The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Easy Thumb Ties (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Missing_Link
View Profile
Elite user
442 Posts

Profile of Missing_Link
Is the book on Easy Thumb Ties (not sure of exact title) by David de Val any good? Are the routines convincing. I'm particularly interested in the taped-together thumbs routine.

Slainte

ML
Smile
thinkofacard
View Profile
Regular user
UK
178 Posts

Profile of thinkofacard
I have this book (Easy Thumb-Tie Book) and was a bit disappointed as neither of the routines are impromptu.Smile
They take a bit of preparation (including the taped together thumbs) so are really only suitable for stage or parlour presentation, which is fine if that's your department.
It's based (as most things are!) on the most simple of principles but the end result is well worth it. It looks totally mad & convincing.
If you really want to do it, give it a go, it's worth a fiver! Smile
If you can't stand the blood, get out of the slaughterhouse!
Missing_Link
View Profile
Elite user
442 Posts

Profile of Missing_Link
Cheers - it is for stage presentation so that suits me fine.

Slainte

ML
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5348 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Magic Inc. in Chicago sells Jay Marshell’s “The Jasperneese Thumb Tie” Jay was the "Great Jasper" in his youth (if you can imagine Jay ever being young!). The tie is great! It is technically easy and lends itself to impromptu, close-up or parlor/stage venues. It is done with Pipe Cleaners (bought at craft stores now that smoking pipes is not as in the 40’s). However, wire “Twist Ties” work just as well, ask Mack King who does a twist tie thumb tie routine! The little booklet is still in print and is very cheap.

I also like and perform Jim Ryan’s thumb tie. It was published over ten years ago in an edition of the Society of American Magicians, magazine “MUM”. A short length of shoelace or rope, a handkerchief and viola’ you have a nice and funny (if you play it that way) routine.

Both of these methods and routines are super and will find a place in a working magician’s repertory. Both are technically easy to execute.

I probably could give you several other routines that are in my notes, but I don’t perform them regularly and believe the two I mentioned are really all you will ever need.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
Hi,
I found Roy Roths booklet
Leroy's comedy thumb tie to be good

I bought it from roy with 2 brass rings and some rope for £5.00 its great and no gimmicks just a bit of rope!

Phillip
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
1832 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Years ago I purchased Irv Weiner's RED TAPE thumb tie from Hank Lee.
Great effect and you can make up the gimmick almost impromptu if you need to . Just that and a roll of red electrical tape (it could be any color tape, but the the title RED TAPE has more pizazz ).

I love RED TAPE . Does anyone still market it ? Last I checked Hank Lee doesn't have it anymore. Irv died a few years ago and the rights to his effects may have gone to someone who has no particular interest in marketing them. His stuff seems to have just disappeared from the magical marketplace.

Eugene Burger has this to say about Irv Weiner's RED TAPE:

Quote:
And then there was his Thumb Tie -- called the "Red Tape Thumb Tie" -- which is probably one of the two best and most practical
methods ever devised for this effect (the other, in my opinion, is Jay Marshall's "Jaspernese Thumb Tie" ) .

Here's a link to the short tribute article that Eugene wrote about Irv Weiner :

http://www.yourmagic.com/MagicBeard/arti......b00.html

Maybe the RED TAPE routine is published in a book somewhere ? Anyone know ?
thinkofacard
View Profile
Regular user
UK
178 Posts

Profile of thinkofacard
Hey Mumblepeas. Thanks for the tip on the Jaspernese Thumb Tie. I've just got it and it's perfect for my impromptu needs. I think it's the best I've seen. Very cunning! Smile
Cheers!!!
If you can't stand the blood, get out of the slaughterhouse!
DonB!
View Profile
Regular user
Minnesota
133 Posts

Profile of DonB!
Abbott's also sells a thumb tie routine, utilizing the round gimmick mentioned in 16 Thumb Tie Gems booklet. I believe the price is about $15.00.

DonB!
DonB!
Non-stop laughter. Eternal Impact.
niva
View Profile
Inner circle
Malta (Europe)
2969 Posts

Profile of niva
Quote:
On 2002-05-17 06:18, Harry Murphy wrote:
Magic Inc. in Chicago sells Jay Marshell’s “The Jasperneese Thumb Tie” Jay was the "Great Jasper" in his youth (if you can imagine Jay ever being young!). The tie is great! It is technically easy and lends itself to impromptu, close-up or parlor/stage venues. It is done with Pipe Cleaners (bought at craft stores now that smoking pipes is not as in the 40’s). However, wire “Twist Ties” work just as well, ask Mack King who does a twist tie thumb tie routine! The little booklet is still in print and is very cheap.

Is this the one in Tarbell?
Yours,

Ivan
Mac_Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
Miami, FL
1165 Posts

Profile of Mac_Stone
I've already got the Jaspernese booklet and I really like it, but I'm having trouble actually coming up with a routine or a pratical way to use it. I want a comedy routine like Mac King as apposed to a 'Watch me pass my teid-up hands throught this solid hoop' kind of routine, are there any books out there that could do me any good?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Easy Thumb Ties (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL