The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Vanishing the ball (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
havagrim
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of havagrim
Hey!
Ive seen several performers of a cups and balls routine do a vanish with the ball in one hand, the wand in the other. They strike against the open hand with the ball, and as the wand touches the palm with the ball, the ball is gone.

I have a good idea on how to do it. But is this some move with a certain name that I can investigate further? Really want to learn this properly as I am working on to be able to preform a cups and balls routine, and I really like this move. Looks so clean.

At the moment I only do the chop cup with great success, but I would love to improve my cups and balls and start to preform it.

Ronnie
"The world is my playground"
Magician from Sweden.
Gary T.
View Profile
Veteran user
375 Posts

Profile of Gary T.
It is legitimately called, wait for it, the strike (or striking depending on where you learn) vanish, I guess because magicians have to be creative with their moves, they have no creativity left for naming them, it's a david williamson move I believe, but can be learned all over, I learned it from the magic makers cups and balls dvd that comes with these plastic cups http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMAZING-CUPS-AND......c13e34f4 but I'm sure there are better sources, anyway I'm pretty certain it's SUPPOSED to be called the strike vanish, but can be found jsut as readily as striking vanish
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
The strike vanish (I think) was developed to be used with an improvised wand like a pen or table knife. Something short so your hands are relatively close together. Few magicians I've seen can accomplish this convincingly with a longer object like a traditional wand. Most performers "cheat" by making an obvious (to me) tossing move with the ball hand. It doesn't take much more than a twitch and forward movement of both hands to let inertia move the ball to it's final resting place.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Gary T.
View Profile
Veteran user
375 Posts

Profile of Gary T.
It's totally possible with enough practice, I don't personally use it, but I've seen plenty of people do it really well.
Mark Ross
View Profile
Loyal user
Batavia, NY
236 Posts

Profile of Mark Ross
David Williamson and Michael Ammar both do a very convincing strike vanish with a full length wand. Both are good sources to learn it, too. Both have books and DVDs that teach it. If you want more specific references, please drop me a PM.

Mark
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Williamson developed it and Ammar was one of the first to publish it. It really needs to be worked into a routine - not effective on its own.
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1334 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
Don't make it obvious throw it up. I use it in the middle of a quick routine with a borrowed coin and Sharpie.

A busker in London taught me it. I don't want to give to much away. but the wand hand moving over the ball and swing the wand can help. Also hitting the hand make the ball jump as well.

I don't know good resouces but have fun with it.
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
havagrim
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of havagrim
Great! Thanks a lot for all the tips, hints and advice! Helps alot. I have decided to get Michael Ammars cups and balls dvd (1 - 2). I really like his other work and have been a big fan of his since I got into magic.

I realise it should be used in a routine. I was thinking to mix the vanishes of the ball up, to make it less repetative and obvious.

I to have seen some very good people do it with a wand very clean. I guess its just about practice, practice and more practice like with everything else Smile

Thanks people. Ill start to dive into the frey. I guess Michael Ammar's cups and balls dvd is a good place to start to evolve my routine.

Also I have heard great things about Gazzos street cups. Guess I will look into that aswell.

Ronnie
Magician from Sweden.
Tom Fenton
View Profile
Inner circle
Leeds, UK (but I'm Scottish)
1477 Posts

Profile of Tom Fenton
David Williamson has an excellent teaching session about the striking vanish on his DVD "Magic Farm".
"But there isn't a door"
havagrim
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of havagrim
Cool, I will check that out aswell. I am sure there is plenty of more interesting stuff on that DVD to justify the buy. Thanks for the tip!

Ronnie
Magician from Sweden.
professorwhut
View Profile
Inner circle
Posts R US sold me
1353 Posts

Profile of professorwhut
Jay Sankey also teaches it, look for his trick Leaving Home, which is a key on string trick.
After much soul searching about a signature, I decided not to have one.

TG Pop [aka ProfessorWhut]
Magic-Scott
View Profile
Veteran user
310 Posts

Profile of Magic-Scott
Ronnie, Michael Ammar is an excellent teacher. I think it's a great place to start. Enjoy and good luck!
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
Ronnie, you made the right choice.
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
chappy
View Profile
Special user
764 Posts

Profile of chappy
'A striking vanish' by David Williamson is taught on Magic Farm with a bunch of interesting variations involving balls, coins, cards and other items. Dave also explains why he no longer uses it in his C&B routine, and how he prefers to use it.

Magic Farm is a fantastic dvd.
FARO FUNDAMENTALS, DETAILS OF DECEPTION and THE DEVIL'S STAIRCASE at www.thedevilsstaircase.com
mtgoldstein
View Profile
Veteran user
Houston, TX
325 Posts

Profile of mtgoldstein
Greg Wilson had a chop cup routine using Hershey Kisses, a can of Hershey's Chocolate Syrup, and used a spoon to do the strike vanish. This Shorter length "wand" lookrs great and the shiney bowl of the spoon striking the palm added to the effect a bit w an audable as well as visual aspect.
Felman
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of Felman
Ammar's Cups and Balls 1 and 2 is a GREAT set of dvds for learning many of the sleights for building up your own routine!
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
The short "wand" is much safer to use with this vanish, mainly because there is a shorter distance for the object to travel. Very few magicians do this well with a full-length wand, unless they grip it near the center.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Dale J. O'Neill
View Profile
Regular user
I can't believe I only have
132 Posts

Profile of Dale J. O'Neill
With a full length wand I prefer the wand spin vanish rather that the Striking Vanish. I have to agree with Bill, the striking vanish is too hard for me with a full length wand.
Twist,

Magically misdirecting you, one effect at a time.....

www.misdirectionist.com
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Yes Michael Ammar has done a tremendous job on the C&Bs for our community, really fantastic

... and even if you can do a proper Striking Vanish (using Bill Palmer's advice) it would be dammageable to the move to repeat it too many times in your routine but it blends well with the Mora wand spin and there is no preference to have here (just a good brain to use them properly in combination)

You need however other vanishes as well and you can find them either in Audly Walsh or Garry Ouellet or Franck Garcia or David Roth (on his balls video). Just study also the position of the receiving left hand: if you close your left hand into a fist naturally, your fist looks empty. Try bringing the tip of your curled middle finger to the inner knuckle of your thumb and curl the oter fingers along the second finger.
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Two more points on vanishes: if one wants to fool magicians who know about the Mora wand spin, it's a simple matter to use Richard Hatch vanish and then perform the wand spin managing for the hand holding not to pass under the one holding the ball to vanish, just the tip of the wand.

For the fanatics about David Williamson's Striking Vanish who want to kill even its originator, use a looped ball (check Now U see it now your don't by Meir Yedid) and hit the left palm with the very tip of the wand in a way that the Striking vanish could not be done... and then use the ball just as a regular ball....
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Vanishing the ball (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL