The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Criss Angel ripped me off !!! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Chad Sanborn
View Profile
Inner circle
my fingers hurt from typing,
2206 Posts

Profile of Chad Sanborn
In his special he did a coin under the skin trick. the coin could be seen moving under his skin then he cut it out. Well, I had this idea last year in Sept. I posted it here. You can read about it at this link
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......;forum=3

Man I feel ripped off. oh well.

Chad
Thoughtreader
View Profile
Inner circle
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
1565 Posts

Profile of Thoughtreader
Maybe the idea was taken, maybe it was thought of separatly however, Criss's method was NOT anything near what was mentioned in that thread.
PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
Canada's Leading Mentalist
http://www.mindguy.com
AB StageCraft
http://www.mindguy.com/store
hackmonkey
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1092 Posts

Profile of hackmonkey
Chad I know how you feel, but many times I have thought that I invented an effect to find later it has been published. A few years ago I invented a very nice card effect using a train ticket machine, only to find out later that David Acer invented the exact same trick, 'Ghost in the machine'. Other stuff as well, but with this many magicians thinking some are bound to come up with similar plots and ideas. The human mind only has so many trains of thought, unless you eat some mushrooms that make you change tracks. Smile
Look behind you...on your left...thats the real world.

http://www.instagram.com/JoePiperMagic
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26967 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Perhaps VALIS found you an unworthy vessle? <- joke

Paranoia aside, I don't understand your statement.

You not alone in feeling a bit odd. The effect is kind of 'in the wind' from several perspectives. I discussed this exact effect and presentation with folks and also expressed my concerns about going explicit since there are people who do cut themselves... a very sad thing. Even posted suggesting this makes a nice way to do the 'three fly' from elbow to fingertips. However... it seems unlikely Chris Angel's team simply overheard and 'borrowed'. More likely they have been working on this for quite a while. It really does take a while to get the prosthetics and mechanics to work properly and then to make it work in live performance.

as to originality... well maybe you could consider yourself a member of the club which considered the trick.

Did you get the gimick made? Get the mechanics tested and routined? Did you perform the thing for people a few times? Did it work for you?

Might be better to take this as positive feedback that you are thinking about material that is worth performing. This way when you get an idea you will be more confident in taking it from your imagination and into performing reality. And best to you in that respect. People like fun tricks.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Peter Loughran
View Profile
V.I.P.
Ontario, Canada
2682 Posts

Profile of Peter Loughran
Chad,

As a friend of Criss's I can assure that this was in the works before and without ever seeing your posts here on the magic Café.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Hey you know what happens to me all the time?...

Things like this:

I will pick a song and use it in my show and then a few years later somelike David Copperfield comes along and uses the same song. Now if I use the song it looks like I am copying him, even though I was using it way before him...Its just the way it is.

Or:

I will be wearing a certain costume in my show and two years later another big name comes along with the identical "look", just unfortunate coincidences I guess.

But I highly doubt any of these guys purposely stole it from me...

P.
Brand New: - MICRO VANISHING STATUE OF LIBERTY ILLUSION
www.masterofillusions.ca

Follow me on Facebook:
https://m.facebook.com/peter.loughran.9

Check out my new movie:
www.plasterrockmovie.com
www.globaluniversal.com

Also visit: www.tenyoelite.com
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3038 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
Im curious as to how this works. Lets say I invent a magic trick. I make it, and sell it on the market. Then , I find out that the exact same trick was invented years ago, and is already on the market. Would I be in trouble?

I ask this because I did actually come up with an effect that I was proud of, and asked several Magic Shops if they ever heard of anything similar to it. They said no. Before I ever finished the final design, I found the effect advertised on the internet! So I scrapped the whole thing.

Just a curiosity question!
WR
View Profile
Special user
Utah
945 Posts

Profile of WR
Quote:
On 2003-11-02 22:00, hackmonkey wrote:
Chad I know how you feel, but many times I have thought that I invented an effect to find later it has been published. A few years ago I invented I very nice card effect using a train ticket machine, only to find out later that David Acer invented the exacte same trick, 'Ghost in the machine'. Other stuff as well, but with this many magicians thinking some are bound to come up wuth similar plots and ideas. The human mind only has so many trains of thought, unless you eat some mushrooms that make you change tracks. Smile

Well said. I thought I had come up with some NEW card handlings until Daryl told me I had taken credit for a Sleight 100 years old. Smile
WR Smile
"Tell Em WR sent Ya."
Chad Sanborn
View Profile
Inner circle
2206 Posts

Profile of Chad Sanborn
It still seems odd to me...

Chad

Ps...just because I am paranoid, doesn't mean there not out to get me...Smile
WR
View Profile
Special user
Utah
945 Posts

Profile of WR
Chad,
They are watching you through you computer. Follow the White Rabbit...Smile
WR Smile
"Tell Em WR sent Ya."
Oli
View Profile
New user
Essex, UK
46 Posts

Profile of Oli
I think the thing is that if you have a killer routine - keep it to your chest. Don't let anyone know about it until you have to. I work in TV and any ideas I have with regards to programmes, I keep very low key until the the last minute. It's the only way to keep vultures off your back!

Oli
WR
View Profile
Special user
Utah
945 Posts

Profile of WR
I sorry to say I MUST disagree. I have shared many of my Favorite self made effects (Some with the help of others.) I feel that Magic is alive and growing. We belong to a Brotherhood and should freely give. I know I have recieved much more than I have given. To the idea of others Stealing effects;
how often do we give a disclaimer after each effect in our shows..."That one was created by Dia Vernon..."
Just my 2 Cents worth,
WR Smile
"Tell Em WR sent Ya."
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2888 Posts

Profile of dpe666
Quote:
On 2003-11-01 23:43, Chad Sanborn wrote: Well, I had this idea last year in Sept. I posted it here. You can read about it at this link
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......;forum=3

Man I feel ripped off. oh well.

Chad

If you wanted it kept proprietary, then WHY did you POST IT?! Smile
Caleb Strange
View Profile
Special user
Manchester UK
676 Posts

Profile of Caleb Strange
I've seen a couple of 'my' Café ideas make television, but I tend to think that this is a zeitgeist/spirit of the age type thing. Some ideas just seem to ripen in the general culture. I know when I've swapped material with other magicians off-site, similar accidental duplication has occured. However, I guess that it is possible that some magical consultant, temporarily bereft of ideas, has 'been inspired' by the excellent work in the Café. And if it hasn't happened, I'm sure it will. Kind of makes a good plot for a story. (The museless hack, ripping off his/her more creative peers...)

As for jealously guarding ideas (as has been suggested), well I agree with WR; we're here to share. And however much we give, we gain so much more in return.

Regards,

Caleb Strange.
-- QCiC --
Chad Sanborn
View Profile
Inner circle
2206 Posts

Profile of Chad Sanborn
Tis better to give than to get!

Chad
WR
View Profile
Special user
Utah
945 Posts

Profile of WR
Tis the season. Smile
WR Smile
"Tell Em WR sent Ya."
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2888 Posts

Profile of dpe666
Hum-Bug. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Criss Angel ripped me off !!! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL