The Magic Cafť
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Ľ Ľ Latest and Greatest? Ľ Ľ Scream by Jamie Daws (9 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
James Fortune
View Profile
Special user
UK
509 Posts

Profile of James Fortune
No Duster, the plural is ****ses or ***es if you use the Latin form Smile
Warmest regards
James

James Fortune MIMC
www.comedymagiciansurrey.co.uk
www.bestweddingmagician.co.uk
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2239 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
I am not saying that no one should perform this. What I am saying is that I would never, ever do the presentation shown in the VLog. I hate jump scares, I think they are the lazy way to "scare" someone. Startling someone is easy. It takes no skill, no thought, and does nothing beyond that half second except make people's heart beat increase for a moment. That is not "Scary" - scary is wondering if the shadow you saw out the corner of your eye is something that could hurt you in the dark. Scary is knowing something is chasing you and you can't see it. Scary is being in the dark in an unfamiliar house and hearing noises you can't explain. Scary lasts. Scary builds up. Startling someone just makes them not trust you any more.

The more I think about this, the more annoyed I get.

From the ad copy: "Over 4 years in development to give your spectators the ultimate live horror experience!" - It took 4 years to figure out that sudden, loud noises startle people?

"Imagine every ingredient that makes a killer horror film being used to create an experience like no other." - An experience like no other? An experience that anyone who has ever been in a Spencer's Gifts or any joke store is more like it.

Like I said, I will probably be able to make something good with the props, but this is a lesson learned the hard way.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
The Duster
View Profile
Inner circle
1602 Posts

Profile of The Duster
Quote:
On Oct 27, 2016, James Fortune wrote:
No Duster, the plural is ****ses or ***es if you use the Latin form Smile

yeah it was a joke

I should have let you known it wasn't serious by at the end making a loud BANG
The Duster
View Profile
Inner circle
1602 Posts

Profile of The Duster
Quote:
On Oct 27, 2016, WitchDocChris wrote:

From the ad copy: "Over 4 years in development to give your spectators the ultimate live horror experience!" - It took 4 years to figure out that sudden, loud noises startle people?

Do rememberthe bang ending is new-ish

it's not how the trick used to end

it used to just be the 'head' shot reveal - that I don't hold out much hope for ... but will see when I perform this 'bullying' routine soon
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2239 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
Trust me - a well told story, with built up tension and that reveal, will stick with someone for years longer than "bang" will. This "bang" ending will destroy any impact this could have immediately, because now the story was just some words you said trick them into getting startled. They'll never question if it was a real story. They're not going to go home and Google that story. They're going to get startled, call you names, then forget about everything other than getting startled. That will be your legacy. Boo.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Fero
View Profile
Loyal user
262 Posts

Profile of Fero
I bought the trick based on the trust I put on all alakazam releases....I will receive soon.
Today I saw the performance. I feel disappointed. Where is the magic in this???
It's almost like to make a ballon explode behind a person... he jumps or scream but still where is the magic???
I see it more as an overpriced child game, nothing more then that.
Anyway I will never buy I trick without watching the performance.
Lesson learned!!
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2239 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
This was my first Alakazam purchase. I took the risk due to their reputation as well as the amount of praise I've seen for Jamie's work.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
3843 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Just watched the vlog. This is terrible. Jim Pace's (setting the person apart from the effect) The Web is much better than this.
The great Gumbini
View Profile
Inner circle
1838 Posts

Profile of The great Gumbini
I've seen a lot worse than this at nightclub magic venues. Its always your choice to decide what you will and will not perform. Plus you don't need to end with the cap you can leave it with the question of how did they see her eyes in a scratched out picture?

Good magic to all,

Eric
MadisonH
View Profile
Inner circle
1330 Posts

Profile of MadisonH
I think people are completely missing the point of this.

First of all, it's down right FREAKY when they look at the images and find all kinds of creepy things they didn't see. It's REALLY freaky when her face is missing when they were just looking at it moments ago. Then when the BANG happens, phew!

This is meant to be a scary storytelling piece. Imagine ghost stories around the fire. It's meant to jump scare them. That's literally the whole reason this was created. It wasn't created to be a magical piece.
JamieD
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1642 Posts

Profile of JamieD
Hey guys,

First of all, I would like to say a massive thank you to everyone who has purchased SCREAM and who are enjoying it! As always, itís incredible to think there are people around the world investing in these crazy thoughts that manifest from my brain!

Secondly, thank you everyone for discussing SCREAM here! Wether your comments be positive or constructive, the time taken really means a lot to me and other magicians and of course, everyone is aloud their own varied opinions! Ill try and answer any questions and hopefully explain how SCREAM came about, why I created it and ultimately why I truly enjoy it and feel passionately about it!

James Fortune, I cinerary hope none of the spectators I have ever performed for think of me as a spiteful, giggling schoolboy! On the contrary, I hope I come across as a very caring, upbeat human being! I certainly donít want to cause anyone any form of upset! I really believe iíve been placed on this earth to make people smile and itís a belief I live by. However, I completely get where youíre coming from. I love your passion, it shows you care about your art and I have a lot of time for that!

Witchdocchris, iím sorry you feel disappointed by SCREAM. All I can ask is for you to try it out on someone. Gauge for yourself whether or not to use the ending and find out just how startling the first revelation of her face missing is! That alone really does freak people out! If you check on the Alakazam site, most of the reviews mention not using the ending!

The Duster, Thank you for your thoughts my friend! I hope once youíve performed it once or twice, your views will change! :-D

Fero, Im sorry you feel disappointed by SCREAM. But I sincerely hope that once it is in your hands and youíve viewed the DVD, it will all come together for you!

Kissadookie, I also love the WEB! It was one of the first tricks I brought many years ago now from Davenports in London! Now of course iíve moved onto My Pet Boris for the more immersive experience, but I love them both dearly! I still think SCREAM has merit with this kind of Ďshockí experience but I guess I am slightly bias!

So, now to hopefully address some of these issues! I am not a full time working magician. I am more of a semi-pro I guess! That being said, I have been gigging since 16. I gig regularly for TV studios, Theatre audiences. On boats, in restaurants, weddings. For high powered corporate executives, millionaires and celebrities. (The same as pretty much every working magician) So whilst I do not claim to know everything, I feel as though I have accumulated enough experience to know the right situations an effect can be used in and how ti utilise it. I have worked hard to achieve what I have in magic and I really do owe a lot of my life to it. I am as passionate as any other magician and I really do, whole heartedly care a great deal about what I create. I tell you all of this because I donít want anyone to think that I donít use these creations in the real world. I really do.

I also have a degree in performance and theatre. I have been around the arts since I was 6. Dedicated my whole life thus far to studying performance and theatre. From script to lighting. From set design to bizzar theatre spaces. Saturday school, performing arts college and University. I have been in the West End in concerts, plays and musicals so you can understand how I have fused my magic with my passion of theatre.

Scream came about whilst I was at University. For our final piece we were asked to trick the audience in someway. Provide an experience that would really mess with an audience. One of my fellow pupils decided to kit the theatre out in fresh grass turf and stage his own funeral. Another decided to devise a live game show in which the audience were invited to eat some truly horrendous things (including baby poo) in order to save their mobile phones from being dropped into a vat of water. My approach was to create a live horror experience. I examined everything that went into a horror film to make it scary. From the plot, to the imagery, suspense and making the audience scream. I literally picked the whole thing apart. In the end I actually ended up performing a fake acupuncture seminar in which the needle went through an audience members arm by Ďaccidentí. Anyway, it never left my mind and before I knew it, I had created the first version of SCREAM.

The original used two sets of photos, two envelopes and one banger. One set of photos showed Susannah and the other didnít. It meant switching the photos in and out and it was a nightmare! It was once I showed Dave Forrest that he helped me streamline it to what you see now. A very simple effect but eerie.

For me, this isnít a ground breaking piece of magic. Its not the newest method out there and its certainly not going to be the stand out piece in your performances. For me, magic isnít about the tricks you are performing but rather, what impact they have on your audience. The experience they are having dictates everything. So when I created SCREAM, for me it was about the experience I am giving to my spectators. Everything about this routine has been meticulously thought out. The plot points out the ending at the brining allowing the effect (from a plot point of view) so circle around and end beautifully. The photos are unsettling and eerie. The envelope is black purely to draw attention to the letter. Much like good lighting will direct your attention to whatever is needed during a theatre show. The caps I use, I tried out countless styles and versions in order to get the most impact from that moment. In-fact, Alakazam sourced and shipped in those caps specifically at my request from Italy. If I didnít care about my effects and what I produce, I promise you I wouldnít go to this length to make it perfect.

During the inception of the trick, I looked at fear and what fear means to us. It is a primitive instinct built into humans and whilst it can be deadly, it can also be enjoyable. From a young age we use fear as a game. Peekaboo. Hide and seek. There is something humans enjoy about being scared. We go to see horror films to be scared! We know they are going to make us jump and that's why we go and see them! That being said, going to do an arachnophobe and performing Jim Paces The Web would be a horrendous thing to do! There is a place and a time for tricks like SCREAM and I have always and will always use it responsibly. To hark back to what I was saying earlier, I am a performing, gigging magician. No I havenít used this at a wedding but yes, I have used this at parties, corporate events and for informal occasions. I use it right at the brining of the evening because inevitably, people hear the bang, there are screams, followed by laughter and instantly, everyone at that event is interested to see what is going on.

Those at the Magic Circle Dealers day in London on Saturday will confirm this! I performed SCREAM about 20-30 times and Dave performed it many more. In that time, everyone was wondering what was going on and we were constantly getting people asking us to perform it on their friends or mums or whatever. It is like a magic chain. One person wanted me to show it to their friend and then their friend wanted me to show it to his friend etc. It really created a buzz and everyone there will affirm, there were no negative vibes in that room. It was all fun and enjoyable! Equally, I have performed this literally hundreds of times and I have never had a negative reaction. I always choose my audience carefully because I am a professional who understand people.

I also tend to use this as part of a routine. So I would normally have the Heís Not Here photo tucked behind the letter. When they pull out the letter, the bang goes off but the pieces of the photo fall onto the table. This means they get the story, they get a real magic moment which is eerie and atmospheric (when her face disappears) Then the bang goes off which creates a break in the tension and creates laughter, and then they notice the pieces of photo on the table and suddenly we are back into the story. It creates a beautiful dynamic!

Anyway, I have babbled on throughout this and I should stop! I guess what I'm trying to say is, no one is wrong here. This is down to interpretation and personal experience. If you donít feel comfortable performing this kind of effect, I appreciate where you are coming from. If you have purchased it and are unsure, please just try it. Just once and see the fun it creates. Those who have already performed it and enjoy it, I really hope you get years of laughter and astonishment from it!

Either way, whatever your views, I wish everyone well and I hope everyone has an amazing halloween! Smile

Jamie Daws
THE DARK SERIES - DECEASED - SCREAM - HE'S NOT HERE - www.JAMIEDAWS.CO.UK
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2239 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
As I said, I am not saying no one should do this sort of thing - jump scares have their place. Just not in anything I do.

I don't know how old you are now so saying you've been gigging since you were 16 means next to nothing to me - But that doesn't mean much to me anyway. I assume you are good at what you do, because I have no reason not to. I am not saying this is not well made, nor am I criticizing you as a person or performer.

However, I can say that I have been scaring people since I was 12, and I am about to turn 35. I have spent over two decades doing haunts, creating scares, writing horror, and studying the psychology of scaring people. I have developed a particularly psychological style of scaring people and it sticks with them. I would never do something that completely dissipates the scare unless the person started having a breakdown (which has happened). Jump scares do that - you can build up the tension, then "boo!" and it's all gone. They laugh, they call you names, they forget about the story you told. Because that story becomes, in their mind, something you said so that you could make them jump.

Personally, I would much rather tell the story that freaks them out and sits with them. Something they may dream about that night. I have been brainstorming and I think I already have a presentation I can use that suits my desires. I am sorry to say, though, I will never use the caps. There is no startle that can be as satisfying to me as a good story and reveal.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

John Nesbit
View Profile
Inner circle
United States
1418 Posts

Profile of John Nesbit
I also like the sublime approach. Deceased is very well adapted to a memorable story that stays with participant. Great effect and a strong subtle multiple revelation, Deceased.
MazingMandy
View Profile
Special user
Has tolerated the trolls here for
677 Posts

Profile of MazingMandy
Quote:
On Oct 27, 2016, James Fortune wrote:
Personally, I don't think Scream has anything to do with dark or bizarre magic. I think it is the worst kind of magic. Tricks like this, Jon Allen's Phobia (which this basically is) and Jim Pace's The Web are simply boys playing silly, unpleasant tricks on people. They give magicians a really bad reputation.

People like Dynamo, Derren Brown and Richard Jones in he UK and many others around the world, are doing everything they can to enhance the art of magic in the public's eyes and then these silly things come out and prove to the great general public that we are a bunch of rather spiteful, giggling schoolboys.

"But it's just a bit of fun" you say. "Yes", I say, "at the expense of the onlooker."

What a shame!

Hear hear!
MazingMandy
View Profile
Special user
Has tolerated the trolls here for
677 Posts

Profile of MazingMandy
Quote:
On Oct 27, 2016, The Duster wrote:
It's to friends [who know you do 'real' magic] - it's for girls [you've just met] on a night out, it's a practical joke type effect

:rolleyes:
James Fortune
View Profile
Special user
UK
509 Posts

Profile of James Fortune
Dear JamieD,

Your post is very interesting and I like your attempted justification of Scream except, I believe, it cannot be justified as "harmless entertainment".

As Duster says "it's a practical joke type effect" and, therefore, has no place in the repertoire of a working magician.

As WitchDocChris says "They're going to get startled, call you names, then forget about everything other than getting startled. That will be your legacy. Boo." What a shame.

In your comments you say "going to do an arachnophobe and performing Jim Paces The Web would be a horrendous thing to do!" Indeed it would. Bullying then?

But how will you know? How will you know in a mix and mingle or table-hopping event or even in a pub, how will you know whether the person you have selected to do The Web to has arachnophobia or not?

And when you select someone to perform Scream on, how will you know if they have ligyrophobia?
Warmest regards
James

James Fortune MIMC
www.comedymagiciansurrey.co.uk
www.bestweddingmagician.co.uk
Nathan Alexander
View Profile
Inner circle
1147 Posts

Profile of Nathan Alexander
It seems like a fun effect, goodness. I consider myself a serious magician. I'd do it. Maybe more around the fire pit with a few drinks in everyone's hands. Maybe just casually, but I'd do it, and I wouldn't worry about it.

Honestly, the worry about this reminds me of all these young kids needing "safe spaces" on campus, and talk about "trigger words".

People's butts these days (all the millennials I know) are getting tighter.

Fine, it's not "high-brow" magic or theater. But I'd do it at a gathering or party I'm invited to and not think twice about it. Champagne pops and people get startled and laugh, people scare others and so on. Again, at the neighborhood ugly sweater party I go to every year, the outdoor fire pit down the street, so on.

I may not put it into rotation at a serious event, others might.

But people will be okay and others won't think I'm not a good magician if I do it.

It looks like fun to me. I get called an idiot often (usually my wife) so I might as well earn it.
reignofsound
View Profile
Inner circle
Glasgow, UK
1441 Posts

Profile of reignofsound
Quote:
On Oct 28, 2016, Nathan Alexander wrote:
It seems like a fun effect, goodness. I consider myself a serious magician. I'd do it. Maybe more around the fire pit with a few drinks in everyone's hands. Maybe just casually, but I'd do it, and I wouldn't worry about it.

Honestly, the worry about this reminds me of all these young kids needing "safe spaces" on campus, and talk about "trigger words".

Fine, it's not "high-brow" magic or theater. But I'd do it at a gathering or party I'm invited to and not think twice about it. Champagne pops and people get startled and laugh, people scare others and so on. Again, at the neighborhood ugly sweater party I go to every year, the outdoor fire pit down the street, so on.

But people will be okay and others won't think I'm not a good magician if I do it.

It looks like fun to me. I get called an idiot often (usually my wife) so I might as well earn it.

Well said.
NeverMind
View Profile
Regular user
Right up there. On the stage.
175 Posts

Profile of NeverMind
Quote:
On Oct 28, 2016, Nathan Alexander wrote:

So basically what you are suggesting is this one is suitable for those magicians who are called idiots often? Smile
It is better to be trusted than liked.
Under promise. Over perform.
Nathan Alexander
View Profile
Inner circle
1147 Posts

Profile of Nathan Alexander
If it's a badge I must wear... Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Ľ Ľ Latest and Greatest? Ľ Ľ Scream by Jamie Daws (9 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.31 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL