The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Need some advice (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ShadyGuy
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of ShadyGuy
Hello!

My name is Björn and I'm a 30 year old guy from sweden. been doing card magic on and off for a couple of years now.
I would say I'm at an intermediate level as it is now, I know the basic slights etc and some more andvanced stuff aswell,

What I'm most interested in is street magic (with cards mainly), love being able to just pick up a deck of cards at anytime, anywhere and do some nice tricks for anyone interested.

But I feel kinda stuck and I don't know where to go from here, I got the old routine, always doing the same tricks and when I try to look for some inspiration I have a hard time finding the right material.

I would love to get some advice on what a guy like me should aim for and practice to make my skill set better.

Feel free to ask anything you want if you need more info.

//B
krowboom
View Profile
Loyal user
Chicago area
233 Posts

Profile of krowboom
Try the magic Café forum. There have to be hundreds if not thousands of suggestions of what to do with cards or street magic. Just go to the specific forum on the Café for your answers. There is one specifically for street magic and a whole section on card magic.
ShadyGuy
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of ShadyGuy
Thanks for the reply.

But I might have been a little unclear in the previous post.

Would appreciate if people gave some info on what they did when they where at my level, along with suggestions for me regarding material and so on.

Thanks

//B
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
At the risk of being accused of plugging my own stuff, I'll plug my own stuff, because it might be just what you're looking for. Go to my magic website (listed under this post with the word "magic" in it) and see which of my stuff is currently available. Check out The Classic Collection volumes (if you're interested in impromptu, anywhere, any time card stuff). Best - HL.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
ShadyGuy
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of ShadyGuy
I`ll check it out right away, thanks Harry.
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Then, if you have any questions (or even to order!) feel free to ask them by emailing to my personal email address - that's the first address listed under this post. Harry L.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
ShadyGuy
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of ShadyGuy
Any more suggestions from the magic Café`s members?
scottds80
View Profile
Special user
Victoria, Australia
730 Posts

Profile of scottds80
Go to as many live magic events as you can, as this will give you ideas and inspiration of professionalism.
Join a magic club such as IBM, magic circle or society of magicians club. Rubbing shoulders with the guys there will surely point you in the right direction, because you can physically show them your routines and make suggestions based on what they see.
We can't just tell you what tricks to learn, it's your character you want to build on before you choose your effects.
For example, I love performing card prediction effects, but Its not in my style to perform ambitious card. It very well may be the other way for you.
All the best.
"Great Scott the Magician", Gippsland
Biggest_Oz
View Profile
New user
London
73 Posts

Profile of Biggest_Oz
Check out dan and dave trilogy they are quite creative tricks that could inspire you!
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
3242 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
Dave Penn has a DVD set out on doing Street Magic you could check.

The late Cassini had some resource materials you may be able to find.

For CARDS? I agree with Harry----he actually IS the best to start out with. Watch his DVDs. Check his handlings. He'll inspire you and give you a kick-start.

THE best, IMO, is Bebel of France. He truly epitomizes Street Magic Card Magic.
TH

Occupy Your Dream
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
Hej Bjorn,

One suggestion would be very visual card magic. Effects that are easy to see and can be done in your hands. Card Warp, a Torn & Restored Card and The I Hate David Copperfied Trick are a few thoughts.

I don't know if you live near Stockholm, but I know many of the local magicians there gather at the Magic Bar on a weekly basis and could be of help. It's in Östermalm.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
ShadyGuy
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of ShadyGuy
Thank you all for a lot of great ideas, ill get right into it and check out the material you suggested.

Motown: I don't live that close to stockholm but it sounds very interesting and I will look into that aswell.

Thx again guys
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
If you serious about street magic, be careful not to be seduced by card routines involving a table. You will probably never have that luxury. Look for effects that can be done standing, without a table.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Dr Art
View Profile
Regular user
170 Posts

Profile of Dr Art
A good street performer that demonstrates audience management, misdirection and everyday props found in bars, restaurants and things in your audience's pocket is On The Spot by Greg Wilson. He really knows how to work a group of people and has a good sense of humor and fun. You want your audience to enjoy themselves.
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Plus he's a great teacher. You really can't lose with any of his work.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Need some advice (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL