The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Illusion plans and building your own illusions (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Andre Hagen
View Profile
Inner circle
1432 Posts

Profile of Andre Hagen
Quote:
On 2013-04-26 15:16, Dennis Loomis wrote:
I've been in magic all of my life and I still don't really understand how an illusion moves from "Protected" status to the Public Domain. The Zig Zag was definitely protected, in writing. But after a time everybody started to build them. And this has happened to most all of the better illusions. Origami, for example, has been pirated repeatedly.

It seems that if one person steals an illusion he's a thief. But if several people do, then the illusion is considered Public Domain.

Dennis "Denny" Loomis

The last post by Dennis Loomis on the Café. Goodbye Dennis! You're in the public domain now and will be remembered!
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein
socalmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles
267 Posts

Profile of socalmagic
Actually, what Dennis said is very close to the truth. Coke and Xerox have to protect their trademarks or they lose them. If enough people call cola Coke, or a copy machine Xerox, then they lose their protected status.
ablanathanalba
View Profile
Loyal user
Can't really boast with only
289 Posts

Profile of ablanathanalba
Does anyone know of a good book on how to construct smaller items out of wood, like the kinds of things Magic Wagon does? I've seen a couple of things (Color Blocks, Hippity Rabbits) but wondering if there's a book or pdf you can buy to make some of these things.
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
For small prop ideas, check out my Hardboard and Duct Tape Magic series on The Magic Nook. You don't actually have to build the props from hardboard and duct tape, but I recommend you at least build a prototype from inexpensive materials (even cardboard and cellophane tape) to use as a model for making a more permanent version from antique oak and solid gold hinges or whatever suits you.
magicelam
View Profile
Veteran user
Tennessee
368 Posts

Profile of magicelam
Someone earlier asked which plan I bought that explained the rights were not included.

It was the Mini-Kub Zag. Dan Wolfe (who lives one city over from me), of Smokey Mountain Magic, is, from my understanding, the licensed builder of these things.

There is some dispute over who actually originated the illusion however. That being said, I had no intentions of building it, I just thought it might not last long on Osborne's site, so I gobbled it up. I just checked a few seconds ago, and it's still for sale.
Mike
MikeHolbrook
View Profile
Regular user
USA, Angier, NC
112 Posts

Profile of MikeHolbrook
To answer the question about resources for smaller illusions, The Magic Nook has some great stuff. There are even videos with some of it so you can see a demo before you order plans to build.

Mike
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Illusion plans and building your own illusions (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL