We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Best "Shut Eye" Palmistry Book? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
mota
View Profile
Inner circle
1658 Posts

Profile of mota
I have a correction. In Fincham's new book he does go in to hand shapes, but a little differently. He doesn't do elemental hands (gone from the first book as mentioned). He does very basic hand size and finger length (two options on each) and then discusses hand shapes. This is done in relation to the palm which he divides into four quadrants. These are Ivory Tower, Outer World, Sea of Subconcious, and primal home, body, and family.

It is well done and should not confuse most people.

Then he goes to skin texture.

I must add that "Cold Front" contains all you need to know for excellent basic palm readings (five to ten minutes or so). I have said several times and I will say again that the words on those flash cards have been the best thing I have ever learned in my life. I learned it first from "Quick and Effective Cold Reading" by Richard Webster and now you can get the essential gold for about twenty bucks on flash cards.

You certainly can grow from there. Many good options have been mentioned in this thread. If all you ever want to do is quick readings the flash cards are all you need.
meco
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of meco
Thanks everyone! I haven't been on the Café in years but this is by far the best response I have gotten to any question I've ever asked.

Im going to stick with cold front and the free books on deceptionary for now, there's a flea market this Saturday, hopefully my order arrives today so I can practice and give out some free readings there to practice. If I get good enough in the morning I might start charging in the afternoon and get Quick and Effective Cold Reading.

Doug, on your site you reviewed Quick and Effective Cold Reading as one of the "top three" books. Are you saying Full Facts and the Dance are the other two?

-Chris
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2300 Posts

Profile of ddyment
Meco wondered:
Quote:
Doug, on your site you reviewed Quick and Effective Cold Reading as one of the "top three" books. Are you saying Full Facts and the Dance are the other two?

In my opinion, on the broad topic of cold reading (i.e., not just palmistry), yes.

There are lots of other good books out there. But if you haven't absorbed these three, I believe that you are missing important concepts in cold reading.
"Calculated Thoughts" is available at The Deceptionary :: Elegant, Literate, Contemporary Mentalism ... and More
H2Odesign
View Profile
Regular user
the Armpit of the Panhandle
191 Posts

Profile of H2Odesign
Quote:
On 2012-10-17 10:11, JohnWells wrote:
Palmistry Plain and Simple from leaping lizards is the best of the dozen or so I've read (which includes most of those mentioned here). Put simply, for roughly the same price, you may buy an overpriced bushwhached rehash of the Webster material which will teach you to give a 30 second, rather dull and pointless "reading" (I'll not name the product, but it isn't by either Richard Webster or Doug Dyment, both of whom are capital fellows), or you may get a detailed book that teaches you not merely how to identify and interpret the lines in the hand, but how to give a solid, effective, useful reading based on that information. Bev Moore's "Palmistry in Your own words" is also very, very good, but the Montalbano book (which has a dvd set as well for the visual learners) is cheaper, larger, and enough to turn you into a palmist.

There's also some Riggs fellow, plays with insects, that has a trio of excellent texts as well. The Cheiro material is top notch and free. Good luck.

Dito John Wells posts...
except for the last part, witch I can't vouch for
:o)
H2Odesign
View Profile
Regular user
the Armpit of the Panhandle
191 Posts

Profile of H2Odesign
Quote:
On 2012-10-18 11:42, ddyment wrote:
Meco wondered:
Quote:

In my opinion, on the broad topic of cold reading (i.e., not just palmistry), yes.

There are lots of other good books out there. But if you haven't absorbed these three, I believe that you are missing important concepts in cold reading.

Dito to Doug's post's as well.
Exceptional stuff has been mentioned here.
My advice:
Start slow, practice what you've learned, and absorb as much as possible before moving on!
You are your best teacher.
Larry
bevbevvybev
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2600 Posts

Profile of bevbevvybev
Whatever you do, don't be shy to start off being an interested amateur - don't heap too much pressure on yourself to leave the house being professional. Print off some helpful material, try it out on friends and family, with your books and diagrams by your side and keep the whole thing very open - admit you're just starting out, and let people know you don't have all the answers but find them interesting. They're doing you a favour, and they'll willingly oblige.

So start of with the attitude of 'lets explore your palm together' and figure it out as you go, and learn from there. There'll be less pressure on you to be 'amazing', you'll feel a lot more comfortable with the whole reading and won't feel like you have to 'perform'.

Forget about 'hits' and 'being impressive'. Go more along the lines of 'I'm just learning about palmistry, do you think we could try and see what your hand reveals about you together?'

You'll have fun, it'll be more touchy feely, and you'll truly learn what it is people want to know and hear as you go.

It doesn't matter how many times you read books about riding bicycles, at some point you have to get on one and realise that the theory is far less useful than you imagined - fundamentally you teach yourself, once you know where the pedals, steering wheel and brakes are.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12354 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On 2012-10-17 09:18, meco wrote:
Hey!

Ive wanted to learn "cold reading/palmistry" for a while now and based on recommendations here I ordered Doug Dyments Cold Front. I'm looking for a shut eye system to follow, And Richard Webster has a bunch, The Complete Book of Palmistry, Palm Reading for beginners and Palmistry for beginners. Which one is the best to go with Cold Front?

-Chris

Don't forget the cold reading company. For me hands down (or up) the best learning tool for palm reading, card reading, cold reading. Great stuff.
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
meco
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of meco
Hey everone!

So far I have Cold Front, Quick and Effective Cold Reading and Speed Learning Palmistry in your own words.

I have all the Doug Dyment/ Richard Webster "lines" down and have given a few readings to acquaintances.

Im going to a flea market tomorrow to hone my skills and pick up some extra cash. Any tips on making a table/sign for my booth? I read the article on Deceptionary that mentioned the importance of decorating your booth to make it look more "psychic"

Should I move this question to tricky business?

-Chris
mrkmarik
View Profile
Regular user
New York
185 Posts

Profile of mrkmarik
Try Ron Martins Palmistry Note Book regarding set ups
bevbevvybev
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2600 Posts

Profile of bevbevvybev
Yes if you've read my stuff, Webster's stuff and Doug's cards you should definitely read the Ron Martin book to flesh it all out a bit.

This is definitely blowing my own trumpet here, but you should consider using a tick sheet to increase sales, value and repeat business.
meco
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of meco
So I just got back, I was there from 8am to about 1pm, and had about 10 people or so come up to my "table." ( I printed out signs that said "Palm Readings" with a hand outline on goldenrod legal sized paper and taped them to the sides of my table)

There's another one in my area on Tuesday, I'll try to decorate better and get a better spot.

For "table set up" would you recommend Ron Martins Book over Richard Websters "readings as entertainment?"

Does the palm readers notebook go over bookings too? In the back of Q&ECR Richard Mentions working in shopping malls, but doesn't really go into pitching it. I don't really see the benefit for the mall. I used to do close up magic in restaurants so I might give restaurant cold reading a shot too.

Thanks everyone!

-Chris
gypsyfish
View Profile
Veteran user
378 Posts

Profile of gypsyfish
I don't think Ron's book specifically deals with booking, but it is really one of the best books around as far as how to do readings. It walks you through everything you need to do. You can't go wrong buying it.

I'll toot Bev's horn, too. His tick sheets are very nice and a good way to get your name out there, too.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Best "Shut Eye" Palmistry Book? (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL