The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » My own style and persona: Combining my love of both pickpocket magic and coin together (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Strange Tasting Fish Sticks
View Profile
1988 - 2013
The Big Brother is watching you
1095 Posts

Profile of Strange Tasting Fish Sticks
Hi guys, I've always been interested in coin magic (well, only cards before that, but that was short lived..) and for over 4 years now pickpocket magic. I bought chappy Brazil's DVD with Charles Bach and was hooked ever since. I thought it was one of the best most powerful tricks, like the sponges I am good with. I thought handing the watch back in a giftbox to the spectator was the best idea ever, and sadly haven't seen it done elsewhere . Just put the watch behind your back , like how you'd put it on, and take the box out of your pocket and lay it in, while talking to the spectator for just an instant. It makes it much more magical. My magician "friend" (not a good guy, but that's another story. We had magic in common) after watching the DVD And we practiced o. Each other about a week, maybe 2, then he told me (its hard to know what he's telling is true or false, so everything I don't see him do, and just tell me is shady. Yeah , he had BAD criminal past and was a negative influence at times, but I never stooped to that level. He manipulatedly me eventually , told me my patents and everything I ever heard was a lie, I was going to be the apartment household owner, in charge, since I had no credit, due to his many felonies of bank robbery and other horrible things I found out later.. I had a bad gut feeling about him and the situation and told my parents who helped me cut off times with him, as bad as he was, he was a nice guy, and he was the only magician friend I had. Remember, I was a lot Younger then and was and still am a Bit naive from having aspergers syndrom . Those , I'm sad to say, doing what I loved, with him as a great card magician and me as a coin and sponge magician, were the happiest times of my life because I was doing my passion. He was the only "friend" I ever had as a. Adult at the time. Anyway ...) he attempted a watch steal, failed , used an "out" and was ok. He does fire magic a lot with flash paper , he loved it at the time and used it with almost everything . So he thought of using that in a pseudo coin trick to steal the watch. He said he succeeded, and the guy he stole it from was "so impressed" that he gave it to him. Thinking back now, it was a nice watch. Most likely he never stole it to begin with (he lied a lot... Like I said, hard to find reality from illusion with him) or stole it and kept it . Anyway, I live in AZ, and although I don't know why (I thought Michael would be flattered... Or maybe it was my mom who said not to say anything about meeting him, I forgot ). I emailed Michael Finney, this was 5 plus years ago , we happened to live within 10 miles of each other! I thought that was strange, the man was incredibly kind, we met up at Wendy's or KFC , I can't remember, we met, he taught me his watch steal. I liked it, it was easy and I could use it for a spinoff for my sponge routine. I later mentioned it here to our VIP guest at the time, Apollo Robbins, who said he used a variety of steals but often Finneys method for brining someone on stage. Michael also was so kind to give me 2 signed posters of him, (i love them and have them on my wall) and his great DVD with the watch steal, live at Lake Tahoe . More importantly, what I got out of meeting him is all the challenges he faced, everything was against him. In dark times, sometimes I remember our long talk about that and say to, if only myself, "Well. If Michael Finney got through it, so can I !" He's a very inspirational person. He told me about his cleft lip, how he (like I) was abused and teased horribly as a kid. He told me making jokes, comedy, helped him get past this and he used it to his advantage to become the outstanding magician of comedy he is today. I have nothing but praise for him. He told me how hard it was to "make it" as a magician, and he was just finally starting to become more recognized ,
. This was about 4 years ago , I think in 2008. 1 and half year later, at the Pen & Teller show, (most incredible show. I tell people and other magicians. Watch it ! Best $100 spent, best showmanship I've ever seen... Both of them are great ) after the massive crowds died down , ( everyone, probably 500+ people from the show were shoulder to shoulder in in a hug crowd in a tiny hallway , all wanted their picture with them after the show, you can imagine the chaos....) I saw, ironically and coincidently, Michael Finney there sitting on the bench talking to pen and teller. I said if he remembered me, he said no. He looked at my mom, (and since he was such a gentleman towards women, he liked my mom) and then remembered me and her from before at the fast food chain we were at. He introduced me to penn and teller, explaining to them he taught me the watch steal. I also, before then , asked penn how to keep a coin in CP without it falling out constantly, he told me to always have it in my hands. (This was when I was almost a absolute beginner in coin magic). . I'll never forget my time with him. He invited mr over to his house for more magic, but my mom said to give him a break because he was so busy she told me, and politely told him no thanks, I bought metal 2, which introduced me to some put pocketing with coins. I thought to myself, what if I could combind put pocketing and pickpocketing with coin magic? Well , I found out that suited me perfectly! I'm a very emotional guy and have no problems touching people to do a pickpocket steal or put pocket. I found quickly conditioning the spectator to be touch and be comfortable with you touching them is vital. Apollo called it "proximity invasion" and has a great ideas for pickpocketing in one of the first year EMC DVDs. I keep watching it, it's great info, plus I like seeing him pick pickpocket poor ponta the smith, Haha, (sorry, I had to throw that in) so I learned a routine in there called G,O,D,H,A,N.D which is cool but I didn't like it as much as the body loading sequence. Honestly, and this isn't meant as a bash towards Eric Jones, he helped me a lot as a Person and gave me hope, along with dr.rubinstein, Harris, and EVERYONE here, but after the coin on wrist (which is awesome , great reactions every time!) the coin on shoulder , I didn't like so much . To me, the "reassurance" thing didn't fly . Most spectators probably aren't thinking that. Honestly, and I'll take full responsibility , it fails when I do it after most practice 60% or more, to me, regardess, even if I condition them before, it needs more motivation IMHO . Apollo in a YouTube video of the real hustle, it was the most PERFECTLY motivated coin on shoulder I've ever seen. Gregory Wilson comes second with a great idea, but this routine in, On The Spot, uses 2 coins. Instead of just placing the hand there, I found the second way I get caught less, it introduces 2 stimuli, the spectator had a "split mind" (Apollo also mentions this on the first EMC DVDs . ) as the hand comes down into their hands, I think, this way, it's much more justified . Also, a precursor to Metal 2, on one of the NYCMS DVDs, he does a more motivated version , called tai chi production or something like that. I wish he would've put those subtitles in that routine in Metal 2. Now after watching, on the spot, I'm putting 3 more routines (well really only 2)) in my 10 tricks only for life repertoire . His 3/4 coins across, recapped revisited, and the pen stealing (in and after/before a coin routine) stealing the pen twice, I see no problem doing it in people's (friends) shirt pockets , but Dang it most of then are clipped in there hard with the cap (in the picket). I don't know if they'll feel that. Greg didn't go over that. I though about tossing the coin in the air, not really, the spectator knows they are being fooled and laugh, this misdirection and lower from higher tension is good for the pen steal, and say, "see, I didn't really throw it, but I Did, its a fake but Look , the real ones on the ground!" As I point to the floor, and say "here, move this way, can you see it now on the ground?" As they are thinking , just before I hear no, I move them as I said this, one hand on the left to guide/turn them, the other on the right to turn them, I immediately turn them on both sides, then swiftly steal the pen, putting it against their shoulder after I steal it to move them turm them to the left. I then put it in my ear , produce it, or continue while I have it there , and steal it again . I feel like taking it slow with pens is a good idea at first,
Yeah, you'll get caught a lot probably at first, I'll use an out anyway, but a pens worth like what, 50 cents ? The bic ones and such. From them I'll gradually , as I get more comfortable (btw I also load a coin under their watch in the Eric jones bodyloading sequence) go to watches, then sunglasses, and no, I'll never steal wallets. The point of this point is to tell you guys how I'm growing emotionally and magically, all the positive good things I'm blessed with the have happened to me, and to ask where the heck is James Freeman's "stealing the show " DVD available, it looks great and I never heard of it before. But lit. No magic shop carries it. I've looked at most on the Internet , except china 52, mysteriously had tons of them in stock, at "wholesale prices" yeah , no thanks, most likely bootlegged. Does anyone sell it used here? Tomorrow or later I'll post on the pockpocket forum and selling forum here on the Café,
. And I'm done. Writing this on my iPad (no keyboard , *** auto correct is flawed, need to turn the stupid thing off) took me almost 3 hours. But I love you guys and felt it was important. Please give me feedback and your thoughts. Thanks, Kevin.
Thaomodzo
View Profile
New user
Michigan
28 Posts

Profile of Thaomodzo
What a story Kevin, you really show a lot of determination in whatever you wish to learn. Keep it buddy, cause that is what will make you a success. I know that is how I learned to back palm 10 coins and do the 40 coin pass and also palming all 40 coins. Not enough people these days are determined to do what they love. But you can go out there and show them all the result of real hard work. You are a great coin worker, and I will make it a point to meet you someday.

- Dillon
Nick.Caress
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of Nick.Caress
Quote:
On 2012-10-22 23:09, Thaomodzo wrote:
...I know that is how I learned to back palm 10 coins and do the 40 coin pass and also palming all 40 coins...

I sure would love to see a youtube clip of this!

cheers,
Nick.Caress
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Hi Kevin! May I give you a tip to make your posts more readable? Separate your posts into paragraphs. Every third sentence, start another line. Like this:

Hi guys, I've always been interested in coin magic (well, only cards before that, but that was short lived..) and for over 4 years now pickpocket magic. I bought chappy Brazil's DVD with Charles Bach and was hooked ever since. I thought it was one of the best most powerful tricks, like the sponges I am good with.

I thought handing the watch back in a giftbox to the spectator was the best idea ever, and sadly haven't seen it done elsewhere . Just put the watch behind your back , like how you'd put it on, and take the box out of your pocket and lay it in, while talking to the spectator for just an instant. It makes it much more magical.

My magician "friend" (not a good guy, but that's another story. We had magic in common) after watching the DVD And we practiced o. Each other about a week, maybe 2, then he told me (its hard to know what he's telling is true or false, so everything I don't see him do, and just tell me is shady. Yeah , he had BAD criminal past and was a negative influence at times, but I never stooped to that level.

He manipulatedly me eventually , told me my patents and everything I ever heard was a lie, I was going to be the apartment household owner, in charge, since I had no credit, due to his many felonies of bank robbery and other horrible things I found out later..

I had a bad gut feeling about him and the situation and told my parents who helped me cut off times with him, as bad as he was, he was a nice guy, and he was the only magician friend I had. Remember, I was a lot Younger then and was and still am a Bit naive from having aspergers syndrome. Those, I'm sad to say, doing what I loved, with him as a great card magician and me as a coin and sponge magician, were the happiest times of my life because I was doing my passion.

He was the only "friend" I ever had as a. Adult at the time. Anyway ...) he attempted a watch steal, failed , used an "out" and was ok. He does fire magic a lot with flash paper , he loved it at the time and used it with almost everything . So he thought of using that in a pseudo coin trick to steal the watch. He said he succeeded, and the guy he stole it from was "so impressed" that he gave it to him.

Thinking back now, it was a nice watch. Most likely he never stole it to begin with (he lied a lot... Like I said, hard to find reality from illusion with him) or stole it and kept it . Anyway, I live in AZ, and although I don't know why (I thought Michael would be flattered... Or maybe it was my mom who said not to say anything about meeting him, I forgot ).

I emailed Michael Finney, this was 5 plus years ago , we happened to live within 10 miles of each other! I thought that was strange, the man was incredibly kind, we met up at Wendy's or KFC , I can't remember, we met, he taught me his watch steal. I liked it, it was easy and I could use it for a spinoff for my sponge routine.

I later mentioned it here to our VIP guest at the time, Apollo Robbins, who said he used a variety of steals but often Finneys method for brining someone on stage. Michael also was so kind to give me 2 signed posters of him, (i love them and have them on my wall) and his great DVD with the watch steal, live at Lake Tahoe .

More importantly, what I got out of meeting him is all the challenges he faced, everything was against him. In dark times, sometimes I remember our long talk about that and say to, if only myself, "Well. If Michael Finney got through it, so can I !" He's a very inspirational person. He told me about his cleft lip, how he (like I) was abused and teased horribly as a kid.

He told me making jokes, comedy, helped him get past this and he used it to his advantage to become the outstanding magician of comedy he is today. I have nothing but praise for him. He told me how hard it was to "make it" as a magician, and he was just finally starting to become more recognized.

This was about 4 years ago , I think in 2008. 1 and half year later, at the Pen & Teller show, (most incredible show. I tell people and other magicians. Watch it ! Best $100 spent, best showmanship I've ever seen... Both of them are great ) after the massive crowds died down , ( everyone, probably 500+ people from the show were shoulder to shoulder in in a hug crowd in a tiny hallway , all wanted their picture with them after the show, you can imagine the chaos....)

I saw, ironically and coincidently, Michael Finney there sitting on the bench talking to pen and teller. I said if he remembered me, he said no. He looked at my mom, (and since he was such a gentleman towards women, he liked my mom) and then remembered me and her from before at the fast food chain we were at. He introduced me to penn and teller, explaining to them he taught me the watch steal.

I also, before then , asked penn how to keep a coin in CP without it falling out constantly, he told me to always have it in my hands. (This was when I was almost a absolute beginner in coin magic). I'll never forget my time with him. He invited mr over to his house for more magic, but my mom said to give him a break because he was so busy she told me, and politely told him no thanks, I bought metal 2, which introduced me to some put pocketing with coins.

I thought to myself, what if I could combind put pocketing and pickpocketing with coin magic? Well , I found out that suited me perfectly! I'm a very emotional guy and have no problems touching people to do a pickpocket steal or put pocket. I found quickly conditioning the spectator to be touch and be comfortable with you touching them is vital.

Apollo called it "proximity invasion" and has a great ideas for pickpocketing in one of the first year EMC DVDs. I keep watching it, it's great info, plus I like seeing him pick pickpocket poor ponta the smith, Haha, (sorry, I had to throw that in) so I learned a routine in there called G,O,D,H,A,N.D which is cool but I didn't like it as much as the body loading sequence.

Honestly, and this isn't meant as a bash towards Eric Jones, he helped me a lot as a Person and gave me hope, along with dr.rubinstein, Harris, and EVERYONE here, but after the coin on wrist (which is awesome , great reactions every time!) the coin on shoulder , I didn't like so much . To me, the "reassurance" thing didn't fly . Most spectators probably aren't thinking that.

Honestly, and I'll take full responsibility , it fails when I do it after most practice 60% or more, to me, regardess, even if I condition them before, it needs more motivation IMHO . Apollo in a YouTube video of the real hustle, it was the most PERFECTLY motivated coin on shoulder I've ever seen. Gregory Wilson comes second with a great idea, but this routine in, On The Spot, uses 2 coins.

Instead of just placing the hand there, I found the second way I get caught less, it introduces 2 stimuli, the spectator had a "split mind" (Apollo also mentions this on the first EMC DVDs . ) as the hand comes down into their hands, I think, this way, it's much more justified . Also, a precursor to Metal 2, on one of the NYCMS DVDs, he does a more motivated version , called tai chi production or something like that.

I wish he would've put those subtitles in that routine in Metal 2. Now after watching, on the spot, I'm putting 3 more routines (well really only 2)) in my 10 tricks only for life repertoire . His 3/4 coins across, recapped revisited, and the pen stealing (in and after/before a coin routine) stealing the pen twice, I see no problem doing it in people's (friends) shirt pockets , but Dang it most of then are clipped in there hard with the cap (in the picket).

I don't know if they'll feel that. Greg didn't go over that. I though about tossing the coin in the air, not really, the spectator knows they are being fooled and laugh, this misdirection and lower from higher tension is good for the pen steal, and say, "see, I didn't really throw it, but I Did, its a fake but Look , the real ones on the ground!"

As I point to the floor, and say "here, move this way, can you see it now on the ground?" As they are thinking , just before I hear no, I move them as I said this, one hand on the left to guide/turn them, the other on the right to turn them, I immediately turn them on both sides, then swiftly steal the pen, putting it against their shoulder after I steal it to move them turm them to the left.

I then put it in my ear , produce it, or continue while I have it there , and steal it again . I feel like taking it slow with pens is a good idea at first, Yeah, you'll get caught a lot probably at first, I'll use an out anyway, but a pens worth like what, 50 cents ? The bic ones and such.

From them I'll gradually , as I get more comfortable (btw I also load a coin under their watch in the Eric jones bodyloading sequence) go to watches, then sunglasses, and no, I'll never steal wallets. The point of this point is to tell you guys how I'm growing emotionally and magically, all the positive good things I'm blessed with the have happened to me, and to ask where the heck is James Freeman's "stealing the show " DVD available, it looks great and I never heard of it before.

But lit. No magic shop carries it. I've looked at most on the Internet , except china 52, mysteriously had tons of them in stock, at "wholesale prices" yeah , no thanks, most likely bootlegged. Does anyone sell it used here? Tomorrow or later I'll post on the pockpocket forum and selling forum here on the Café. And I'm done.

Writing this on my iPad (no keyboard , *** auto correct is flawed, need to turn the stupid thing off) took me almost 3 hours. But I love you guys and felt it was important. Please give me feedback and your thoughts.

Thanks, Kevin.

There ya go. Much easier to read. If you want people to take you seriously, learning to write well is imperative! Run-on sentences and non-sequitors also detract from an otherwise intelligent post! Smile

Doug
Thaomodzo
View Profile
New user
Michigan
28 Posts

Profile of Thaomodzo
Nick.Caress, there already is a performance of the creator of this effect on youtube. Just search t. Nelson downs on youtube and you can see some of the tricks he used to do, most of them coming from his book modern coin manipulation.

- Dillon
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Thanks Doug! I couldn't/wouldn’t read it the way it was.

:bg:

Jim
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » My own style and persona: Combining my love of both pickpocket magic and coin together (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL