We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Closure of the Cups and Balls Museum (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24210 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
The Cups and Balls Museum is closed. I have disabled all access to the web site, so once you get to the main page, when you try to log in, you will get an error message. This is the result of a series of personal events that have occurred over the past year or so.

I will be selling the contents of the museum over the next few months. I will probably retain a few sets that I have become rather attached to, but at least 75% of the cups will be out of here by the end of the year.

I want to thank everyone who has contributed to the museum. Many of you have donated cups, many of you have asked questions that caused me to investigate and question the history of the routine as it had been presented by other magicians and collectors.

I've met a lot of friends through the museum.

I'll be putting a list of those who have helped me the most in a few days.

I'll probably put together some packages of types of cups for the people who want various kinds of sets.

Please do me one favor. Please do not send in requests for sets of cups at this time.

I'll post more about this in the future.

Meanwhile, I want to thank all of you who participated in any way to the development of the museum.

For research purposes, I will be reopening the site in a month or two. Right now, the Museum is in stasis.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
francisngkl
View Profile
Special user
Singapore
509 Posts

Profile of francisngkl
Hi Bill,

I still cannot believe this... I wish you all the best, please stay in touch with us in the forum.

Best Regards

Francis
Carpe Diem, Seize The Day!
Jimeh
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1399 Posts

Profile of Jimeh
This is VERY sad to hear, Bill. I want to thank you for all that you've done with the museum and being an incredible fountain of knowledge here at the Café. Wish you nothing but the best, sir.

James
Colonel Clark
View Profile
Regular user
Mesa, AZ
127 Posts

Profile of Colonel Clark
Bill: Sorry to hear that you are closing the C&B museum. Thank you for sharing it over the years. We all wish you well in whatever you decide to do. Kind Magical Regards from Colonel Clark!
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18560 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Sadly, all good things come to an end. Bill will go down in magic's history of the finest, most knowledgeable person "ever" regarding the Cups & Balls.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Bill Wilson
View Profile
Special user
539 Posts

Profile of Bill Wilson
Sorry to hear of this Bill. Life does have it's ups and downs but please stay in the loop. Your wisdom would be badly missed.
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1066 Posts

Profile of BCS
Bill,

It was great while it lasted... I have so enjoyed the C&BM over the years. Like many, I became interested in Cups because of Bill and appreciate all that he has shared with us.

Bill... thank you so much and I wish you the best in whatever you do.

Thanks,
Bruce
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4816 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
Thanks Bill for all your efforts. You've taught me a lot.

Larry
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Bill, why not ask Gabe Fajuri to find a collector that would buy the entire collection of the museum (except for the cups you want to keep) and have a rich collector keep the museum running and increasing. I know that Gabe would have potential buyers that may take up the work you have so brilliantly carried out over the years and keep it going.
Dispersing the cups to collectors will possibly lose the history attached to each set where a unique buyer could keep the knowledge available...

Just a thought... (and in any case don't sell short the Buccellati cup that I gave you, it really is worth a small fortune nowadays)

Hope you're well
Magic is the art of proving impossible things in parallel dimensions that can't be reached
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
3973 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Bill, you have brought a great deal of knowledge to a great deal of people, through your museum...and many other ways, I am sure. Thank you for all the work you have put in to bring the magic world more knowledge of the cups and balls.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
wsgumby
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of wsgumby
This makes me sad. I was hoping I could see it. Take care Bill.
panlives
View Profile
Inner circle
2087 Posts

Profile of panlives
Smile
"Is there any point to which you would wish to draw my attention?"
"To the curious incident of the dog in the night-time."
"The dog did nothing in the night-time."
"That was the curious incident," remarked Sherlock Holmes.
cirrus
View Profile
Inner circle
his minions made
1752 Posts

Profile of cirrus
Ohh Smile
no more cups and balls museum...
Donnie Buckley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Cleveland, Ohio
1119 Posts

Profile of Donnie Buckley
Bill,
Good luck with the sell off. If I can help in any way, just call.
Learn the form, but seek the formless. Learn it all, then forget it all. Learn the way, then find your own way. Rings-N-Things
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11157 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Bill, I am sad to hear this. I wish this collection could have been put on DVD or in a book, so that it would continue to work for you after it has been sold. As with all wonderful things in magic, it needs to be somehow preserved for history.

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Magic-Scott
View Profile
Veteran user
310 Posts

Profile of Magic-Scott
Bill, I too am sad to hear about this. Thank you for kindness and for teaching and sharing. I will miss the C&BM. I hope you can find a way to preserve the collection. All my best wishes, -Scott
fortasse
View Profile
Inner circle
1196 Posts

Profile of fortasse
Wow! What a shocker! Bill is the very centre of gravity of the Cups and Balls magic fraternity, and the museum was, well, THE shrine and an immensely valuable research station for all of us.

Will take a little while for this to sink in.

Bill: all the best to you in all your future endeavors, be they great or small. Above all, I wish you happiness, good health, and long life.

Hope we can stay in touch,

Your friend,

Sean
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24210 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2012-10-24 15:53, Lawrence O wrote:
Bill, why not ask Gabe Fajuri to find a collector that would buy the entire collection of the museum (except for the cups you want to keep) and have a rich collector keep the museum running and increasing. I know that Gabe would have potential buyers that may take up the work you have so brilliantly carried out over the years and keep it going.
Dispersing the cups to collectors will possibly lose the history attached to each set where a unique buyer could keep the knowledge available...

Just a thought... (and in any case don't sell short the Buccellati cup that I gave you, it really is worth a small fortune nowadays)

Hope you're well

Hello Etienne--

Not to worry. The Bucellati cup is definitely one of the "keepers"! I know what it's worth. But the value as a gift from a friend is even greater than the "worth" of the cup.

Also, don't worry about me -- I'm doing fine. I have just been put into a position of having to make some tough decisions.

I'll talk to Gabe about this.

Bill
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24210 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Just to put everyone's mind at ease -- the museum, itself, will be back on line again soon. I have a lot to do between now and when it reopens. It will continue as a virtual museum, a resource that will exist in cyberspace.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

cirrus
View Profile
Inner circle
his minions made
1752 Posts

Profile of cirrus
Bill,
When you put it back online, can I have an account so I can have a look at the cups?
I would love to virtually visit the museum.
Thank you.
Greetings,
Cirrus
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Closure of the Cups and Balls Museum (5 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL