The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Spider pen pro (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
mentalran
View Profile
Regular user
119 Posts

Profile of mentalran
Its true, mentalism is based mostly on tricks, but the difference is that our "tricks" ,if revealed to the audience is not something they can appreciate as opposed to a magician that have great sleight of hand, that's why our premise is based upon reading body language, suggestion etc..something that our audience can relate to and its not being super natural.
as I have said before, pk is mentalism that's why I see the floating bill as mentalism.. its real to the audience that's what makes mentalism- real. and you can take almost every magic and make it real.
magicman29
View Profile
Inner circle
hertfordshire
1245 Posts

Profile of magicman29
Mentalran,is levitation mentalism? Because from watching your video it looks like you made the note levitate.....I'm gonna post a video of me doing a spongeball routine and using the power of my mind I'm gonna make them vanish! Smile

Kieran
mentalran
View Profile
Regular user
119 Posts

Profile of mentalran
Magicman29 pk is moving an object with the power of the mind.. levitation is pk Smile
bevbevvybev
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2674 Posts

Profile of bevbevvybev
A magic trick is usually something that appears impossible, yet we know in our rational minds as audience that it must be 'a trick'. Yet we appreciate the skill and deception involved. We clap when we see 'clever conjuring'.

Mentalism however tends to be more manipulative of the perception of what is possible and impossible, and tends to lack the disclaimer of 'But it's just a trick'. Instead it obfuscates the method, confuses the audience's perception of reality, and attempts to convince the audience of skills in things that don't actually exist - in effect, it attempts to sell a different method as it goes based on the effect.

It's the difference between being asked 'Very cool, where was the string holding it up?' and 'That's amazing, you read me like a book'.

Both can be perecived as tricks from the performers side of the fence, but the impression on the audience couldn't be more different.

People never ask me to 'do that trick again'. However they do tend to ask me to read their friend, see what insights I have about someone else etc.

This makes mentalists far better liars than magicians IMHO.
Peter_turner
View Profile
V.I.P.
Bradford, West Yorkshire
1355 Posts

Profile of Peter_turner
Clearly anyone who thinks mentalism is a trick dressed up should not be performing mentalism. When I perform mentalism I don't use trickery. I use a hell of a lot of real techniques that are NOT tricks in any sense of the word. Anyone who has ever skyped with me or seen me lecture or give a masterclass will attest to the same thing.

P.k stands for psycho-kinetic (or telekinesis)and although it technically falls into the category of mentalism (as it is an ability of the mind)I honestly don't think it is a convincing form of it. When people see it, I think they will just think it is a trick.....but what do I know.

LEVITATION is not PK

levitation is where an object "Floats" or "hovers" of it's own accord (there is no one there to control it).

The reason a lot of "Mentalists" don't get the reactions they would like is because of above posts. They have no belief in anything they do so they never seem convincing. Look outside the box and see what is really possible because where I am standing things look a whole lot different.

The video and trick itself were fine, great reactions, well shot....When the people look up to the roof that should be an indication of whether people believe your mind moved the note.

Have some respect for the art, try tell Cassidy what he does is a trick.

Pete x
lostpoet
View Profile
Special user
610 Posts

Profile of lostpoet
With quality mentalist chair of skill an I add now floating dollar.
I be fine mind reader. I like thanks Café for making act so good.
Few weeks more here reading I be best star mentalist. No?
magicman29
View Profile
Inner circle
hertfordshire
1245 Posts

Profile of magicman29
Quote:
On 2012-11-07 14:49, lostpoet wrote:

Wtf!

Kieran
lostpoet
View Profile
Special user
610 Posts

Profile of lostpoet
WTF is what all audience say me after pk dollar float plus mentalist chair.
Wish had dollar for everyone that say that saying at my show I be richer.
DekEl
View Profile
Inner circle
Creates MindTricks. Has exactly:
1172 Posts

Profile of DekEl
Quote:
On 2012-11-07 14:49, lostpoet wrote:

I'd like to say that this is the most disjointed and poorly structured set of sentences that I've seen all week, but unfortunately, it's not.
You can purchase my works at: http://www.GetMindTricks.com
lostpoet
View Profile
Special user
610 Posts

Profile of lostpoet
Sorry, I'll try harder.
kambiz
View Profile
Inner circle
Perth, down by the cool of the pool
1129 Posts

Profile of kambiz
LOL!!!!!

Kam
If I speak forth, many a mind will shatter,
And if I write, many a pen will break.
.....and when I consider my own self, lo, I find it coarser than clay!
ArtIn
View Profile
Inner circle
1702 Posts

Profile of ArtIn
Quote:
On 2012-11-07 13:33, Peter_turner wrote:
Clearly anyone who thinks mentalism is a trick dressed up should not be performing mentalism. When I perform mentalism I don't use trickery. I use a hell of a lot of real techniques that are NOT tricks in any sense of the word. Anyone who has ever skyped with me or seen me lecture or give a masterclass will attest to the same thing.

P.k stands for psycho-kinetic (or telekinesis)and although it technically falls into the category of mentalism (as it is an ability of the mind)I honestly don't think it is a convincing form of it. When people see it, I think they will just think it is a trick.....but what do I know.

LEVITATION is not PK

levitation is where an object "Floats" or "hovers" of it's own accord (there is no one there to control it).

The reason a lot of "Mentalists" don't get the reactions they would like is because of above posts. They have no belief in anything they do so they never seem convincing. Look outside the box and see what is really possible because where I am standing things look a whole lot different.

The video and trick itself were fine, great reactions, well shot....When the people look up to the roof that should be an indication of whether people believe your mind moved the note.

Pete x

thank you!
Justin Lewis
View Profile
Special user
981 Posts

Profile of Justin Lewis
On 2012-11-07 13:33, Peter_turner wrote:

LEVITATION is not PK

Pete x

WOW.. very well said!
“The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it.”- Anonymous
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Quote:
On 2012-11-05 02:17, mentalran wrote:
Hey guys
check out my new video of the spider pen pro in the streets!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=n0__bx8YIeM#!

NICELY done!
PhilDean
View Profile
Elite user
445 Posts

Profile of PhilDean
Very nice dude.
ralphs007
View Profile
Inner circle
1087 Posts

Profile of ralphs007
Nicely done, was that magic or telekinesis ? I always get those two mixed up. Just kidding , Great job.
"You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him".
James D. Miles
MichaelCGM
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma City
2286 Posts

Profile of MichaelCGM
Quote:
On 2012-11-07 10:41, bevbevvybev wrote:
A magic trick is usually something that appears impossible, yet we know in our rational minds as audience that it must be 'a trick'. Yet we appreciate the skill and deception involved. We clap when we see 'clever conjuring'.

Mentalism however tends to be more manipulative of the perception of what is possible and impossible, and tends to lack the disclaimer of 'But it's just a trick'. Instead it obfuscates the method, confuses the audience's perception of reality, and attempts to convince the audience of skills in things that don't actually exist - in effect, it attempts to sell a different method as it goes based on the effect.

It's the difference between being asked 'Very cool, where was the string holding it up?' and 'That's amazing, you read me like a book'.

Both can be perecived as tricks from the performers side of the fence, but the impression on the audience couldn't be more different.

People never ask me to 'do that trick again'. However they do tend to ask me to read their friend, see what insights I have about someone else etc.

This makes mentalists far better liars than magicians IMHO.
That's it, exactly!
Magically Yours,

Magical Michael

MagicalMichael.com Smile Laus Deo!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Spider pen pro (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL