The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Wanting to get into illusions (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Twitch
View Profile
New user
Buckley, WA
80 Posts

Profile of Twitch
I've been into magic for about 2 years now and I've done mostly street and close up, but I really want to start doing stage shows with big illusions.

Does anybody have any suggestions for what would be some good illusions to start with? Thanks for you help.

Josh
Alex Tan
View Profile
Loyal user
Singapore
289 Posts

Profile of Alex Tan
Start with the classics like Subtrunk, Sword basket, Chair Suspension, Head Chopper.

They are classics for a reason. They will also help you learn how to present illusions and not to mention that they are also more cost efficient.

Most importantly, have fun!
Twitch
View Profile
New user
Buckley, WA
80 Posts

Profile of Twitch
Yeah I'm ordering the Sub Trunk plans from Osborne Illusion Systems next week. Is the stuff by Andrew Mayne any good? I've heard mixed reviews of some of his stuff.
Kingry
View Profile
Elite user
Virginia
459 Posts

Profile of Kingry
Make sure you have plenty of storage space, and a means of transportation.
briansmagic
View Profile
Special user
USA
507 Posts

Profile of briansmagic
Sub Trunk was my first illusion and it was a GREAT starter. Although the exchange is difficult to master, it is still a good starter that I highly reccomend. And when you do master the exchange it is well worth the hard work.
M-Illusion
View Profile
Special user
549 Posts

Profile of M-Illusion
I agree...Sub. Trunk is excellent to begin with. Not only is it something that's great for a beginning illusionist, but it's so powerful that it can stay in your shows even long after you've expanded with other illusions.
Twitch
View Profile
New user
Buckley, WA
80 Posts

Profile of Twitch
Yeah I'm definitely going with the sub trunk. What's your opinion on the Asrah levitation? I've always loved this effect but is it a bad one to start with?

Thanks for all the help.
Don
View Profile
Regular user
200 Posts

Profile of Don
It is a bad choice. You can only do it were you have control of the situation. Which means you probably wont use it much. It is better to get iilusions that you can use under all or most circumstances. Then you can use them at all times and get maximum usage and polish the presentation. If you have the money to just spend and don't care if you use it much or can say that you will have control of your staging situation then go for it. But I think you will derive more pleasure and functionality from something you can use.That way you'll be polishing your presentation. entertaing your audience and getting a return from your investment. You guy's agree? Smile
Alex Tan
View Profile
Loyal user
Singapore
289 Posts

Profile of Alex Tan
I definitely agree. Asrah does require you to have full control of the performing area and chances of performing the illusion would be rather limited. Don't make the same mistake I made where I got a Asrah that hasn't been used many times, taking up storage space.
gulamerian
View Profile
Special user
581 Posts

Profile of gulamerian
I have been doing illusions for the past 27 years. When choosing illusions start with ones that can be done surrounded. This way you will be able to use them in any situation.
Good luck.
Twitch
View Profile
New user
Buckley, WA
80 Posts

Profile of Twitch
The nice thing is, is that I do have a stage that I have use of and full control over what I can do there. I've been told I can do a show whenever I'm ready so I'm not too worried about being surrounded, but what are some good Illusions that you can do surrounded?
IllusionJack
View Profile
Veteran user
Las Vegas, Nevada
376 Posts

Profile of IllusionJack
HI Twitch,

I am in the same boat as you are - been into magic a few years with the desire to do illusions. Fortunately, I've had several opportunities to do them over the past few years.

My theory on Illusions is this - they can be very cool, and very amazing. However, they can also be stupid. In my opinion, illusions that make heavy use of colorful boxes are stupid. I'd rather have in my show illusions that will truly amaze people -that have some theatrical or emotional appeal.

The Sub Trunk definitely falls into this category, I think. In the past I've also done a levitation, appearances, a comedy routine based around the idea of turning a girl into a tiger, and even a box illusion that resembles the "stretcher."

I'd like to think I choose them based on the fact that they are unique, or can be presented as unique.

For this reason, I would not choose something like the head chopper, or a simple chair suspension. I wouldn't put an illusion into my show just to have it - I would carefully evaluate WHY I should have it before spending lots of money on something stupid.

If you're going to have a levitation in your show, for example, why not make it the best one you can possibly afford? If just a chair suspension is all you can get, then don't put the levitation in yet. Wait until you can get something classy, where the person will rise from the floor and float at your command.

I am not saying anything here that is new, I am sure most share this opinion. However, I urge you not to buy the same old things everyone else has just so you can do illusions. When choosing them, even if they are classics, make sure you choose carefully!

For what it's worth - I share the opinion of others in recommending the Sub Trunk. This is a classic, and uses a box. However - the audience has no idea it uses a box. To them, it uses a trunk to trap the magician. The effect is truly amazing!

Look forward to hearing about what you decide to buy.

--Jack Smile
philblackmore
View Profile
Regular user
199 Posts

Profile of philblackmore
Also learn some stage magic with smaller props. You are unlikely to be able to fill a show with just illusions initially.

Maybe manipulation or things like zombie, Linking Rings or silk magic. This will give you experience on stage and a chance to develop a stage personality and presence, without spending thousands on illusions.

Try McBride's Magic on Stage videos.
Chair Suspension is a great illusion. It takes up very little space in your van, can be performed surrounded and you can use a member of the audience as your assistant.

Compared to other levitations the effect is strong because you can perform it at the very front of the stage or on the dance floor using chairs that have been used throughout the show. I've performed the chair suspension for years. I've looked into upgrading it, but having a big prop at the very back of the stage is not my style.
Twitch
View Profile
New user
Buckley, WA
80 Posts

Profile of Twitch
Wow thanks for all your help, I've decided to go to go with the Sub Trunk and I'm also getting the first 2 volumes of Paul Osborne's books. I'd love to hear any other suggestions if you have them.
IllusionJack
View Profile
Veteran user
Las Vegas, Nevada
376 Posts

Profile of IllusionJack
Twitch,

Good choice. You will really like the Sub Trunk. Are you going to build it, or buy one?

--Jack Smile
Twitch
View Profile
New user
Buckley, WA
80 Posts

Profile of Twitch
I'm going to build one that way it will match the look that I've devleoped in my shows over the years both magic and DJ wise.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20518 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
The subtrunk is as basic as the thumb tip. Life would never be the same without it. Mine is a Chalet and is on added wheels which have to be blocked up on stage so it will stay put. But that is no problem. The wheels make it very useful as a real packing crate and getting off and on stage fast. It also makes it easy to live with the rest of the time. Remember that most props spend more days in storage than minutes on stage.

You made a good decision. Enjoy!

P.S. Make sure you put better handles on it than you have ever thought anyone would need. They will get tested often by real life off stage.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
djvirtualreality
View Profile
Inner circle
MayfieldNew York
1347 Posts

Profile of djvirtualreality
Where can I find plans on building a Sub Trunk? I would rather buy one, but the ones I have seen are like $1500!!! I'm only 15, I don't have that much money lol. Is there anywhere I could buy one for around $100-$300?
Life is an illusion, death is reality.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20518 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Try

http://www.chaletmagic.com/catalog.html

That is Chalet Magic. I highly recommend them. Lucy and I use six pieces of their equipment in our two-hour show. The price will pleasantly surprise you. The quality will knock you dead. We use it. Some of my Chalet equipment is over twenty years old and still playing shows. In my forty-two years of magic I have had only one piece of Chalet equipment pulled from service because of serious damage. It blew off an outdoor stage in where else? Oklahoma! (Winds there are Texas size! Kansas just gets the wind in movies.) It was not a sub-trunk. The producer bought me another one that I still use. In fact I used it in the two shows Thursday. It is great stuff you will keep.

Good Luck!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
djvirtualreality
View Profile
Inner circle
MayfieldNew York
1347 Posts

Profile of djvirtualreality
Cheaper, but still very expensive. Could I just possible build one? I know how to, but I would like the metal one, not wood.
Life is an illusion, death is reality.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Wanting to get into illusions (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL