The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Performing in hotels? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Mr Timothy Gray
View Profile
Veteran user
Rue d'Auseil
362 Posts

Profile of Mr Timothy Gray
Does anyone really do this anymore? Is there a culture to have a weekly mentalism show at the local Hilton or DoubleTree? I don't know. It's ripe in the writings of Robert Nelson and William Larsen, but times have changed.

What are your thoughts?
Yr. Obdt. Svt.,
Mr Timothy Gray

Specializing in the Occult Arts of Fortune Telling, Magic & Mediumship; Est. 1986
C.J.
View Profile
Inner circle
There's a lotta rambling in my
2367 Posts

Profile of C.J.
Nightclub acts, lounge singers, etc, all seem to be pretty absent in today's world. Functions seem to be almost exclusively private affairs. I blame TV - it's changed society's view of what constitutes an evening's entertainment.
Connor Jacobs - The Thought Sculptor
Mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
Be fondly remembered.
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan's Beautiful Sunrise Side
2724 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
I am not a mentalist (though I am looking to add some to my act--which is why I am here), but I would think a perfect venue would be sales conventions, sales meetings, etc.

It allows you to travel (most are held in pretty exotic locales), and you can even tie your act into a brief talk on sales and psychology if you want. The major companies pay major money, as I understand!

I had even thought of doing something along these lines with my magic act..."The Magic of Selling" or some such thing.
Mike Maturen
World of Wonder Entertainment
The Magic and Mayhem of Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

AUTHOR OF "A NEW DAWN--Weekly Wisdom From Everyday Life"

member: International Magician's Society
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9422 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
You are right, tines have changed and this type of performance is out of favor. Hotels aren't interested in having or offering entertainment like they once used to, today they are only interested in renting banquet and meeting rooms, and of course filling hotel rooms. The only real way this works nowdays is to rent a banquet room and produce your own shows. Many risks involved with this, but with extreme hard work and persistence (and a deep pocketbook) it can lead to longevity and a long run if you can whether the road until it turns the corner.

Christian & Katalina have done well in Indy at the Hilton doing this, and seem to have pretty decent support from the hotel, which is key.

If you are even thinking of attempting it make sure you have the money to invest to sustain and promote heavily, and don't count on the hotel to assist you in the promotional efforts other than possible a few in-house ad perks.

Gone are the days when the hospitality industry looked at live entertainment as something to offer and keep business travelers in the property. Even then in those days it was hard to do a show as business men would always be trying to talk and even conduct after hours business while the performer was trying to entertain. Those were though days. Even hotels being a main venue for DJs and comedy nights are long gone for the most part. Yes, times have changed.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
11558 Posts

Profile of John C
I think it's up to each individual to make it happen. Create the venue, bring mentalism/magic back to these places.
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
Michael_MacDonald
View Profile
1964 - 2016
Washington
2034 Posts

Profile of Michael_MacDonald
I guess it depends on the area because where I am its ripe for the picking
RichardShure
View Profile
Veteran user
344 Posts

Profile of RichardShure
There are a few shows out there that are pushing the borders in this type of venue.

Mindpro mentioned Christian and Katalina who perform a mentalism show. Most people in our world (mentalist) have not heard of them but they have been extremely successful at this type of venue. I have seen their show and it rocked. The night I was there, they recieved a standing ovation. However, what also impressed me was the set up of the room they are in, their ticket office, and advertising/marketing that was all around. It was very professionally done. It made me realize you are not going to replicate what they have done with a briefcase and a couple of envelopes.

After the show I talked with them breifly. They were very nice and encouraging however, it was obvious that they had sunk some serious money in their show/business. I might be somewhat jaded as I have their book "Protoplasm" and was lucky enough to recieve his work on Postive/Negative which I have been using ever since. I believe it's called Parallax.

Another show that I have seen that seems to be doing very well is Neil Tobin's "Supernatural" in Chicago. It's an eerie ghost show done in the basement of a night club. It had a creep factor to it and he was very nice as I talked with him for quite a while after his show. He has been doing it for years.

I have been to a couple of others but they were not so impressive...so there are things happening out there...that we here in the Café just don't hear about.
Shrubsole
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
2443 Posts

Profile of Shrubsole
Many years ago I use to have a weekly gig at a local nice but not a big famous chain hotel.
It used to have coach parties come down for a week of two and so I had two different acts if they were staying another week. If not, it was the same thing week after week to a totally different audience.

Nowadays it would bore me senseless but is was a good training ground and regular work. A great place to try things out where it really didn't matter that much. I learnt my trade there so it's wasn't a waste of time in any way, it's just that I have moved on from that sort of thing.
Winner of the Dumbringer Award for total incompetence. (All years)
Shrubsole
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
2443 Posts

Profile of Shrubsole
Wrong forum!
Winner of the Dumbringer Award for total incompetence. (All years)
Mr Timothy Gray
View Profile
Veteran user
Rue d'Auseil
362 Posts

Given the references I made in my original post, I'd say it's the correct forum. And, especially, as mental acts were preiminent in hotel entertainment at one time.
Yr. Obdt. Svt.,
Mr Timothy Gray

Specializing in the Occult Arts of Fortune Telling, Magic & Mediumship; Est. 1986
Mr Timothy Gray
View Profile
Veteran user
Rue d'Auseil
362 Posts

Quote:
On 2012-10-28 13:19, RichardShure wrote:

I have been to a couple of others but they were not so impressive...so there are things happening out there...that we here in the Café just don't hear about.

And why do you think that is? Consideration for the necessary scope for advertisement, perhaps?
Yr. Obdt. Svt.,
Mr Timothy Gray

RCP
View Profile
Inner circle
Two Minnie's in The Hell's Half Acre, The Republic of Texas
2107 Posts

Profile of RCP
I like the idea Timothy. I would not pick Motel Six or Holiday Inn but an old boutique hotel with maybe a haunted past. A Bed and Breakfast maybe? Steve Cohen seems to be doing ok.
http://www.chambermagic.com/
Rocketeer
View Profile
Special user
Westchester, NY
961 Posts

Profile of Rocketeer
Bill Malone had a long run at the famous Breakers hotel in Palm Beach. Mick Ayres worked (still works?) at the Disney Vacation Club resort on Hilton Head Island. So working steady at a hotel isn't utterly impossible. Just exceedingly rare these days.
I'm selling my hardcover autographed limited edition copy of Jerome Finley's "Thought Veil"

PM me for info.
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9422 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Are those mentalism shows or magic shows though? Since the OP posted in this forum I thought it was mentalism shows of which he was speaking here? I also think there is a difference from doing a show in a tourist area, as opposed just to a typical local hotel venue catering to business. Hotels in tourist areas are more acceptant of this type of thing either as an added amenity or as an additional in-house source of revenue. These are usually more seasonal though. I have done both, and each have their own struggles, as as mentioned above, require a commitment and financial backing and support.

Usually when you hear about these type f shows they are more the exception than the rule. Then again, if it were easy everybody would be doing them (but that would lead to other scenarios).
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
11558 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On 2012-10-28 19:53, Rocketeer wrote:
Bill Malone had a long run at the famous Breakers hotel in Palm Beach. Mick Ayres worked (still works?) at the Disney Vacation Club resort on Hilton Head Island. So working steady at a hotel isn't utterly impossible. Just exceedingly rare these days.

Actually it was at the Boca Raton hotel at the Bill Malone Magic Bar. Not mental just walkaround magic. Good stuff.
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
Rocketeer
View Profile
Special user
Westchester, NY
961 Posts

Profile of Rocketeer
Actually Malones's played both. From the Sun-Sentinel: http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/1994-11......business

"Malone, whose specialties are sleight-of-hand and card tricks, is in almost constant demand for conventions and business and trade shows. When he isn't doing those, he is the resident entertainer at the Boca Raton Resort and Club and The Breakers of Palm Beach"

It's true he's a card man but I don't believe it was walkaround.

And while Mick Ayres does use cards, all of the former acts he sells at http://mickayreswares.com/the_act_series have strong mentalism themes.

Oh and speaking of magic acts, Steve Cohen has been working at the Waldorf-Astoria in NYC for years. See http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/07/nyregi......all&_r=0

I could be wrong, but I don't think it would be intrinsically more difficult to sell a hotel on a mentalism act rather than a magic act. In fact, I think it might be slightly less difficult. But still difficult.
I'm selling my hardcover autographed limited edition copy of Jerome Finley's "Thought Veil"

PM me for info.
meco
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of meco
If the hotel has a banquet hall and its not filled every night of the week, they are leaving money on the table by not having a mentalism show there. If you can promote your show well enough you don't need to "sell" them on anything.
RichardShure
View Profile
Veteran user
344 Posts

Profile of RichardShure
Quote:
On 2012-10-28 18:34, Mr Timothy Gray wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-10-28 13:19, RichardShure wrote:

And why do you think that is? Consideration for the necessary scope for advertisement, perhaps?

I don't want to go out of my way to bash any performer(s), because just the fact that they have a running show is a big accomplishment. However, there were some that were nothing more than Effect after effect after effect. The shows was dreadfully boring. Just because you can fool me or show me you have mind power does not make it entertaining. Also after seeing many of these types of shows . . . you start to notice a difference between them. Some are professionally produced...others.... its just some guy [sic] with a briefcase full of envelopes and billets.
eb02
View Profile
Special user
648 Posts

Profile of eb02
It is comment in Israel especially on holidays and summer time and if there is a big group at the hotel.
Couple of years ago I had a mentalist show, on Friday night every second week.
This show was for the guest of the hotel.
Eran Blizovsky
www.magic4business.net
Mick Ayres
View Profile
Special user
Hilton Head Island
990 Posts

Profile of Mick Ayres
Quote:
On 2012-10-28 19:53, Rocketeer wrote:

It is thirteen years now and I'm still performing mentalism, music and tales for Disney at their resort on Hilton Head Island. It is indeed a wonderful contract, but please know I spent decades preparing for it. Steve Cohen and Christian Painter did the same thing for their respective hotels.

Thank you very much, Rocketeer, for the warm comments about my Act-Series books.

Best,
Mick
THE FIVE OBLIGATIONS OF CONJURING: Study. Practice. Script. Rehearse. Perform. Drop one and you're done.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Performing in hotels? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.26 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL