers.

Our Genii story on Mr. Sugawara will have many of his original non-Tenyo effects explained in English for the first time.
stereo
View Profile
Inner circle
France - Paris
1455 Posts

Profile of stereo
Wow I had guessed ! I am surprised to be dropped just. Thank you Richard.
stereo
View Profile
Inner circle
France - Paris
1455 Posts

Profile of stereo
I have not seen your version of All Roads Lead to Rome but last Year I have make mine :

I did offer to blog readers in a "Review Contest" but I have not had time to do for the moment.
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2532 Posts

Ours was just a simmple black and white redo, not nearly as extensive as what you've done.
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2532 Posts

One thing about my interview with Mr. Sugawara that was pretty funny was when I told him what his tricks, like "Mirage" and "Ultra Tube." now sell for on eBay. He was incredulous ... could NOT believe it! He just kept shaking his head and saying that he wishes he kept several of each.
stereo
View Profile
Inner circle
France - Paris
1455 Posts

Profile of stereo
Mr Kondo had exactly the same réaction, wondering how young people could take an interest in it!

It's funny.
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2532 Posts

I think Mr. Sugawara even said that he didn't own copies of all the tricks he created for Tenyo, which is surprising for a Westerner, but typical of a Japanese.
stereo
View Profile
Inner circle
France - Paris
1455 Posts

Profile of stereo
I think you'll be able to make a very good article, it is rather rare to find out more about these artists. I can't wait to see the result !
It will surely be an opportunity for me to take out a subscription to Genii.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tenyo of Japan » » Interview with Mr. Sugawara (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL