We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » AES GOETIA (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
Lucien Astor
View Profile
Special user
Sunken R'lyeh
658 Posts

Profile of Lucien Astor
Thanks for the kind words Prof. I was lucky enough to do some undergrad studies with the printmaker Keith Howard who pioneered ferric etching and the non-toxic printmaking movement (non-toxic is really a misnomer, it should be called less-toxic printmaking!) eons ago.

Looking forward to your project! It is inspiring to see the old-school Andruzzi-inspired bizarre magic ethos of goetia and demonology being married to the contemporary advances in prop making and performing methodologies! Hope to see some pictures soon.

Cheers!
http://www.mediumarts.ca: Psychic Entertainment & Contemporary Art
Vic Nadata
View Profile
Special user
Charlotte, NC
935 Posts

Profile of Vic Nadata
While I have not seen the final piece, I have sat with PROF BC and discussed his idea. Let me tell you that it is wonderful. I cannot wait to see the final product. You will look at it and say to yourself "How on earth does this work?" but it does. Everything stated above is true. This is going to be amazing.
lucavolpe
View Profile
Inner circle
Italy - London
3161 Posts

Profile of lucavolpe
PROF BC and DAN BAINES...wow...this will be a work of art!
MagiChrisMitch
View Profile
Special user
786 Posts

Profile of MagiChrisMitch
Sorry kids no candy this year, needed something much more important for my sweet tooth!
Brother Dæmonicus
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of Brother Dæmonicus
This is going to get mighty confusing...

Stephen Ward released an effect by the name of 'Ars Goetia' about three months back.

Next month, he is releasing his new effect, 'Ars Paulina'.

Might be worthwhile having a chinwag with him, and seeing if you can come up with distinguishing names, between you?

Yours in Darkness, Brother Dæmonicus
Brother Dæmonicus is expecting you...
<BR>
<BR>www.daemonic-dreams.co.uk
S.WARD
View Profile
Loyal user
United Kingdom
251 Posts

Profile of S.WARD
No, they are totally different! No one will confuse mine with the fantastic work the prof produces.
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10577 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
This field is so specialized and small - its not hard to keep track of these things Smile

And if confused - get them all!!!!! Let the Darkness sort them out
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Brother Dæmonicus
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of Brother Dæmonicus
Quote:
On 2012-10-30 09:07, S.WARD wrote:
No, they are totally different! No one will confuse mine with the fantastic work the prof produces.

I wasn't suggesting the effects were similar, just the names. In discussion, it will be easily to get them muddled, won't it?
Brother Dæmonicus is expecting you...
<BR>
<BR>www.daemonic-dreams.co.uk
S.WARD
View Profile
Loyal user
United Kingdom
251 Posts

Profile of S.WARD
That is me wording things wrong, sorry brother D!
PROF BC
View Profile
Inner circle
1366 Posts

Profile of PROF BC
Br. Daemonicus:
I agree with Stephen. I should hope we're all savvy enough to navigate the difference between AES (pronounced 'ice') and ARS (which Americans tend to pronounce in the most humorous way!) GOETIA (pronounced GO-80-AH--though I have an friend that will pronounce it to sound like Geisha).

Besides, one need only write 'Stephen Ward's brilliant work' or 'Prof BC's prop' and all potential confusion vanishes.

Regards,
BC (somewhere around etching #30, have lost count)

[edit] Just counted, only on #24--but that's half of them!
Phasmologist
PROF BC
View Profile
Inner circle
1366 Posts

Profile of PROF BC
Success! The last one (#48) just went into the etching tank. It will be finished in and hour and a quarter and come out at five minutes to midnight, so all were indeed completed between the rise of the full moon and the end of Hallowe'en. I'm exhausted!

Now, I still have the clean-up and aging to do on the brasses, then all the wood working (cutting, routering, hand rubbing with tung oil & distressing) then the burning and branding with a hand-forged branding iron. I think it will be ready to release no sooner than late November. I will keep you informed (and give a full description of the effect) when it is nearing completion.

Thank you for your interest in this phase of the project. Just wanted to share a bit of ritual as AES GOETIA is in preparation.

Hope you've had a Happy Hallowe'en! Thoughts & prayer are with our brothers and sisters in the path of Sandy.

Prof BC
Phasmologist
Harlequin
View Profile
Special user
Melbourne, Australia
688 Posts

Profile of Harlequin
I'm imagining Prof BC creating these in a cross between a medieval blacksmiths and a mad scientists laboratory. While wearing a leather apron adorned with occult symbols. Am I close to the mark? I'm pretty sure there are ghostly screams as parts are removed from the etching tank too. Smile
necroloid
View Profile
Special user
Kadar knows all and sees all of my
918 Posts

Profile of necroloid
Whew!! Glad to see I have some time to put some stuff up on ebay for this.
PROF BC
View Profile
Inner circle
1366 Posts

Profile of PROF BC
Quote:
On 2012-11-01 00:03, Harlequin wrote:
I'm imagining Prof BC creating these in a cross between a medieval blacksmith's and a mad scientist's laboratory. While wearing a leather apron adorned with occult symbols. Am I close to the mark? I'm pretty sure there are ghostly screams as parts are removed from the etching tank too. Smile

Almost precisely right (apart from Igor--and he's really cheesed that you didn't mention him!), but you nailed the ghostly screams bit perfectly--awfully glad to be past those, I can tell you.

BC
Phasmologist
minty
View Profile
Elite user
Rugby, Warwickshire
422 Posts

Profile of minty
Quote:
On 2012-11-01 11:11, PROF BC wrote:
Almost precisely right (apart from Igor--and he's really cheesed that you didn't mention him!)

What a fabulous name for a cat.

I'm really looking forward to this. It sounds as though it could tie in with GH*ST brilliantly.

Do you think it may be released before the end of the year? I appreciate there's a huge amount of work involved.
PROF BC
View Profile
Inner circle
1366 Posts

Profile of PROF BC
. . . from the Performance Manual:

According to the legend, the fearful monks hid Brother Agonia’s demon trap and forbid any of their number to divulge its location or so much as touch the place where it lay concealed—and the story passed into legend, forgotten by most and scarce believed by the few who knew of it.

The chapel of St. Michael is located on a hill above a village within the shadow of the Pyrenees. It is famed for its raftered roof and ornate rood screen depicting the story of Christ in a series of 32 medallions:

(Rood Screen of the Chapel of St. Michael, circa 1932, before the discovery of its hidden cache (note 14 of the 32 famed medallions are showing)(image courtesy of the J. Paul Getty collection))

During restoration in 1957, workers discovered that the 30th medallion, depicting Christ breaking down the gates of Hell, was in fact mounted in a detachable circlet, or plug, of wood so cunningly concealed as to look like the ornamentation of the rest of the screen.

Behind this circlet, workers found a tripartite disc of brass with the Seal of Solomon chaining together 13 demonic images. News broke around the world that the ‘Agonia Cryptogram’ had been discovered.

Within a week, such calamity struck both the town and chapel that the holy men thought it wise to remove the piece from its location. They wrapped it in a holy cloth, tied it in a bag, and sent it away with one of the workers. Some stories contend that the chapel merely sold it to a private collector. In either case, it passed into the hands of collectors who have valued it more for its possible connection with the legend than its intrinsic artistic or occult merit.

And thus has the AES GOETIA (‘demons in brass’) passed into the modern world.

‘For behold,’ saith the evil One, ‘I come amongst you not as a prince upon a black steed but in form mild and gentle that you should not know me.’

The first batch of the AES GOETIA is complete as of about an hour ago. I will be posting some to London tomorrow (to Lebanon Circle Magic) and keeping stock in the states to fulfill North American orders. A total of 48 will be made and no more after that, ever. I hope to have photographs of the prop up later today along with a full description of the effect.

(If someone would PM me about how to post photographs on the Café, I'd be much obliged.)

Regards,
Professor BC
Phasmologist
David Eichler
View Profile
Grammar Host
Durham, ME
1715 Posts

Profile of David Eichler
Awesome news!!
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10577 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Tears of joy
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
PROF BC
View Profile
Inner circle
1366 Posts

Profile of PROF BC
AES GOETIA:

The Effect:
Thirteen Demons (all images are taken from Medieval & Renaissance sources) etched on a tripartite brass disk (broken into three jagged pieces to honour the Trinity). This disk (6" round & HEAVY) is hidden behind a cherry wood decoration from an old church's rood screen (on the face of this wooden plaque is another brass medallion 2" round depicting a Medieval image of Christ breaking down the gates of Hell).

The three phases: Front (with medallion), Back (with tripartite disc), Back (Demon Trap behind Tripartite disc). The wooden 'plates' pictured are each 7.25 inches (18.4cm) round.

The front of the AES GOETIA

Detail of the front medallion: Christ breaking down the gates of Hell.

You or your spec count the demons. Clearly there are 13.

The 13 demons on the Tripartite disc.

You tell about how Solomon once trapped 72 demons in brass and of the misguided Christian monk who later tried to repeat this miracle. He reached 13 before something went terribly wrong. You or your spec carefully tip out the 6" tripartite brass disk from its cherry wood plate to display that there is a Demon Trap burned into the wood behind it.

The Demon Trap: hand-branded into the cherry wood with a branding iron.

The brass disk is turned face up again, the demons counted again. Still 13. Whew! no manifestation. But wait. Before your very eyes the etched pieces seem to change. Just a flicker, perhaps, or a trick of the eye or the dicky lighting. You or the spec counts again and, no, there are now ONLY 12 demons deeply etched onto the brass plates. Count as often as you like. There are now only 12. One has escaped!

Everything happens in the plainest of views. No 'moves', no sleights, nothing tricky. The spec can actually do absolutely all of the handling. No angle issues, either. Everything is just what it appears to be except ONE DEMON VANISHES quite impossibly from the face of an etched brass plate.

Now I'm going to tell you how it works because I honestly believe this is one effect people will be even more likely to want when they know how it works (unlike so many tricks that we buy just to learn the secret). Indeed, this 'secret' is so good it sells itself.

If you know the old Vanishing Leprechaun puzzle (viz. http://blocs.xtec.cat/eliesmates/?tag=paradoxa), you know how deceptive this effect is--how utterly unfathomable. ('Seeing' the etching move is, of course, a bit of audience control and psychological suggestion after you miscount the 12 demons as 13.) Unlike the leprechaun puzzle, however, (which works when you openly switch around the three cards) AES GOETIA includes a extraordinarily subtle & convincing handling that even the spec can do--one so utterly open and logical that it completely covers the switching of pieces. It will even fool you when it happens.

[You have NO IDEA how difficult it was to make this linear leprechaun effect work in a circle, but work it certainly does!]

Now, onto performance: once the demon escapes, the room can suddenly erupt in demonic activity (using other items such as spirit bells, ghost touch, Ouija boards, &c.)--or you can 'enslave' the released demon to do your bidding in a seance. Or the AES GOETIA may be presented as an artifact collected by M.R. James himself during his church explorations and made part of your GH*ST presentation (with thanks to Bruce Ballon for this idea!)

Not only is this a strong opening to your act or routine. It also provides you with a sure-fire closing. A quick exorcism, and the etched figures can be counted again. The 13th demon has again been trapped and, once more, all is well.

Or this can be a super one-off: just place it on display in your office and wait for someone to admire it. Tell your story and demonstrate the miracle.

It can also work in 'reverse' if you wish. You may start with 12 demons and 'trap' a 13th in the course of your routine.

The strongest part of all is that the piece is COMPLETELY self working. Nothing to hide. No magnets, threads, springs, batteries, r/c, &c.--just the old-school brass and cherry wood. It can last for decades if not centuries.

What they see is what they get. Everything is completely examinable. I sent a working paper model to Dan months ago with written instructions on turning it out and recounting the demons, and he was baffled by how 13 demons became 12 (even after examining it for a while)--and I, the 'performer', was 5,000 miles away at the time. So it really can happen in your spectator's hands. Very convincing effect.

The wood is solid cherry, age-accelerated (not stained or coloured at all; I'm using potassium dichromate to oxidize the wood in imitation of actual UV darkening that has occurred over centuries) and then hand-rubbed with tung oil to imitate a piece of an old rood screen centuries old. Dark, black-red cherry wood, deeply stained with age wrapped around etched, aged brass--spectacular.

Oh, and the area around the actual Demon Trap (which is burned in with a branding iron) is actually fire-burnt to look like the brass has heated it over the years (with hell's flames) as the demons have attempted (unsuccessfully) to escape.

Your AES GOETIA will arrive wrapped in antique velvet (from the church, perhaps?) tied with jute string and tucked up in its own burlap bag; also included will be two religious medals (for protection and exorcism), an etched brass Celtic cross that is in fact your numbered 'certificate of authenticity' (rather than the usual paper one), and a performance manual, of course--complete with old photographs of the church and rood screen depicting this decoration (that may be copied and shown during performance).

The old church rood screen.

AES GOETIA is complete. Shipping will begin this week (as soon as Dan can get a link up on Lebanon Circle Magic's site). You may check by clicking on the "Prof BC Presents" banner at the top of Spooky.

Only 48 have been made. I will make no more, nor will I license or allow others to be made. There will be only 48 in the world, ever.

My best to you,
Professor BC
Phasmologist
Vic Nadata
View Profile
Special user
Charlotte, NC
935 Posts

Profile of Vic Nadata
FANTASTIC!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » AES GOETIA (7 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL