The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Scream by Jamie Daws (9 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
NeverMind
View Profile
Regular user
Right up there. On the stage.
175 Posts

Profile of NeverMind
Just kidding, mate Smile
It is better to be trusted than liked.
Under promise. Over perform.
Nathan Alexander
View Profile
Inner circle
1105 Posts

Profile of Nathan Alexander
Ha! I know.
The Duster
View Profile
Inner circle
1579 Posts

Profile of The Duster
Quote:
On Oct 28, 2016, MazingMandy wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 27, 2016, The Duster wrote:
It's to friends [who know you do 'real' magic] - it's for girls [you've just met] on a night out, it's a practical joke type effect

:rolleyes:

Yeah that was sort of what I was saying, but didn't want to spell it out

I only got it as a Halloween one off

My get togethers are on Thursday's [yesterday]

and for the first time ever I 'chickened' out of doing the magic in the meet up

I didn't tell anyone, so they didn't know I decided to not do something

I have done really big and brave effects - that have involved a lot of audience management, and this is the one I got cold feet over

I just didn't believe the missing head was going to get much

And so I was left with a story, and a shock ending... which didn't feel like it was going to be bullying - it just didn't seem right

I guess stuff I've done in the past has had an effect on people, and they have tried to work it out, and been puzzled/amazed

Maybe I was worried this would cheapen what had gone before

Maybe I'm just a puss ie

I don't know

But in regards to this being a practical joke/for guys to do to impress girls on a night out - that's all it's shown as in the demos

I will see what new endings are put up on the website and see if any of them sit better for me
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2097 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
Again, I'm not saying no one should do jump scares, and I'm not even saying that serious magicians shouldn't do jump scares. What I am saying is that jump scares destroy tension and drama, and that is not something I aspire to do.

My order should be here today or tomorrow. I hope today, but we'll see - my mail carrier isn't always enthusiastic about getting stuff delivered promptly, I just don't have time to go to the post office since they moved it to the next town over.

If I get it today I suspect I will be able to play with it soon and test out my theoretical presentation.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
SAMARITAN013
View Profile
New user
BELGIUM
11 Posts

Profile of SAMARITAN013
I bought my copy of SCREAM at Alakazam in pre-order.
I received it last week and have performed it 18 times yet.
The reaction of the spectators is always great and different, but ends always with a good laughing.
I like this trick a lot!!! I do not think it's a kids-joke. (so isn't "The little hand" for exemple, which could be made bloody for Halloween Smile

The props are superb and EVERYTHING is supplied: Photos, letter, envelope, banger, "ammunition" and DVD.
(One negative: I ran out of caps and at this date I cannot find caps that are loud enough. In my country the available caps are practically inaudible.
They only make smoke and smell. I am waiting for Alakazam to sell refills.

When you buy from Alakazam (and register the product) you get streaming videos, which is nice too.
In my experience the communication with Alakazam is always good and rapid.

I met Peter Nardi at the BMA in Brussels and we could discuss "Scream".
With a little imagination one can easily perform the trick without the bang-end (if this should be a problem for some)
For ex. one could use the nice included parchment paper (which I made older with the tea technique and some red paint for the blood).
In this letter Suzanna wrote a strange testament, that the spectator shall read whilst trying to resolve the mysterious message.
The will includes bizarre signs as circle, plus, wavy lines, ... and a strange plot.
I perform then "Will the cards match" with "old" ESP cards that were found in a drawer in the creepy house of Suzanne, just before it was burned...
If the cards match the will of Suzanna shall be executed. Smile Smile Smile

... and on I go.

Thank you .
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
3802 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Quote:
On Oct 28, 2016, WitchDocChris wrote:
Again, I'm not saying no one should do jump scares, and I'm not even saying that serious magicians shouldn't do jump scares. What I am saying is that jump scares destroy tension and drama, and that is not something I aspire to do.

My order should be here today or tomorrow. I hope today, but we'll see - my mail carrier isn't always enthusiastic about getting stuff delivered promptly, I just don't have time to go to the post office since they moved it to the next town over.

If I get it today I suspect I will be able to play with it soon and test out my theoretical presentation.

My problem with this effect is that it's basically just that jump scare. There's really no actual magical effect here (which you can see by the performance in the Alakazam vlog, basically it was "uh huh, uh huh" BANG! "ahhhhhhh!"). Thus I brought up the Web, that effect ends with a jump scare but there's also a very clear to follow magical effect as well.
MadisonH
View Profile
Inner circle
1294 Posts

Profile of MadisonH
This has a very clear "magic" moment before the jump scare.

But again, this isn't meant to be done as "let me show you a magic trick." It's meant to be a spooky telling of a story in which paranormal things happen.
The great Gumbini
View Profile
Inner circle
1838 Posts

Profile of The great Gumbini
Fits into the "Magic Against Humanity" theme. But you know what they say to each his own. Do yourself a favor if you buy this really ham it up and take your time especially towards the end. Even lowering your voice just a tad will net you nice results.

Good magic to all,

Eric
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
3802 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Quote:
On Oct 28, 2016, MadisonH wrote:

But again, this isn't meant to be done as "let me show you a magic trick." It's meant to be a spooky telling of a story in which paranormal things happen.

Not really, the effect is performed uncut and complete in the Alakazam vlog.
Ross W
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
1596 Posts

Profile of Ross W
WOuldn't you get the same effect by simply shouting "BOO!" when they reach for the envelope?
Author
Twitter: @rosswelford
www.rosswelford.com
MadisonH
View Profile
Inner circle
1294 Posts

Profile of MadisonH
Quote:
On Nov 1, 2016, kissdadookie wrote:
Quote:
On Oct 28, 2016, MadisonH wrote:

Not really, the effect is performed uncut and complete in the Alakazam vlog.

How do you describe the moment when her face is scratched out without explanation? It's meant to be a chilling, freaky moment. It is. Again... (you're making me sound like a broken record here) it isn't a "MAGIC TRICK" it's a spooky telling of a ghost story with a scary ending. Think of sitting around a campfire and everyone is telling the spookiest story they know to attempt to scare the others present. That's what I see this as.
The Duster
View Profile
Inner circle
1579 Posts

Profile of The Duster
Quote:
On Nov 1, 2016, Ross W wrote:
WOuldn't you get the same effect by simply shouting "BOO!" when they reach for the envelope?

awesome - save me having to buy refils
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
3802 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Quote:
On Nov 1, 2016, MadisonH wrote:
How do you describe the moment when her face is scratched out without explanation? It's meant to be a chilling, freaky moment. It is. Again... (you're making me sound like a broken record here) it isn't a "MAGIC TRICK" it's a spooky telling of a ghost story with a scary ending. Think of sitting around a campfire and everyone is telling the spookiest story they know to attempt to scare the others present. That's what I see this as.

That's the problem. The story is not memorable and the pay off is the jump scare. On paper, we know the effect is that the pictures changes in a spooky fashion, but the way the whole thing plays out and structured, the beat in the performance is drastically diminished and even forgotten by the jump scare finale. On paper there is a magical effect, played out in real life, it's pretty much good as lost. There's a big discrepancy from the actual impact in performance and what it would appear on paper. A spooky telling of a ghost story is not an effect, it's a spooky telling of a ghost story. Even at that, this is not much of a spooky story and comes off more as a gag.

Correct me if I'm wrong, last time I checked, this place was called The Magic Café and the Latest and Greatest was discussing actual magic effects or utility items which assists in effects? I wasn't aware that it was Tom's Joke Shop Corner or something.
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2097 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
The face being scratched out is definitely a peak moment and that could be the climax of the routine. If played up that volunteer will be scared to turn that photo over and when they do there will be a reaction. The jump scare is such a sudden shift of emotional state (From tense anticipation to shocked adrenaline rush) that it will erase all the emotional states leading up to that.

I've been busy and also sick so I have not had time to play with this yet. All I can say is the props are definitely well made. You do have to do a bit of prep yourself, which I was first annoyed with then checked myself because it's much better that way. Now I can make the final reveal look exactly how I want it to look which is excellent.

I look forward to trying out my version when I do get the time.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
England
7232 Posts

Profile of pegasus
I've been using a Stooge. They creep up behind the spec armed with a rolling pin and a biscuit tin. At the right moment they smash the biscuit tin and it gets great reactions. Ok so we lost an old lady last week, but other than that misshap, it's an excellent effect.
johndevacmaker
View Profile
Special user
567 Posts

Profile of johndevacmaker
Dave Loosley got me well and truly at the Magic Circle dealers day and I still bought it after I called him a B…..D
I got revenge on my wife well maybe not I'm now in the spare room
This is so much fun and so easy to perform

Peter Nardi have you considered getting rid of Dave ?

Only kidding it was a pleasure talking to you again
Fero
View Profile
Loyal user
242 Posts

Profile of Fero
Got it today
Nice the effect of the scratched pic..... but personally I would stop there.
The cap in the end ruins the performance in my opinion. Combine this with a ESP prediction would make a perfect ending.
SAMARITAN013
View Profile
New user
BELGIUM
11 Posts

Profile of SAMARITAN013
@ Fero, That's right.

I also close my scream-routine now (without the bang) by only revealing the scratch figure. (I had no more caps)
Then I open the bloody letter where the spectator can read Suzanna's will.
In the letter there are also strange symbols appearing.
I then take 5 ESP symbol cards, which I have made old with the tea method)
I tell the ESP card were found in Suzanna's house together with the pics and the letter...and on I go with a ESP prediction.

It gets nice reactions AND interaction of the spectator.

Nice trick and nice props! Worth the money.
Fero
View Profile
Loyal user
242 Posts

Profile of Fero
Quote:
On Nov 3, 2016, SAMARITAN013 wrote:
@ Fero, That's right.

I also close my scream-routine now (without the bang) by only revealing the scratch figure. (I had no more caps)
Then I open the bloody letter where the spectator can read Suzanna's will.
In the letter there are also strange symbols appearing.
I then take 5 ESP symbol cards, which I have made old with the tea method)
I tell the ESP card were found in Suzanna's house together with the pics and the letter...and on I go with a ESP prediction.

It gets nice reactions AND interaction of the spectator.

Nice trick and nice props! Worth the money.

Which esp prediction you perform?? Right now I have just the symbol routine from alakazam (zenner tech will come soon) or you suggest something better to perform??
reignofsound
View Profile
Inner circle
Glasgow, UK
1414 Posts

Profile of reignofsound
I usually just shout bang as my gimmick sometimes fails.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Scream by Jamie Daws (9 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL