The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Filter by Rick Lax (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Stucky
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Batman!
1344 Posts

Profile of Stucky
I'm surprised no one has posted about this yet. Seems a very straight forward coins in glass routine - http://www.theory11.com/tricks/filter-by-rick-lax
Official Thread Killer
BMWGuy
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
2196 Posts

Profile of BMWGuy
Hey Stucky,

I will be the first to post, as I was a reviewer for this.

So I got this a few days ago, and have seen the video as well as practiced the method.

Everything in the routine is very practical, and this is probably the best coins to glass effect I have ever come acress.

You need some practice time in front of a mirror, and to get all actions correct, but this will be killer.

If you liked what you saw in the trailer, you will love this.

Filter is a downloadable video from Theory 11 by Rick Lax

Rick goes over everything you need to accmoplish this.

Rick first goes over the Introduction and welcomes you to Filter, plus talks a bit more about the effect.

He then goes over the Evolution and gives credits to people that have made the coins to glass effect before him, including Daniel Garcia, Geir Bratlie just to name a few.

He goes over the original method and even shows you a video of how he used to perform it.

He then tells you how it evolutionalized from the way it started into what it is now. you really get a sense of the tweaks and thought process that went into this.

Next he takes you into his kitchen and gives you pointers on what types of glasses to use.

Next you are treated to Phase 1 of the routine, followed by Phase 2, and then Phase 3.

All the phases get stronger and stronger from a lay perspectice, and look like the coin is really penetrating the cup.

Rick goes over immense detail to make sure that you get it down perfect in all 3 phases.

There are also Alternate phases that you may choose to use on their own or as an extra piece from the 3 phases, or substituting for one of the phases.

I personally didn't really much care for the alternate phases, as I feel the phases he has setup are great, and are good enough to do in performance, but some may opt for doing one of the alternate phases.

He then proceeds to do the effect with a coffee mug, which is a lot harder to do, but still possible.

You can also do this with a Starbucks cup as well, and that is covered.

At the end, he goes over all the subtleties you should know to sell the effect.

You even get to see him play a bit of piano, and some hoops, and everyhting he states in this section is true, and all fits in to magic.

I like it how you can take other items from life and tie them in to magic to make a point, great job!

All in all, this download is really great, and if you do coins, loved the trailer, need something new, or love coin in glass plot, or simply want to learn something new, this is for you.

After talking to Rick, the magic world is such a small world, as I used to live in Vegas, and Rick is really good friends with 2 really great magicians and friends of mine.

Download: 1 hour instruction 10/10
Quality: 10/10
Teaching: 10/10
Clarity: 10/10
Effect: 10/10

Overall: 9.5/10 The only reason I took off 0.5 points is because I felt the alternate phases werent necessary from my POV; but in reality, some may use them.

Great job Rick!

Keep up the good work man.

Thanks

Alex
PRESET by Alex Alejandro & Dan Harlan now available for a special introductory price!
barts185
View Profile
Inner circle
Can you believe I've been wrong on
1300 Posts

Profile of barts185
How difficult will this be for someone who is not a coin person but is willing to put in the work?
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Stucky, thanks for posting this and BMWguy, thanks for the review.

I watched the demo, but with all the stop/start jerkiness, I didn't see anything that would make me order. If it's brilliant/the best, it was lost on me.

I always click on demos wanting to like them. I'm also forgiving knowing they want to avoid reverse engineering if no gaff/prop is needed. But if it fools/entertains spectators, then a performance with a camera friendly angle to avoid reverse engineering would have been better ( for me ).

I like Theory11, but this didn't do it for me.
BMWGuy
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
2196 Posts

Profile of BMWGuy
Barts,

This is not that hard, if you are willing to practice a bit, you will get it, even if you arent a coin person.

Trust me.

Alex
PRESET by Alex Alejandro & Dan Harlan now available for a special introductory price!
Stucky
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Batman!
1344 Posts

Profile of Stucky
There are a few moments in the trailer that look super visual. If it's no gaffs and just clever sleights I think it's a winner. Impromptu magic for the win!
Official Thread Killer
Alan Rorrison
View Profile
V.I.P.
2477 Posts

Profile of Alan Rorrison
I REALLY like the look of this may need to pick this up
LukeBrady
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of LukeBrady
How anglely is it?
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
2290 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
Rick can weigh in he seems like a pretty decent guy. I bought the download. He presents some alternative but this is more or less a face on trick.
barts185
View Profile
Inner circle
Can you believe I've been wrong on
1300 Posts

Profile of barts185
Alex,

Thanks for the reply. Seems like this is the month for coin through thing effects.

Take Care,
Bart
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
11568 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On 2012-10-27 01:04, barts185 wrote:
How difficult will this be for someone who is not a coin person but is willing to put in the work?

Nothing is hard for someone willing to put in the work know matter how novice you r.
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
Don Dasher
View Profile
Special user
535 Posts

Profile of Don Dasher
This is pretty much my glass through coins handling, but in reverse.

I'm not saying he stole it from me. I'm saying he is performing backwards.

DD
Don Dasher
View Profile
Special user
535 Posts

Profile of Don Dasher
At that price he could at least include a gaff.

DD
blastercast
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of blastercast
I'm really tempted by this one
Looks pretty devious to figure out and Rick Lax + Theory11 means quality
MaXiMoN
View Profile
Regular user
Morocco
117 Posts

Profile of MaXiMoN
Quote:
On 2012-10-26 18:14, BMWGuy wrote:
Hey Stucky,
Everything in the routine is very practical, and this is probably the best coins to glass effect I have ever come acress.
Great job Rick!
Keep up the good work man.
Thanks
Alex

Best coin "TO" glass to me was the CPalm method that I learned from david stone and its a heck of a worker cant fail even if you want to , and angles...no worries at all
BMWGuy "filter" looks like coins "THRU" glass best or not...dont know, never played with that plot
ps : the trailer is weird...and the trick is over priced I think
MagicBrent
View Profile
Inner circle
2140 Posts

Profile of MagicBrent
I wish he'd put out a DVD with multiple effects rather than 20 for each...he's got solid stuff
ricklaxmagic
View Profile
Special user
West Bloomfield, Michigan
678 Posts

Profile of ricklaxmagic
Hey Everyone. Rick Lax here. Great discussion going. Perhaps I can add to it a bit. Here goes:

BMW: So glad you’re digging the trick! I hope everyone who gets Filter is as happy with it as you are.

Barts185: Some phases of FILTER are easier than others, so if you get the download, I’m sure you’ll find some effects/phases at your level. Then again, if you’re willing to put in the work, I think you can get this trick down.

LukeBrady: You can’t perform FILTER with somebody standing behind you. Also, the third phase is angly…which is why I’ve included an alternative third phase that is not angly. I perform that one in public all the time.

MaXiMoN and MagicBrent: I know $20 ain’t cheap. I know that every time I go to my car and fill up the gas tank. $20 is a lot nowadays. But keep in mind what you’re getting for that: I’ve worked on this trick for years. And in the past six months, I worked with great minds like Bizzaro, Calen Morelli, Justin Flom and Jimmy Fingers to perfect the phasing and routining. And then I worked with Theory11 to shoot this thing with the highest-possible production quality. The download’s quality is every bit as good as the trailers. Honestly, it might be the best-produced instant download out there (in terms of production value). So, yes, $20 is a real investment, but I promise you that if you make the investment, you’ll be happy with what you get for it.

-Rick
jerome96114
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of jerome96114
Too bad: It seems T11 only accepts credit cards and no pay pal. Though this effect is great I certainly will not get myself a credit card to buy it.
(At least here in germany everything is normally still payed (and payable) via cash or bank transaction. So I have no credit card.)
Stucky
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Batman!
1344 Posts

Profile of Stucky
Quote:
On 2012-10-28 15:36, MagicBrent wrote:
I wish he'd put out a DVD with multiple effects rather than 20 for each...he's got solid stuff

I wish a lot of people would do this but it's the consumers who let it get this way. Multi-trick DVDs no longer sell as well as one offs. (unless you are a huge name)
Official Thread Killer
ricklaxmagic
View Profile
Special user
West Bloomfield, Michigan
678 Posts

Profile of ricklaxmagic
Yeah, that's what I've been told, too. I've asked about putting out multi-trick DVD, but been told one offs sell better.
But practically, I'm not sure how a multiple trick DVD would work given that it taught me one hour to teach this trick properly...If I were to teach ten....God...that'd go on a long time.

Quote:
On 2012-10-29 01:45, Stucky wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-10-28 15:36, MagicBrent wrote:

I wish a lot of people would do this but it's the consumers who let it get this way. Multi-trick DVDs no longer sell as well as one offs. (unless you are a huge name)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Filter by Rick Lax (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL