The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Flash paper (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Felman
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of Felman
I have been asked many times to do something, which involves fire effects, but I have never used flash paper. I am a musician and a bit concerned with the fact that I could burn my fingers with flash paper, so I would be very thankful for advices of good books or videos about this subject.

I saw in Jay Sankey's web store a dvd entitled "Spontaneous Combustion", which I have been thinking to order alongside with some flash paper. Is it a good choice to start with or do you have better suggestions?
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
3242 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
PM Doug Brewer. He does a phenomenal coin routine with flash paper and can probably give you lots of ideas and tips.

To my knowledge, there are no books or videos specifically on the subject of Flash Paper.
TH

Occupy Your Dream
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
There is a book called
flash paper and tips
its by robsin and read
todd
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
User please beware and consult someone who knows. In person mentoring is important in this area. We have a professional magician who also happens to be a captain in the Fire Department.

Yes you can get chemical burns from using this.

One of my friends in College even made some years and years ago.

No I won't mention the formula, but just thinking about the ingredients.

Thoughts on flash papers use brings about a double mind. One side makes my fingers twinge, thinking about the negative side..including accidents of others copying me. The other side, of course is that part of my brain that went to the eye candy of a small flash and production of 1 or a fan of coins at the fingertips.

Been a long, long time since this performer has used it.

I am also a musician and play several instruments.

??? for you and me.

Do I / you have insurance to cover damage. (not Blue Cross and Blue Shield, but ?damage to other peoples property)

Things happen even to professionals with years and years of experience.
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
3242 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
Bowers, Didn't know! Interesting.

Harris makes excellent points. I'd brainstorm for a different less potetial injurious display. Also, flash paper is extremely difficult to control once lit. Just watch Sankey's Spark It Up presentation where he TRIED to aim the little fire ball to his hand OR end table. It didn't work.
TH

Occupy Your Dream
Felman
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of Felman
Thank you for these excellent advices everybody! I was thinking to start with the most "safe looking" effects like Sankey's "In a flash", where you don't have to hold the lit flash paper in your hands nor to throw it anywhere. I will try to find somebody from my region (Finland, Helsinki), who has knowledge with flash paper and who would be willing to help.
Felman
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of Felman
BTW, has anybody used or does anybody use lycopodium powder for flash effects in magic? I used to collect this plant as kid and let it dry over some weeks to get the powder. From what I remember nobody ever burned hands from this stuff, but it is not as practical to use as flash paper, because I think you need to throw it in the air and light it there.
havagrim
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of havagrim
You CAN burn yourself on flash paper, but just be careful and it should be fine. But I never use much at a time however either.

Another fun fire effect wich is pretty safe (everything is potentially dangerous), is the fire wallet. Kaps fire wallet is nice to use with card in wallet. Or just use it as a fire wallet when paying in your local store. I do it sometimes, so fun to see the cashiers reactions when I look away and they see me wallet is on fire Smile

Sankeys in a flash is also good fun. Got it two weeks ago and I have had a lot of fun with it.
Be careful with flashpaper and it shouldnt be a problem, and remember to be careful when you throw it away so it wont land on someone or yourself (how I burned myself, it landed on my arm before it burned out when I was training at home).

I mostly use it when I make a silk vanish (making a cone of flash paper, I "put" the silk in there, and I set it a flame while throwing it up in the air). Always get nice reactions from that.

There is also other cool stuff with flash paper, like money and cards printed on flash paper you could use for cool effects. And you got flash strings and flash cotton to experiment with depending on what you are doing.

Good luck from your neighbour in Sweden Smile

Ronnie Kash
"The world is my playground"
Magician from Sweden.
Felman
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of Felman
Tack så mycket, Ronnie! Smile

Something I am also concerned about is the transportation of flash paper. Sankey's store sends it "wet", but how do you guys transport it? Just carefully or do you have some hints on that?
havagrim
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of havagrim
I dry it before the show at home, and then just transport it in an envolope or in a plastic bag (the small ones you can seal).

Sometimes if I know I will do some magic say at work, I just bring it dried in plastic bag and just put it in my pocket discretly whene I get a chance. Never had any issue with it dried up. I have stored a lot of it dried in a plastic bag with my prop. Usually I have it wet tho, and just remove a piece at a time (or more depending on how much I need).
Magician from Sweden.
Felman
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of Felman
Ok, thanks again!

I think I will order some flash paper and start to practise outside with my fire extinguisher and gloves. Smile
havagrim
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of havagrim
Hehe, sounds like a plan! Good luck, have fun and just be a bit careful and everything should go fine!

People love a good fire!

Ronnie
Magician from Sweden.
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
run off by a mob of Villagers wielding
2109 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
Since the Station nightclub fire in 2003, many venues frown on pyrotechnics of any type.
Even outdoors you may encounter city ordinances requiring a license or permit.

A little flash paper goes a long way and there is nothing to fear as long as you are vigilant as to your surroundings and are well rehearsed with the effect. Prior to 2003, I used fire effects hundreds of times. My only mishap involved a new jacket made by DKNY. It burst into flames nearly as quickly as the flash paper. Luckily I was able to remove and extinguish it without serious injury. The audience erupted in applause, thinking it was all part of the act. The cause was sparkle additive. AVOID IT.

Given the right situation, I'd love to perform "Flash Coins Re-lit" (Eric Jones). However there are many other issues that make it not worth the effort. The combustion creates a very unpleasant odor, especially at close range in restaurants. Also, I've encountered some folks who have extreme dread of fire and will run for the exit.

Fire effects can make for a fun and exciting performance. Even though I'm totally confident with the safety of it, the potential for hassle just isn't worth it. There are other things that are equally spectacular.
"The secret of life is to look good from a distance."
-Charles Schulz
djurmann
View Profile
Inner circle
thinks time to practice and stop writing
1481 Posts

Profile of djurmann
Worldmagicstore.com does a free pdf on flash effects - email them. Scott Penrose did a DVD on flash paper/products....but it is more of an ideas DVD than a here's a trick DVD.

Here are the main points. Good quality new flash paper burns very fast. This is less dangerous than old poor quality flash paper which burns slow.
Do not store lots of it.
Store it in paper/cardboard (seriously)
Do not try to heat it over the radiator/iron/store it in hot places or next to open flames.
Try a small bit first - a piece the size of a playing card I would call a big piece of flashpaper. A piece the size of a business card is fine.....or less (it depends on what you are doing.

Best wishes,

Danny
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
Go to the house of fire web site.
owner rick hasslett and check out
his fire devices.very cool stuff.
I own several items.and if you email
him he will be happy to talk with you about
flash paper.
TheMag1cian
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1274 Posts

Profile of TheMag1cian
Anyone know any ways to vanish cards using flash paper?
patrickmg
View Profile
New user
South Florida
57 Posts

Profile of patrickmg
When I was playing with flash papers almost twenty years ago, I was told to keep it in small metal box and wet. However the metal box would eventually rust, and if you keep the paper too wet you washed away the chemical. I also remember being told instead of using tap water, to use some distilled water with a little bit of potassium nitrate in the solution to avoid washing the paper.

Is there a good summary of all proper care of flash paper available online?
How long can you keep the paper when wet in storage?
How long can you keep it ready for use (dry)?

Now, as a fire inspector, I would ask what's the fire load classification of the paper (Heat release rate)? How much can be legally stored? What are the legal storage requirement for it?
As a fire investigator, I would also like to know the autoignition temperature when dry and wet?

Thanks
Stevie Tricker
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of Stevie Tricker
Quote:
On 2012-11-21 13:17, TheMag1cian wrote:
Anyone know any ways to vanish cards using flash paper?

Tried Flash Cards?

Sound advice there from havagrim.

Can vouch for bowers mention of the Stuart Robson & Ralph w. Read booklet "Flash paper tips" some of its a bit dated but is certainly worth the £3, gives tips for working with it, making flowers out of it and tricks with cards, money, cigarettes, etc as well as gags & stunts.

Good shout to be starting with things like "in a flash" just be wary that when you tell some people to watch closely the move their head to within 50cm of the deck so remember to move them or you prior to lighting. Hope that doesn't sound patronising, I have forgotten that in the heat of the moment when getting comfortable with a new trick. No one was harmed; they just got one hell of a fright.

If you've been playing stringed instruments for long enough then you should have built up some thick skin on the fingertips so you may well be at an advantage when it comes to working with flash paper. You may prefer to lightly moisten the fingertips but its possible to firmly pinch a piece and let it burn down without fear of injury.

Anyone else keeping theirs in a plastic ziplock in the freezer?
Drosselmeyer
View Profile
Regular user
West Hollywood, CA
113 Posts

Profile of Drosselmeyer
Hi,
I have used "fire from bare hand" effect in my show for the last six years to highlight production of dancers from a modern cabinet. I use a "hand pot" which provides excellent protection from burns. The key is that you must be very familiar and comfortable with your materials. Experiment quite a bit to get the effect to perform reliably, consistently, and safely. It is all about handling the materials properly and being very precise in your use of same. Feel free to PM me.
Best Regards,
--Herr Drosselmeyer
Regards,

--Drosselmeyer
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
I sometimes roll a small scrap into a "fuse". The fuse is lit and thrown into the other hand for a coin(s) appearance. Holding out one or several coins as you roll the fuse with both hands is very convincing.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Flash paper (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL