The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Slydini magic (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
asgar
View Profile
Elite user
401 Posts

Profile of asgar
I own Slydini's book and all available videos.I want to know what other magic he used to do except coins through the table,paper balls in the box or over the head,silk fountain,helicopter card,newspaper tear,sponge,cigerette.I know he did a linking ring routine.Is there any place I can find his versions of other magic.thanks.
Magic is believing in yourself, if you can do that, you can make anything happen.
Joe McIntyre
View Profile
New user
New jersey
61 Posts

Profile of Joe McIntyre
Did you look in the magical world of Slydini? it's by Karl Fulves.
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2695 Posts

Profile of Tom G
There are a couple of booklets out by one of his students. I believe a rubber band trick and one other that escapes me. His linking pins were released and you
must have the Slydini DVD set put out by Kozmo. Reel Magic Magazine (DVD) has a segment with Bill Wisch on Slydini's magic that just started with the last issue.
asgar
View Profile
Elite user
401 Posts

Profile of asgar
Thanks guys.
Well.I wanted his big effects like those mentioned.did he do cups and balls or If other guys are also looking for Slydini magic
I have the as I recall tony Slydini dvds,the magic of Slydini book,rocco ims Slydini video,his full performance in dick show.However a really good source is the stuff from D.Angelo Ferri.
These are some useful links
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=159
http://tonyslydini.blogspot.com/
http://www.lybrary.com/advanced_search_r......x=6&y=11

problems in due to my countrys policy I cant use credit card to buy online.I hope you can.Good luck.
Magic is believing in yourself, if you can do that, you can make anything happen.
kellaroneil
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of kellaroneil
What a magnificent performer Slydini was - so elegant with his silk routines.
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1832 Posts

Profile of Anatole
Slydini--like a lot of masters--knew and was capable of much more than is apparent from the books he wrote or the video performances that were recorded of his various routines. At "The Little Egypt Gazette" at
http://littleegyptmagic.com/four97.htm
we learn that a gentleman by the name of Alma Ritchie who was a student of Slydini learned a dancing cane routine from Slydini that was " beautiful and magical to watch."

It would be a great addition to the Slydini oevre if Alma Ritchie would share a little of what he learned from Slydini about the dancing cane. The article I cited notes that "Mr. Richie is also considering releasing the cane routine, possibly in the next 60 days." That article was published in 1997. Does anyone on the Café know Alma Ritchie and whether the dancing cane routine that he learned from Slydini was indeed ever published anywhere? I believe Alma Ritchie is a subscriber to the Electronic Grymoire and perhaps someone on the EG will have information about him.

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
----- Sonny Narvaez
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Ricky Jay not only studied with Slydini, but had a costume sewn by Slydini.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
I used to have 999 posts, now I have
1469 Posts

Profile of JNeal
Ricky also learned the dancing cane from Slydini...just try asking him to teach you the dancing cane! LOL
visit me @ JNealShow.com
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1832 Posts

Profile of Anatole
JNeal, your comment "Ricky also learned the dancing cane from Slydini" conjures up all kinds of interesting images.

I'll keep my eyes open for a book called _Dancing Canes As Weapons_. Maybe Ricky would include a photo of himself performing the routine dressed in the costume that Pete referenced. Video would be even better Smile

----- Sonny Narvaez
Magic-Scott
View Profile
Veteran user
310 Posts

Profile of Magic-Scott
My suggestion is to contact Bill Wisch, Slydini’s protégé and the only student ever sponsored by Slydini, in writing, to lecture on his behalf. He spent years studying with Slydini and can answer any questions about Slydini. His contact info is on his website: http://www.billwisch.com/contact.html
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
1469 Posts

Profile of JNeal
Anatole!
I'llgo one better... There IS a picture of Ricky doing the dancing cane...in the Slydini Bolero jacket!
It's in the Linking Ring early 1960's on a right hand page.. also it's the entire page..but I've forgotten what year!
but the image sticks so vividly in my mind!...as you might imagine.

when or if I see Ricky next...I'll ask him about it.
I think I asked him once around 1981 about it...when we were both working Tahoe...I've forgotten his answer...but not his bemused expression.
Regards-
J.Neal
visit me @ JNealShow.com
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Bill Wisch has a segment on Kozmo Magic's Reel Magic where he tells Slydini stories and teaches some of the magic Slydini taught him.
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1075 Posts

Profile of Leo H
Slydini might have had a version of the color changing silks. Fulves made a partial list at the end of The Best of Slydini...and More of the effects that would appear in the next set of Slydini volumes. The color changing silks is on that list but it did not make the cut in The Magical World of Slydini.

Slydini also had a water illusion that he performed a few times. There is a photo of Slydini performing it in his obituary that appeared in Stan Allen's Inside Magic newsletter. It looks like some kind of small Shadow Box and Slydini seems to be taking water out of it in a bowl. I've never found anything else on this illusion. I even wrote a letter to Karl Fulves inquiring about this illusion but never received a response.
Xaa
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of Xaa
Ran across an interesting article recently in Scientific American breaking down Slydini's balls-to-hat routine from the standpoint of the neuroscience involved. There are some distinctions made about what makes for good misdirection and why.

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/illu......c-trick/
"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science." - Albert Einstein, What I Believe (1930)
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1832 Posts

Profile of Anatole
I thought I had already posted this link to a jpeg on the "Routined Manipulations" facebook page of a young Ricky Jay in a bolero jacket doing the dancing cane routine that Slydini taught him. But just in case, here's the link again:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=......&theater
I think the jpeg is a screen grab from Ricky's "Deceptive Practices" DVD.

If Ricky makes an appearance at a future IBM convention, just for fun it would be great if he came out on stage wearing a similar outfit to perform his dancing cane routine.

----- Sonny Narvaez
Jerry
View Profile
Inner circle
Some where in Florida
1118 Posts

Profile of Jerry
The last place you see Ricky Jay, is at a magician's convention.
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
1469 Posts

Profile of JNeal
Many years ago, I believer Ricky was booked at a magic convention or event (south Africa?). He had been booked on his name alone, and they asked him to send a picture for promotional purposes. Knowing that his appearance was 'unconventional' at the time (this was when his hair was at its longest...) I was told that he sent a picture of another magician. I'm sure he made a surprising appearance when he arrived!

(rumor has it that the picture was of Dale Salwak...but I'm not sure...)
visit me @ JNealShow.com
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Sounds like Ricky Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1075 Posts

Profile of Leo H
That was a great story Jonathan! A magician should be well groomed unless he is playing the part of a hobo or something similar. Mr. Jay certainly did not look well groomed back in the 1970s.
KevinWisch
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of KevinWisch
Hi all,

Thought you might be interested to see the following two videos re: Tony Slydini and his only sponsored protege', Bill Wisch. In the first video, for the first time ever my father shows and discusses his original 1976 letter he received from Tony Slydini endorsing him to lecture and teach his magic. This letter is the only letter that any Slydini student ever received from Slydini specifically endorsing him to lecture and teach Slydini's magic. It is quite an amazing piece of magic history, to say the least.

In the second, he discusses his thoughts on who Tony Slydini was. Hope these videos are of interest to you. Bill launched a new website this year at https://www.billwisch.com and also started a Youtube Channel last year. Feel free to subscribe to Bill's youtube channel! More great content to come. Smile

"The Slydini Letter"

"Tony Slydini- The Possessor"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Slydini magic (3 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL