The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Bruce Lee - GOD - the lost Pagoda (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10576 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Hi all,

Maybe some of you already know this - but I stumbled on this while browsing yotube vids... but the lost footage to the GAME OF DEATH - the one it was supposed to really be (not the 1978 attempt at making something of the footage) - and it was friggin' amazing.

What does this have to do with Bizarre Magic and Mystery Entertainment?

Well, besides GOD likely inspiring the whole videogame craze concept of boss levels and so on, and Kill Bill sequences and a gazillion cultural references... its much more than that... you can read more about it on Wikiland but it was his going to be a hugely big statement about his martial art he developed - which really was like jazz/prepare for the context/quick adaptability.... and the fact he was going to get 4-5 masters of specific schools to be shown defeated by his style is huge!!! The parallels to what we must all do as performers to truly triumph in entertainment and engagement is parallel - we are all faced with "broken rhythms"...

But there is more! The whole pagoda sequence has mystical significance and moving up to different levels of mastery and understanding a craft... and look around at all the spiritual symbols on every level...

But there is more! The final level where he battles Karim - only in this footage do you find out the ultimate guardian is likely not human - but a super strength (defying physics in some of his holds) demon with serpent-light hating eyes.

But there is more! Even when he finishes of his ultimate foe - he doesn't go for what the so-called prize is at the top - he leaves...

There is mysteries and more around this whole thing...

But the concepts of martial arts philosophy, spiritual dimensions, and its application to where we play in the field of mystery seems obvious.

So here are the links... if you've seen the 1978 version and not this... I believe you are in for a major treat - I've now watched this a gazillion times... as there is dialogue too.... really cool stuff.... and the whole sequences of the pagoda now make more sense...

And I'll throw in a link to a doc showing there could be 2 more sequences of fights still lost hidden in a Golden Harvest Archive! It gives the backstory - but I think that story would have been altered in the long run... Bruce, who is a "god" to some, just never had the chance to finish what likely would have been his masterpiece and blow Enter the Dragon into nowheresville...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJFq64B_5EQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1as4iqpZNk

P.S. You'll note in the clip the theme music to GOD 1978 is playing during the karim fight... but the clip is from 1972 (pre) so someone edited it in - but note that that is one of the great things of the 1978 version - John Barry - great theme music... but Barry has always been a great soundtrack artist..... good stuff!!!!
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5289 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Love this! Thanks Doc.
It's hard to get past the dated sound effects and music...but Bruce is still Bruce. Still love his bizarre Kiai. And, his Nunchaku skills are unbelievable. I own multiple sets, and still can't imagine how he can wield a set with such a long Himo (the strings that attach the two sticks). Brilliant.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10576 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
I'm glad someone appreciated my post Smile

I used to be in martial arts too and would watch Bruce Lee flics as a kid and young adult endlessly - I don't believe anyone ever duplicated the essence of what was in those films - the martial arts films of today might have better sound effects and music - but they don't have the soul....

IMHO
TJ Halford
View Profile
Elite user
431 Posts

Profile of TJ Halford
All too true. todays martial arts films are more concerned with flash and flare instead of essence and believeability. As a former practicioner of the Neijia arts of Chen Taiji and Bagua I would really love to see some modern movies that really capture the principles behind these arts.
TJ Halford

"Imagine what is Possible"
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10576 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Quote:
On 2012-10-20 19:11, TJ Halford wrote:
All too true. todays martial arts films are more concerned with flash and flare instead of essence and believeability. As a former practicioner of the Neijia arts of Chen Taiji and Bagua I would really love to see some modern movies that really capture the principles behind these arts.

Seems like a direct parallel for the field of performance magic Smile
Godzilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Tied & Untied Witches on
5316 Posts

Profile of Godzilla
Smile

Bruce,did lay down the Law,on how one should perform !
His words,were very fitting!
"If you watch Godzilla backwards, it's about a big ass lizard who helps rebuild a half burnt-down city, then moonwalks back into the ocean"
TJ Halford
View Profile
Elite user
431 Posts

Profile of TJ Halford
Quote:
Seems like a direct parallel for the field of performance magic Smile

absolutely. couldn't agree more
TJ Halford

"Imagine what is Possible"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Bruce Lee - GOD - the lost Pagoda (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL