The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Walking thru a mirror (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Tor Egil
View Profile
Elite user
Norway
495 Posts

Profile of Tor Egil
Right now Im in the process of making an illusion, the Walking thru a Mirror. I've been thinking about using it in an event or something. When it comes to music, I have no clue what to use. What kinda music would go well with this illusion?
Any help is appriciated.

Tor

Do you guys know where I could get a pleximirror?
Scott Imler
View Profile
Special user
Calgary, Canada
542 Posts

Profile of Scott Imler
Plexiglass mirrors are availble at any plastics dealer. Most of the plastics dealers that carry plexglass or acrylic plastics will also carry the plastic mirror in various thickness.

Look up plastics on the net or the yellow pages.

Scott Imler
Peter Loughran
View Profile
V.I.P.
Ontario, Canada
2683 Posts

Profile of Peter Loughran
I would suggest an Acrylite Plus or higher, especially when using mirror that you are travelling with.

It is much stronger, crack and scratch resistant.

This is the material we use in our illusions. Keep in mind though that Plexiglas is very very expensive even when you buy it at wholesale.

A good quality of plexiglas is usually a great deal more money than real glass.

Get your wallet open.

Also keep in mind you are going to need a special blade with at least 80-100 teeth on it for your table to saw to cut it.

Lates,

P.
Brand New: - SNAKE BITE ILLUSION
www.masterofillusions.ca

Follow me on Facebook:
https://m.facebook.com/peter.loughran.9

Check out my new movie:
www.plasterrockmovie.com
www.globaluniversal.com

Also visit: www.l2fireworks.com
Tor Egil
View Profile
Elite user
Norway
495 Posts

Profile of Tor Egil
Also keep in mind you are going to need a special blade with at least 80-100 teeth on it for your table to saw to cut it.

Wont it crack when I saw it?
I cant find any mirrors in norway. If I order from the us, do you know if they will ship it to norway?
briansmagic
View Profile
Special user
USA
507 Posts

Profile of briansmagic
Another reason you wouldn't want to use plexi mirror is that it scratches very easily. I have no personal experience w/ it but this is what I have been told.
Peter Loughran
View Profile
V.I.P.
Ontario, Canada
2683 Posts

Profile of Peter Loughran
Tor Egil, It won't crack if you use the right blade, the proper horse powered table saw and the right plexiglas.

Brian, yes it can scratch easily but it usually on the back of the plexiglas. If you use the good stuff the mirror side won't scratch that easily, but if the back grey finish is scratched then you will be able to see thru that scratch from the front. So what we do with our Devil's Reflection illusion is that we cover the back of the mirror with a scratch resistant vinyl covering that is still grey in colour so the mirror still appears untampered with.

P.
Brand New: - SNAKE BITE ILLUSION
www.masterofillusions.ca

Follow me on Facebook:
https://m.facebook.com/peter.loughran.9

Check out my new movie:
www.plasterrockmovie.com
www.globaluniversal.com

Also visit: www.l2fireworks.com
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20495 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Tor Egil,

I understand your problems with finding everything you want in Norway. People unaware of that part of the world would never understand that there are parts of the world where the insistance on quality has resulted in little to no "throw away" mentality. In the USA we think everything is disposable, and therefore everything is always available for replacement. I was very impressed on that quality in Norway when I served on the board of directors of a corporation there. I believe it results in better quality purchasing decisions and a tougher market in which to sell inferior goods.

Yes, what you want is available in the USA. However, it would be slow in coming to you. My suggestion is to look to a French supplier. I don't recommend their plastics because my experience with them has been very poor. However, if this is an illusion that will spend most of its life in storage, availability for your event may be more significant than quality. The show must go on. (I would still use glass, if it is possible. However, it is very heavy.)

Good Luck!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Roberto Gee
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of Roberto Gee
Tor --

Regarding your original question about music, doesn't it depend on the venue? In some situations, something quiet and eerie might work best. In other situations, something rock and loud might be better.

There are always questions of "rights" to music which is not in public domain and for which royalties must be paid if used in a "paying customer" venue.

If you know any musicians, it can be wonderful to work with them once your routine is set. They can "compose" to your work, "punctuate" moments in the routine, etc. Once their work is set, it can be recorded and used again and again.

Perhaps the most effective theatrical music I've heard in contemporary performances is the music from any Cirque du Soleil production. You cannot (legally) use the music, since it's not in public domain. But much of it is available on CD and it's all brilliant and evocative.

Classical composers are usually a good bet (even though recordings by a particular artist or orchestra are copyrighted). The more obscure, the better.

It all depends on the mood you're trying to achieve.

There is some wonderful Arabic music, for instance, that's hugely exciting and "exotic" and dramatic and full of sensual percussion. "Port Said" is one such album, from the '50s, I believe. I could actually see "Walking Through a Mirror" very effectively performed to a musical background from "Port Said."

That type of music in itself provides its own misdirection because it is so viscerally exciting and rhythmic -- and LOUD. It can cover a lot of stage "noises" you might not want noticed.

And of course, if you have absolutely no scruples, you can download ANYTHING from KaZaa (I would recommend KaZaa Lite, since it's ad-free and spyware free), burn in to a CD, and take it from there.
Farrell
View Profile
Veteran user
371 Posts

Profile of Farrell
Plexi mirror is really ugly. I would try to find something like stainless steel. It is heavy, but it looks fantastic onstage.

And if you get a sheet at a small gauge you could get any type of sheet metal chromed. That makes for a mirrorlike finish with no chance of cracking. Oh... and Andrew Mayne has a version of the walk through.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Walking thru a mirror (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL