The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » My Thoughts on Patrick Redford's Hexagon (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
CarlZen
View Profile
Special user
751 Posts

Profile of CarlZen
Can I pre- order now don't want to miss out again.
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10781 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
I'm glad I preordered - its excellent material like always - I just want to know what I got to do to appear in a book of Patrick's someday... seems you need a Tardis, be trained in hypnotic voice shadow control, duplicate yourself and other things...

I like the metastory that ties all the comics together....

Like usual, I took the first few effects and starting using them right away... they are worked out so nicely already... love the distance effects the most.

Bravo sir (again)
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
tincture
View Profile
Special user
587 Posts

Profile of tincture
Finally had a chance to digest this.

Of the five comics this is my favorite cover design. If you haven't seen it (and I'm sure you have) the cover depicts a wrist watch. The numbers have been replaced with letters that spell the books title: "HEXAGON." The back cover promises six effects and claims inside reveals the secret to obtaining super powers on "your wrist watch." While this isn't exactly true inside there are some very clever effects. Despite the back cover listing six effects I counted nine. If you count all the other layered insights between the covers of Hexagon there are probably even more. The book is only 45 pages but packed. You'll find yourself reading and re-reading it just to further appreciate those small details.

Onto the effects....

Time Warp

This effect is one of the hidden unlisted bits that Redford seems to usually hide. It is an impromptu version of the now classic Time Machine style effect. I mean that to be the mechanical watch not actual time travel. Basically someone names any time of day and you show that you've previously set your watch to the named time. I'm not sure I'll be using this but do find the thinking involved and the introduction of the "limiting technique" good food for thought.

Ring Watch Wallet

This is one I've already used a few times for friends over the phone. Essentially someone mixes his ring watch and wallet into a random order and you're able to direct him to replace them in the right places (pocket, wrist, finger). I've been hoping for this to go "wrong" just to see how it plays (if you have the book you know what I mean).

Tossed Out Time

Reading the title I didn't think I'd find much new thought. Patrick really floored me with some very unique thinking on this classic plot. His "point and tap" technique for revealing the three different thoughts is very interesting and I look forward to putting it into practice. The closing idea also cleans up what is usually an issue with this kind of routine and makes it playable in a close-up situation. I will be using this.

Time Turner

Out of everything in the book, this is my favorite. That's all I'll say about it.

Savant Soup

This is probably my least favorite of the bunch. Essentially it's a day for any date except you're helping someone else name the right day for whatever date is called. While I see this working as directed ... why not just teach someone to do it for real? Maybe someone else who has this will love it but for me, it didn't do much for me (anyone else?).

Chronometer

In this effect you're able to set a borrowed watch to the exact same time it was set to moments before by someone else despite never seeing that time on the watch previously. This method is very clever though I've been a bit nervous to try it. I will get around to it.

21st Century Photo-reading

With this technique you describe a random photograph in a borrowed cell phone that you appear to have no previous knowledge of. I did this for my wife and she accused me of peeking somehow! This is great fun and I will be doing this again the next chance I get.

The Impromptu Moment

While I haven't tried this, I don't see why it wouldn't work. When out to eat with a friend you can set a borrowed phone's alarm clock to go off at the precise moment the food arrives. It's a very bold method.

The appendix has two more interesting quickies. One of these is for use

The Dooms Day Rule

This is my first introduction to this style of thinking on this effect. I like this much better than Savant Soup and would find teaching this to others far more interesting. I'll be working on this years Dooms Day.

Psychologically Forcing a Thought of Time

This is a quick psychological force/divination of a thought of time that Patrick says he performs along side Ring Watch Wallet. I've tried this three times now and hit two of the three trials.

All in all this is a great book. I'm also pleased that I now have a complete set and have a sub-story that reads from start to finish. If you don't have the other books in the series I don't think you'll find you're missing much as I imagine the existing story will seem to stand on its own. I'm pleased to have a complete "Shape series." Patrick... will we see an Octagon?

If you haven't already gotten yours, don't miss the chance.
CarlZen
View Profile
Special user
751 Posts

Profile of CarlZen
I wish Patrick would hurry and put the next batch out this sounds like a real winner.
Patrick Redford
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1751 Posts

Profile of Patrick Redford
Good news! Those of you that had messaged me will be happy to know that there were 30 more Hexagons hiding away in an overflow box that wasn't accounted for! This means I have just 30 left.
SubconsciousSymbols
View Profile
Loyal user
Bristol, UK
250 Posts

Profile of SubconsciousSymbols
Hey Patrick,

just ordered this on the strength of these reviews and the quality of your previous works. Hope I got my payment in in time for one of the 30 copies. My email/paypal is asherwilson@live.co.uk, could you let me know if you received payment and when you're likely to dispatch it.

Looking forward to reading this!

Aw
'The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious'
Anansi
View Profile
Regular user
195 Posts

Profile of Anansi
Just made a devotional to the God of Paypal.
ars est celare artem
Patrick Redford
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1751 Posts

Quote:
On 2012-11-25 16:46, Anansi wrote:
Just made a devotional to the God of Paypal.

This is just the perfect thing for someone named Anansi to say.
Atlas
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of Atlas
I have just finished this. I recall a month or two back that there was a thread discussing effects to do with time or watches...something like that.

Patrick dropped in on that thread and teased us with Hexagon. Being familiar with Patrick's thinking, I stopped looking for other effects and sat patiently waiting for this. He did not mislead. There are almost too many options to choose from.

This publication has already been thoroughly reviewed, so apart from taking a moment to echo the sentiment that Time Turner is fine thinkIng, I won't rehash what has been said already.

What I will say is that if you own Stephen Yachanin's Thought Association Card, you should buy this for Ring, Watch, Wallet. Then figure out how to blend the two. I am not going to say any more than that - I think what I've stumbled upon is too strong....but I will point you in the right direction.

Overall, this is a good buy.

I also enjoyed Colin and Ken's cameos. I like it when there are inside references and a sense of community.

So, a big thanks to Patrick for his great thinking!

Best,

Atlas
tincture
View Profile
Special user
587 Posts

Profile of tincture
Atlas...tell me more about this card and how you're combining things!
Atlas
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of Atlas
Tincture, I apologize for how vague the following is, but I don't want to reveal methods of any of the effects involved. But imagine doing Thought Association Card with no card at all, using the items laid out on the table instead...and then revealing not only the word they were thinking of, but what was where as described in Hexagon. A little tinkering can make this work with commonplace items carried on a person.

The double reveal goes from one solid revelation directly into another.
tincture
View Profile
Special user
587 Posts

Profile of tincture
That's pretty interesting. I appreciate you being vague in an open forum. You have my mind going now.
Atlas
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of Atlas
If you are doing it over the phone (or with your back turned and a quick mind), you can present the same again with more items using an effect by Banachek. I love being able to apparently repeat things Smile
tincture
View Profile
Special user
587 Posts

Profile of tincture
Are you speaking of his russian roulette?
BenCummings
View Profile
New user
95 Posts

Profile of BenCummings
I just want to give a shout out to Patrick for his recent Penguin Lecture. I watched it and it was superb. I don't own Hexagon but it appears he demonstrated many of the ideas from this book on the lecture, so it sounds like a good resource for some of you to take a look at if you're wanting video demonstrations of certain Hexagon routines. Great lecture Patrick -

Ben
Conversations With Mind Readers - Crawl inside the minds of 32 of the greatest<br> mentalists on the planet. After a decades absence, it's available again on a limited basis:

http://conversationswithmindreaders.com
Atlas
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of Atlas
Tincture - I think it is called Telephone Bullet Catch, but yes, it sounds as though we are on the same page.

Best,

Atlas
SubconsciousSymbols
View Profile
Loyal user
Bristol, UK
250 Posts

Atlas, I own both Hexagon and Thought Association card (not a huge fan of T.A.Card, still seems too contrived, me and a friend are working on what we believe to be a better chunnel method without restrictive categories that some people would struggle with)

Would love to hear about your idea/addition and perhaps share thoughts. PM?

Aw
SubconsciousSymbols
View Profile
Loyal user
Bristol, UK
250 Posts

I forgot to mention in my last post but...

I will echo everything said before; Patrick's thinking is fresh and innovative (as usual), the effects are fully formed and comprehensively explained, the publication itself is beautiful, I don't want anyone else doing 'Time Turner'. (It's the 'dog's danglies' as we say in the UK).

Aw
Patrick Redford
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1751 Posts

Thanks very much and also of course, I'm interested what you folks have done with the Thought card in combination with Hexagon.
Atlas
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of Atlas
Patrick,

I've sent you a PM.

Best,

Atlas
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » My Thoughts on Patrick Redford's Hexagon (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL