The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Best "Shut Eye" Palmistry Book? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
meco
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of meco
Hey!

Ive wanted to learn "cold reading/palmistry" for a while now and based on recommendations here I ordered Doug Dyments Cold Front. I'm looking for a shut eye system to follow, And Richard Webster has a bunch, The Complete Book of Palmistry, Palm Reading for beginners and Palmistry for beginners. Which one is the best to go with Cold Front?

-Chris
Voodini
View Profile
Inner circle
1783 Posts

Profile of Voodini
Voodini - cold reading, past life regressions, remote viewing, Q&A, palm reading, bizarre & seance...
www.readerofminds.co.uk
mrkmarik
View Profile
Regular user
New York
185 Posts

Profile of mrkmarik
MUST READ

No 1 The Benham Book of Palmistry by William G. Benham(publicly available)

No 2 Lifeprints: Deciphering Your Life Purpose from Your Fingerprints by Richard Unger

No 3 The Spellbinding Power of Palmistry: New Insights into an Ancient Art by Johnny Fincham

NO 4 Art of Hand Reading Lori Reid

No 5 Hand Psychology: A New Insight into Solving Your Problems by Andrew Fitzherbert

All the very best,

Marc
DekEl
View Profile
Inner circle
Creates MindTricks. Has exactly:
1172 Posts

Profile of DekEl
Quote:
On 2012-10-17 09:25, Voodini wrote:
Try this:

http://youtu.be/Zwk5WdNg5q4

This is an excellent book.
You can purchase my works at: http://www.GetMindTricks.com
DrRob
View Profile
Special user
Middle Chinnock
952 Posts

Profile of DrRob
Paul's Palm reading is very good however it is designed for quick readings and not the treatise that I think the poster is looking for.

My advice is look at antique books on Chiromancy.

Regards
Dr Rob
bremen79
View Profile
Regular user
Boston
116 Posts

Profile of bremen79
"Cold Front" is a sort of summary of "Quick and effective cold reading" by R. Webster, so if you want something that is "compatible" you might buy a shut-eye book by the same author. I have "You can read palms" by R. Webster, and I can confirm that it uses the same meanings and terminology of "Cold Front". Is it the best book ever on Palmistry? Probably not, but it is a good way to smoothly go from a more cold reading oriented approach to a shut-eye one. You can find second hand copies for 4$.

You might also want to check the website of Doug Dyment, where you will find the classic books "The Laws of Scientific Hand Reading" and "Palmistry For All" for free, both very good.
Francesco

"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance" Jon Stewart
Voodini
View Profile
Inner circle
1783 Posts

Profile of Voodini
I can also highly recommend Johnny Fincham's 'Palmistry: From Apprentice to Pro in 24 Hours'.
Voodini - cold reading, past life regressions, remote viewing, Q&A, palm reading, bizarre & seance...
www.readerofminds.co.uk
JohnWells
View Profile
Inner circle
The Southern Wild
1791 Posts

Profile of JohnWells
Palmistry Plain and Simple from leaping lizards is the best of the dozen or so I've read (which includes most of those mentioned here). Put simply, for roughly the same price, you may buy an overpriced bushwhached rehash of the Webster material which will teach you to give a 30 second, rather dull and pointless "reading" (I'll not name the product, but it isn't by either Richard Webster or Doug Dyment, both of whom are capital fellows), or you may get a detailed book that teaches you not merely how to identify and interpret the lines in the hand, but how to give a solid, effective, useful reading based on that information. Bev Moore's "Palmistry in Your own words" is also very, very good, but the Montalbano book (which has a dvd set as well for the visual learners) is cheaper, larger, and enough to turn you into a palmist.

There's also some Riggs fellow, plays with insects, that has a trio of excellent texts as well. The Cheiro material is top notch and free. Good luck.
mrmysticmike
View Profile
Elite user
Cleveland, Ohio
427 Posts

Profile of mrmysticmike
"Revealing Hands" by Richard Webster is a very good resource.
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2501 Posts

Profile of ddyment
Palmistry, in all its detail, incorporates a very broad set of knowledge and practical experience. The challenge for neophyte palmists is to get sufficiently far along the learning curve to be able to give credible, entertaining readings for the first time. This critical step is the one that stops most would-be palm readers.

Richard Webster's justly renowned Quick and Effective Cold Reading was created specifically to address this problem. It is not (and was never intended to be) a detailed reference on the subject (he has written other books in that vein, some of which have been mentioned above). Q&ECR is uniquely designed to get the neophyte to the point of giving good readings (with no extraneous description), and thus in a position to study and appreciate other books on the subject, all while continuing to build those all-important real-time performance skills.

My own Cold Front is designed as a study tool for Q&ECR. Either product can be used independently, but you will get up to speed faster if you combine the two, as recommended by both Richard and me.
The Deceptionary :: Elegant, Literate, Contemporary Mentalism ... and More :: (order "Calculated Thoughts" from Vanishing Inc.)
Phil Ainsworth
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of Phil Ainsworth
Further to the above which are palmistry specific, if you want to learn a more general approach to cold reading then the absolute best available has to be Ian Rowland's "Full Facts of Cold Reading".

I can also recommend Kenton Knepper's "Completely Cold" which is good place to start Smile

Best of luck!
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2501 Posts

Profile of ddyment
I have many times here suggested that cold reading can be considered an art, a science, and a craft. To learn (or at least appreciate) the art, read Brad Henderson's The Dance; to learn the science, read Ian Rowland's Full Facts Book of Cold Reading; to learn the craft, read Richard Webster's Quick & Effective Cold Reading.

I also maintain a rather extensive list of cold reading resources.
The Deceptionary :: Elegant, Literate, Contemporary Mentalism ... and More :: (order "Calculated Thoughts" from Vanishing Inc.)
MentalistCreationLab
View Profile
Inner circle
1528 Posts

Profile of MentalistCreationLab
I personally liked Runic Palmistry, Karmic Palmistry, A Lover's Guide to Palmistry by Jon Saint-Germain. If you are looking for something to add a bit of flair to the standard reading approaches these books should not be over looked.

The other book on the subject would be form Richard Webster mentioned above. However when looking at Richards work on the subject you might want to have a look at Cold Front and Zenermancy from Doug as these works will add to what you learned from Richard and give you the well rounded education you are looking for.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18038 Posts

Profile of Slim King
The Roving series ... all three books by Sheila.
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
bevbevvybev
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2674 Posts

Profile of bevbevvybev
The guy asked which book of Webster's is best to go with Cold Front, which he's already ordered. So of course the answer is 'Quick And Effective Cold Reading' for which the Cold Front cards were written for.

The answer is not anything else. If I were him I'd stick to what I'd already bought and see how I got on. And then ask us all again what to do next in a week or two. He's not even off the mark yet.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18038 Posts

Profile of Slim King
My bad!!!!!
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Voodini
View Profile
Inner circle
1783 Posts

Profile of Voodini
Quote:
On 2012-10-17 19:16, Slim King wrote:
The Roving series ... all three books by Sheila.

I'll second that. Lovely lady too.
www.readerofminds.co.uk
JohnWells
View Profile
Inner circle
The Southern Wild
1791 Posts

Profile of JohnWells
Bev, quite right. Cold Front is a companion to Quick and Effective Cold Reading. Read my answer again, appending the words at the beginning:

Quick and Effective Cold Reading is the companion text to Cold Front. If you wish to go beyond the introductory text...

Let me also note that my preference for Montalbano's book is informed by coming to it late in my study of palmistry. Bev's "Palm Reading in Your Own Words" was my start, and it is, as I have noted, very, very good. The major selling point for the other is purely economic, you get more information for less money, though Bev's book is the easier to learn from.
mota
View Profile
Inner circle
1658 Posts

Profile of mota
Johnny Fincham has a third book out now. If you take them in reverse order of publication it makes a wonderful study trilogy.

The most recent, "Palmistry Made Easy" (2011) is a seventy or so page book with a very basic approach to palmistry as seen by Johnny Fincham.

Next is "Palmistry From Apprentice to Pro in Twenty-Four Hours" (2007). This covers the same type of topics but in more depth.

Then there is "The Spellbinding Power of Palmistry" (2005). This goes into much detail. This book also discusses hand shapes, a subject dropped in the next two books. He found too many people got confused with hand shapes.

In my thinking they are of limited use anyway. They are heavily influenced by race...for example white people in the United States are about 70% Fire hands. Classifications of hands by elemental type have been the source of more than one spirited thread on palmistry forums, with people discussing things like a .05 variation on a finger-palm comparison. They also discuss where you measure the palm length from and on and on...

Don't bother.

Fincham in his second two books just starts the reading with skin texture. I think that is a very good place to start.

If you want a low-price taste of Fincham's style his kindle version of his basic, most recent book is $2.99. You can tell from there if you want to continue with his approach.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18038 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Trickshop just gave me a free one ... Off subject maybe .. but FREE is FREE!!!!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Best "Shut Eye" Palmistry Book? (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL