We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Which was that masked clipboard (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Samuel Catoe
View Profile
Inner circle
South Carolina
1256 Posts

Profile of Samuel Catoe
Could any of you who saw the Criss Angel special on Halloween night tell me which clipboard he used (if it is a marketed product). Don't tell me he used a regular clipboard!! PLEASE don't say that!

Samuel
Author of Illusions of Influence, a treatise on Equivoque.
PM me for details and availability.
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6285 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Personally, I hate to tell you, but what he did could be done with a normal clipboard... and hint: a camera crew.
Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
owenscott
View Profile
Regular user
168 Posts

Profile of owenscott
And ; Or .... a tall stooge right behind the person writing on the clip board.
Patrick Redford
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1737 Posts

Profile of Patrick Redford
Or even with no one else in the room
Samuel Catoe
View Profile
Inner circle
South Carolina
1256 Posts

Profile of Samuel Catoe
He could also let the sun SHINE in. I am aware that there are ways to do this with a regular board. What I would like to do is perform this style of effect anytime, anywhere with little to no prep. I am not against prep but feel it would lessen the effect.

Samuel
owenscott
View Profile
Regular user
168 Posts

Profile of owenscott
Honestly, tell me exactly what he did. All I saw was a person who already had a clipboard in their hand, with a pic already drawn on it, and it just showed angel divine it. There could be a whole lot of stuff done that we didn't see. If you want a "regular" clipboard check out you nearest drug / stationary store.
I thought the show was very poor because it doesn't show all of the trick (the selection of particapant, the explanation of the effect if any, the patter, the revalation) What is done between camera shots, you can tell some time has elapsed, is unknown.
Patrick Redford
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1737 Posts

Profile of Patrick Redford
It can be done just as shown with out a gimmick.
It could be done anywhere with just chris and that one other person whos mind he's reading.
It could even be done with his back turned.
Samuel Catoe
View Profile
Inner circle
South Carolina
1256 Posts

Profile of Samuel Catoe
George,
In order to learn how to perform this type of effect (I want to add a drawing dupe to my program), where do I look? I would like to perform without a gimmick if possible.

Samuel
mdspark
View Profile
Special user
783 Posts

Profile of mdspark
Owenscott,

I couldn't AGREE WITH YOU MORE! Poor show..anyone can do miracles with camera editing...that shows the skill of the video editor NOT the magician. One David Blaine is enough! Poor taste, tacky....a 'SLUM' approach to the art of magic.

I noticed the obvious absence of a camera trickery disclaimer in the show..hummmmmmm....Same old stuff..just done with 'goth make-up'... that is minus the "ticks" done with slick editing and camera trickery..which is not to be confused with the art of Magic....
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3168 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
Samuel, Good question, Im interested too. So far no-one has answered your question. We know it can be done with a regular clipboard. The question is, is there a gimmicked board out there that is worth looking in to.

Thanks
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
Rowdymagi5,

Yes, there are few great gimmicked clipboards out there. My favorite is John Riggs' Brown Hornet. Very Cool!! You can pretty much pass it out for examination and MOST people won't find the gimmick.

Mark
What would Wavy do?
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3168 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
Thanks Mark, I will have to check into that one!
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6285 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Riggs makes one of the best boards out there and check out his Skeeters for a small stickie not board that does the job, too.
However, you will not be able to duplicate the exact look of what was shown on the Angel special... remember, it's TV, not real life.
Greg
Samuel Catoe
View Profile
Inner circle
South Carolina
1256 Posts

Profile of Samuel Catoe
Now THAT was the kind of answer I was looking for. Thanks Greg. I figured it could not be done without some magic work, but I thought it was worth asking. Just saying it can be done with a regular board goes no closer to answering the question of whether there exists a board that can gain a real time dup; it just makes me feel that perhaps you may think I am too new to the field to be trusted with something so valued. Once more Greg, Thank you for your answer.

Samuel
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6285 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
By the way, Samuel, John's boards are great for getting preshow work done, but you can do a quick peek in the heat of the moment. You could actually duplicate what was seen on the Criss show (minus the extra spectators) by using a Buma board. I believe Steven's sells them and once you get it you'll see what I mean. Mind you, it will take audience management on your part so they don't look at the board in a certain way, but you will be able to see what they are drawing or writing as they do it.
Greg
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Which was that masked clipboard (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL