The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » I'm A Dummy, HELP ME (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Peter McMillan
View Profile
Elite user
St. George, Utah
497 Posts

Profile of Peter McMillan
I admit it, I need to have a picture painted for me.

I have been involved with magic since 1968.

I have, and perform, The Spirit Lamp and Book of Answers with my own script I wrote from scratch.

I have built, and perform, standard effects like SC, Linking Rings, Tables, C&B, Chop Chop Cup, coins, cards, and so on.

BUT I AM STUMPED, when it comes to performing effects like Outlaw Effects Sanctum 4 - Wonder Tour (which I purchased a year ago).
When I read posts about new offerings like SHUTTERBUG, I think I am really missing the boat, but I have never seen a performance or video of this kind of magic and am LOST as to how to go about it. Use of the props, use of audience, staging.

I can read Hugard's Royal Road, or Hoffmann's Modern Magic to learn the mechanics of the pass, then hob knob with fellow wizards to learn how to finesse the move. How do I learn to do the same with the mechanics of Luna, Shutterbug, or Wonder Tour.

Since I am in south west Utah, 2 hours north of LV and 5 hours south of SLC, is there a performance on video I can buy to study from? What other course of study can I pursue to gain knowledge in this field?

I beseech my fellow Bizarrists, take pity and paint me a picture.

Yr. Obt. Svt. in the Art
PS: This is my 50th post. Yeah! Crypt, here I come!
Spiritus Dictum Artifacts ~ Tools of the Craft for Serious Workers http://petemcmillan.wixsite.com/sd-artifacts/artifacts
~
www.SantaPeteUtah.com
Michael_MacDonald
View Profile
1964 - 2016
Washington
2034 Posts

Profile of Michael_MacDonald
Wonder tour is based of leading and controlling your audience. it is also part of the lun@ rose set. it is also one of the hardest to learn without having started with s@nctum 3 and lunaria. it uses psychological subtitles. if you would like to take this down stairs I will give you more of a lay out. they play strong once you have the basics down.
Peter McMillan
View Profile
Elite user
St. George, Utah
497 Posts

I appreciate your offer Michael. Now or would you like to set a time better suited to your schedule.
Spiritus Dictum Artifacts ~ Tools of the Craft for Serious Workers http://petemcmillan.wixsite.com/sd-artifacts/artifacts
~
www.SantaPeteUtah.com
Peter McMillan
View Profile
Elite user
St. George, Utah
497 Posts

Tis a bit late now, will catch up with you later Michael.
~
www.SantaPeteUtah.com
Al Desmond
View Profile
Inner circle
Secret Mountain Lair in Conifer, Co
1511 Posts

Profile of Al Desmond
I don't know if this will help... but think "theatre," think "impromptu," consider how a jazz musician lays down 16 bars of music and then starts elaborating on the musical motif. Think of your audience as fellow travelers on an adventure, you will start them out, then you will guide them to continue building on your foundation. Bizarre magic is storytelling where your spectators become part of the story. From Wiki...

"Bizarre Magic, or Bizarre Magick, is a branch of stage magic, or conjuring, like stage illusions, sleight of hand, or children's magic. The major difference is that bizarre magic uses storytelling and word play to a much greater degree, and less emphasis is placed on the manual dexterity of the performer or the complexity of his equipment.[1] The experience is intended to be more akin to small, intimate theater than a conventional magic show."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bizarre_magic
Stephen Young
View Profile
Inner circle
Thought Illusions
3933 Posts

Profile of Stephen Young
Peter.

If you need help then Michael is your man.
He has helped me immensely.
Even as recently as yesterday he sent me something to get me on the road to using Lunaria. Great stuff.

Steve
Paul Prater
View Profile
Elite user
North Little Rock, AR
483 Posts

Profile of Paul Prater
Peter,

I agree with what has been said above. One of the primary differences for those effects you mentioned and for Shutterbug as well is that your audience buy in and involvement are necessary for sucess. Anyone can sit back and watch a cups and balls show and appreicate the dexterity and the surprise, but bizarre is quite different. Your audience needs to be engaged, which means having the right setting and the right audience.

One of the big differences is that I don't expect applause. In fact, many times, if I got it, I would see it as failure. I want people to BELIEVE in what I am doing. If they think it is just a trick, then I didn't do something right. Silence is my absolute best response. "That was really weird" or "creepy" will also do quite well.

Honestly, video (especially out of context) does a poor job of conveying the feel for these types of performances. Shoot me an email at paul@paulprater.com if you want to discuss more. I can probably help you out.
TH1
View Profile
Special user
Zombies beware! I have your heads on
590 Posts

Profile of TH1
Quote:
...Shoot me an email at paul@paulprater.com if you want to discuss more. I can probably help you out.

The back and forth on this discussion may make for an interesting and informative episode of The Study podcast.
Beware of evil spirits...and depleted batteries! Smile
Peter McMillan
View Profile
Elite user
St. George, Utah
497 Posts

After reading the posts and talking with Michael, I can see I first need to go back to the beginning and purchase Lunaira or Sanctum to start learning this type of effect.

Paul - It also appears I need to keep an eye out for a performance of this style and make the effort to go experience it for myself to understand the full effect. Thank you for your help.

TH1 - Where would I find "The Study" you mentioned. Google search brought up many options, non in the bizarre field.

Thank you all.
~
www.SantaPeteUtah.com
Michael_MacDonald
View Profile
1964 - 2016
Washington
2034 Posts

Paul pratter has a wonderful podcast called the study, he has a link in one of the threads that you would be able to search for.
Paul Prater
View Profile
Elite user
North Little Rock, AR
483 Posts

Profile of Paul Prater
Thanks guys. Always just look to the sig line! I need to record another episode. I have it written and have an interview. I just haven't had the time to record lately.

I do discuss performance in the podcast. It is available here: http://paulprater.com/forperformersa.html
TH1
View Profile
Special user
Zombies beware! I have your heads on
590 Posts

Profile of TH1
Quote:

TH1 - Where would I find "The Study" you mentioned. Google search brought up many options, non in the bizarre field.

Thank you all.

In addition to the website link Paul provided, you can subscribe to it on iTunes using the iTunes podcast app.
Beware of evil spirits...and depleted batteries! Smile
Michael_MacDonald
View Profile
1964 - 2016
Washington
2034 Posts

This post actually got me thinking.

wonder tour, a traveling carnival, wouldn't they have a "freak show"? perhaps a circus effect by paul would fit? I do not have the routine but I think it may go well with this one.
Al Desmond
View Profile
Inner circle
Secret Mountain Lair in Conifer, Co
1511 Posts

Profile of Al Desmond
Quote:
On 2012-11-02 10:11, Michael_MacDonald wrote:

wonder tour, a traveling carnival, wouldn't they have a "freak show"? perhaps a circus effect by paul would fit? I do not have the routine but I think it may go well with this one.

Have Doug Higley make up a special "Dark Museum" (based on Free Will) with three of his "zibits," that would be a good substitute for sideshow freaks. I use the standard "Dark Museum" kit and have changed the name to "Museum Obscura" and my script ties together the museum pieces with Cornelius Hobbs, Sanctum and the Wonder Tour (with Rick Roth's permission).

I published the script here on the Café. Just a thought...
maxnew40
View Profile
Elite user
402 Posts

Profile of maxnew40
For me the Outlaw products transend the idea of a "Trick". These effects are more about creating an atmosphere and telling a very compelling story. The mechanics or the moves are really secondary to the story and the theatrical performance elements.

-Max
Michael_MacDonald
View Profile
1964 - 2016
Washington
2034 Posts

Quote:
On 2012-11-02 10:45, Al Desmond wrote:
Quote:
On 2012-11-02 10:11, Michael_MacDonald wrote:

yet another nice idea!

Have Doug Higley make up a special "Dark Museum" (based on Free Will) with three of his "zibits," that would be a good substitute for sideshow freaks. I use the standard "Dark Museum" kit and have changed the name to "Museum Obscura" and my script ties together the museum pieces with Cornelius Hobbs, Sanctum and the Wonder Tour (with Rick Roth's permission).

I published the script here on the Café. Just a thought...
Michael_MacDonald
View Profile
1964 - 2016
Washington
2034 Posts

Quote:
On 2012-11-02 15:05, maxnew40 wrote:
For me the Outlaw products transend the idea of a "Trick". These effects are more about creating an atmosphere and telling a very compelling story. The mechanics or the moves are really secondary to the story and the theatrical performance elements.

-Max

for the most part you are correct, but if your not used to doing this type of work and you have a limited back ground in psychological forces you will be hard pressed to get the full value of the props. you need a solid foundation of mental manipulation skills to tie in with the great back story.
MentalistCreationLab
View Profile
Inner circle
1528 Posts

Profile of MentalistCreationLab
I am a bit stumped today what happened to number 1 and 3 of this series? I see 2 and 4 but no number 1 or 3. Could just be the day form h**l I am having or I am losing my mind. I just received number two in this series the other day and love it. Purchased before everything hit the fan. Wooo what a day!!!!
Joshua J
View Profile
Inner circle
1044 Posts

Profile of Joshua J
1 is no longer available as it was replaced by 2. It was a very basic business card effect with nowhere near as much too it. 3 is no longer made, but the PDFs to make it have been sold through alchemy moon.
Michael_MacDonald
View Profile
1964 - 2016
Washington
2034 Posts

S5 is a coin that you create your own routines for but with the work from 2 and lunaria you have enough back ground to put together some awesome work with the coin.

I just made my set of 3 and it is so cool how he put it together.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » I'm A Dummy, HELP ME (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL