We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Oops! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4898 Posts

Profile of landmark
There have been plenty of threads in the other forums about what to say or do when you've been caught. But what about mentalists? If a cardman is caught palming a card, it's not the end of the world--he can even admit, well you caught me this time, and go on to the next effect and fool and astonish the crowd.

But for mentalists, I think it's much more dangerous. Your entire credibility is shot. Anything that would follow would be suspect. Now, I don't mean just missing on a prediction--we've had many threads about that. I mean really being caught doing your dirty work. How do you recover from that?

Any ideas or experiences?

Thanks,
Jack Shalom
Richard Busch
View Profile
Regular user
Pittsburgh, PA - USA
105 Posts

Profile of Richard Busch
I know of a fellow it actually happened to. He laughed, said "how else?", and moved on. That's all I heard.
Richard Busch
<BR>www.RichardBusch.com
<BR>RichardBusch@RichardBusch.com
www.TheMindFocuser.com
shrink
View Profile
Inner circle
2609 Posts

Profile of shrink
Its possible with good spectator management skills to get by. In fact this happened to me recently doing an effect with a borrowed watch. I can't go into the details as it will give the effect away. I asked them to do something and they realised they weren't doing what I asked.....They said "Im not sure this is....." I stared into their eyes and smiled and said " that's right.....your not sure are you ....keep doing x".

This had him look confused.. to the audience it looked like it was part of the effect. Either way it got me out of a hole.

This has happened once or twice over the years if you are confident and can confuse the volunteer and keep it moving the audience won't suspect anything.

Or at least that's the theory!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Oops! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL