The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Wands (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
wafflesthemagician
View Profile
New user
Vancouver, Canada
73 Posts

Profile of wafflesthemagician
I've noticed the majority of the posts here on the Café to be about routines of cups & balls, & review of what kind of cups to use, etc.

There's a vital part I'm missing here, and that's the wand. It plays an important role in misdirection, and has other uses too. What are some of the qualities that you would like in a wand? Made from metal, plastic, wood, other strange amalgams of materials? Heavy, light, balanced, intentionally unbalanced? etc. You could have different wands for different purposes.

I've been looking to get a good wand, but I'm not quite sure who makes them. Any suggestions?
rudy-ray
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of rudy-ray
I make mine from a 1/2 inch dowel.
cirrus
View Profile
Inner circle
his minions made
1752 Posts

Profile of cirrus
I use a harry potter style wand. I don't like the look of the typical magician's wand, because I just don't love how they look.

I know I sacrifice a few moves, but I can cover them with my own (as you can read in the secret sessions post by Lawrence O).

I love the variaty in harry potter style wands as opposed to the magician's style wands. I love to be unique-looking in what I do.
wsgumby
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of wsgumby
My favorite wands are made by a guy named ironbids who sells them on a store on the big auction site called Ironbrook Woodworks. I just bought a wand from him, oak with purpleheart tips, for $30 bucks! Too cool. Joe Porper makes some beatiful metal wands that can be found on most of the big online magic shops. Roy Kueppers makes a variety of very nice wands that can be found on his website. Moonlite Magic makes a good looking wand from exotic woods that can be found on the RNTII site. Tango makes a good durable basic wand that doesn't cost a lot. Look around, they're out there.
pabloinus
View Profile
Inner circle
1522 Posts

Profile of pabloinus
Michael Baker here at thecafe makes very nice ones and I also bought a nice one form ironbids on ebay
Gary T.
View Profile
Veteran user
375 Posts

Profile of Gary T.
I wish I could pull off a Harry Potter style wand, as I've been a HUGE Harry Potter fan since like, 3rd grade when I read the first book, but alas I would look rediculous with one, mainly becuase I would point it at people and yell CRUCIO in the middle of my routine, expecially if I got a heckler. Yes, I know what you're thinking, and No, I do not have any self-control. I still find myself wanting to shake my wand furiously at people, then complain that the thing must be busted because they're not turning into frogs.
Gary T.
View Profile
Veteran user
375 Posts

Profile of Gary T.
Oh, I almost forgot, I use the wand my mentor gave me, it's just a penguin magic wand, but it's good and heavy and balanced really well, I like it, though mines gotten kind of beat up from so many failed wand spins until I got where I was perfect every time. but it's still nice.
cirrus
View Profile
Inner circle
his minions made
1752 Posts

Profile of cirrus
With the harry potter wands you have to be graceful and do things slowly, you can't bang the cups you can merely tap them. You can do a wand-spin variant with the harry potter style wand.
Bapu
View Profile
Regular user
with a paltry
161 Posts

Profile of Bapu
I've made several from oak dowels of various dimensions and paint jobs.

I drill a v-shaped indentation in the ends (not my idea by the way) which it not noticeable after painting.

This allows me to balance a ball on the end with no effort.

It looks like it takes skill! Smile ha ha

Can be a nice little bit of misdirection.

Use it with chop cup, cups and balls, billiard balls...
Bapu practices law and conjuring in the Great Smoky Mountains of East Tennessee.
Bapu
View Profile
Regular user
with a paltry
161 Posts

Profile of Bapu
PS

You could also drill a small hole in one or both ends to insert small NEODYMIUM rod magnets.

Also not my idea.
Bapu practices law and conjuring in the Great Smoky Mountains of East Tennessee.
Gary T.
View Profile
Veteran user
375 Posts

Profile of Gary T.
Bapu, the neodymium magnet in the end could be crazy useful, though I would have to drill deeper and put some lead or something in before the magnet, just to give it some extra weight, cuz dowel rods are light light light haha
Donnie Buckley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Cleveland, Ohio
1119 Posts

Profile of Donnie Buckley
Quote:
On 2012-10-24 00:31, Gary T. wrote:
I wish I could pull off a Harry Potter style wand, as I've been a HUGE Harry Potter fan since like, 3rd grade when I read the first book, but alas I would look rediculous with one, mainly becuase I would point it at people and yell CRUCIO in the middle of my routine, expecially if I got a heckler. Yes, I know what you're thinking, and No, I do not have any self-control. I still find myself wanting to shake my wand furiously at people, then complain that the thing must be busted because they're not turning into frogs.

CRUCIO is a little harsh. I just say STUPEFY.
Learn the form, but seek the formless. Learn it all, then forget it all. Learn the way, then find your own way. Rings-N-Things
Gary T.
View Profile
Veteran user
375 Posts

Profile of Gary T.
Quote:
On 2012-10-25 00:12, Donnie Buckley wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-10-24 00:31, Gary T. wrote:

CRUCIO is a little harsh. I just say STUPEFY.

maybe it's a little harsh, but they can crawl away so no permanent harm done... I think.... I would use Imperio on those volunteers that have issues following simple directions
cirrus
View Profile
Inner circle
his minions made
1752 Posts

Profile of cirrus
I would use avada kedavra on people with almost no common knowledge... who don't like to learn. Who don't know the difference between Dutch and German or where the eiffeltower is.
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3615 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
My favorite wand is one I made out of copper pipe. I like a little heavier feel, which it gives, it can easily be chopped, and can hold various items for a magical reveal. Spray with salt water for an antique look...
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24190 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2012-10-23 18:13, wafflesthemagician wrote:
I've noticed the majority of the posts here on the Café to be about routines of cups & balls, & review of what kind of cups to use, etc.

There's a vital part I'm missing here, and that's the wand. It plays an important role in misdirection, and has other uses too. What are some of the qualities that you would like in a wand? Made from metal, plastic, wood, other strange amalgams of materials? Heavy, light, balanced, intentionally unbalanced? etc. You could have different wands for different purposes.

I've been looking to get a good wand, but I'm not quite sure who makes them. Any suggestions?

Have you tried the "Search" function? Go up to the bracketed words in the upper right corner of the page, and click on the word "Search". Search in "Ever so sleightly."

This subject has been DONE TO DEATH.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24190 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2012-10-23 18:31, cirrus wrote:
I use a harry potter style wand. I don't like the look of the typical magician's wand, because I just don't love how they look.

Wow! That's one of the best examples of circular logic I have ever seen.

Quote:
I know I sacrifice a few moves, but I can cover them with my own (as you can read in the secret sessions post by Lawrence O).

I love the variaty in harry potter style wands as opposed to the magician's style wands. I love to be unique-looking in what I do.

So instead of looking like a magician, you are going to look like all of the Harry Potter fans. That's unique!

Have you ever considered not using a wand?
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Motley Mage
View Profile
Special user
572 Posts

Profile of Motley Mage
Bill, I just might have to use that example in my composition class next week. We're looking at logical falacies right now.

I know what the OP means, but, "I prefer a fantasy look to a classic magician's wand," would be a better expression of his thinking (though still not an argument for either).

I would suggest, "The Harry Potter style wands better suit the character I am developing and promote a very different audience reaction." Not that I use either much.
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
3615 Posts

Quote:
On 2012-10-23 18:31, cirrus wrote:

cirrus-

I would really like to use a good-looking wand and, after thought, realize the only advantage of the standard issue seems to be the wand spin. Have you found a method for a good wand spin with a HP style wand?

Thanks,

Jim
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
3615 Posts

Quote:
On 2012-10-24 11:20, Bapu wrote:
PS

You could also drill a small hole in one or both ends to insert small NEODYMIUM rod magnets.

Also not my idea.

While this idea certainly can work, where you really want the mag is in the middle...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Wands (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL