The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Wanting to get into illusions (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
IllusionJack
View Profile
Veteran user
Las Vegas, Nevada
376 Posts

Profile of IllusionJack
DJvirtualreality,

When wanting to do the Metamorphosis illusion I ran into the same problem -- too much $$$! Every once in a while you can find a nice cheap one for $400 on eBay or on magicauction.com.

So I decided to build on myself and did so for probably a couple hundred $. It is not as nice as one I could have bought but it serves the purpose. I bought the plans from Misdirections Magic in San Fran. DO NOT repeat DO NOT buy the plans from Tannen's because they will screw you over. Smile

It turned out nicely. If you want a video of me doing it, send me a PM!

--Jack Smile
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20518 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Jack,

How do you rate the quality of the plans from Misdirections? What was included in the package? Which of their plans do you recommend? I especially want a nest of boxes. But for what I want to do, they will need to be custom work.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
JSMagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Boston
202 Posts

Profile of JSMagic
Hey, In mark wilsons course in magic (10 bucks, small thick black book) theres some stuff on a few stage illusions. Check it out - the only thing I can remember is a tip over trunk (how to build it) - but theres more. Josh
If a magician is not intending to "trick" a spectator, why is every "trick" called a magic "trick"?
Evan Williams
View Profile
Elite user
439 Posts

Profile of Evan Williams
Hi DJvirtualreality,

I just finished my sub-trunk the other day! It ended up costing me roughly $100. $50 for a kit I found with all the hardware (locks, metal corner pieces, hinges for the trunk, hardware needed to make the gimmick, etc) and about another $50 for wood.

Fortunatly, I have a grandfather that has a full shop in his basement. With his help and the tools he had, it came out great.

I also contructed a curtain to use for the illusion for about $20.

Grand total of about $120 for everything. The only other accessory I might buy for this illusion is a mail sack or some kind of escape shackels.

Use your resorces and look for good sales/kits for everything you need. Just some advise since I'm in your shoes (being an average, broke 15 year old Smile )

Hope this gives you some ideas,

Evan
knightmagic98
View Profile
Regular user
Frisco, TX
142 Posts

Profile of knightmagic98
Evan,

I hope you get Jonathan's permission before using the Pendragon's cloth handling.
IllusionJack
View Profile
Veteran user
Las Vegas, Nevada
376 Posts

Profile of IllusionJack
Hi Evan,

Indeed, you may not know, but that cloth tear move is something Jon Pendragon came up with. David Copperfield also got Jonathan's permission to use a similar move in his "Cocoon" illusion. It is cool though. Perhaps you can invent a new move that looks just as cool?

Anyways that's sweet that you made it for $#120. Where will you be performing it?

AmazedWiz -

The only plans I bought from Misdirections were that of the sub trunk. They were the Paul Osborne illusion plans. I received a large blueprint as well as a packet of instructions explaining how to build and perform the effect. They were both of good quality, and the customer service at that shop was superior to any other magic shop I've dealt with.

--Jack Smile
David Garrity
View Profile
Special user
520 Posts

Profile of David Garrity
Evan,

I believe that writing a post that encourages others to steal someone's hard work (Pendragon's cloth handling for the Sub Trunk) is extremely bad judgment.

Other people's acts are not a catalog for anyone to pick and choose what they would like to take. Unless it has been published it is not yours for the taking. Jonathan Pendragon spent a long time working on that variation for HIS show, not yours.

Seems that I remember a thread a few months back where you announced that you were going to make your own "Kevin James Bowl-A-Rama" as well.

There are a number of effects/illusions in magic where the originator of the effect is not clear or is in the public domain. However, with these two items the lineage is very clear. And by just taking them you are showing a major disrespect for magic and the designers who work hard within this field.

I am not sure which is worse, the fact that you are stealing this proprietary material for use in your own show without compensating the designer or the fact that you are posting this behavior where all the world can see.

I don't mean this to be a personal attack. But I posted this in hoping that you would change the way you currently add material to your show before it comes back to bite you later.

Sincerely,
Evan Williams
View Profile
Elite user
439 Posts

Profile of Evan Williams
Hi guys,

First off, I am sorry for any kind of misunderstandings I have written. The first one on my part, being that I did not know it was specifically his idea of that type of change. I plan on not using that in my show at all now. I will come up with a change of my own.

About the "Bowl-A-Rama", mine is completly different than the marketed version Kevin James sells. The gimmick itself is completly different, and I spent hours thinking and designing my version. Also, the routine is different since it has an added kicker that makes it even more powerful that is NOT possible with James' trick at all.

Yes, I started designing my version after seeing Kevin's, but the gimmicks and illusions are so different I see no problem with me building it.

I guess the only thing I really "borrowed" from Kevin James was his idea of making something big produced from a sketchpad. Think of all T&R card effects. They all have the same idea, a card is signed, then ripped up, and restored. The same general idea, except the handling and gimmicks being different. No stealing. If the handling/gimmicks were the same, then of course it would be stealing. Since they have their own ideas, the effect is not stolen. I think the same goes for this.

As you can see, I am a young and immature magician and still have a lot to learn. These are some of the types of things I came to the Café to learn, and they have been helpful in multiple ways.

I hope this clears some things up and rights the wrong.

Evan
Paul Mazzoni
View Profile
New user
Chicago
13 Posts

Profile of Paul Mazzoni
Hi,

I would like to thank all of you for the advice that you have posted here. I have also been performing magic for a few years now and would like to do larger more elaborate stage productions. I built my own Sub Trunk(the first and only illusion I perform thus far) for about $200 and it does its job.

As you all know when performing most illusions(especially Sub Trunk which seems to be the most popular) you need an assistant. I was lucky enough to have a friend that was available to help me with my shows. She is no longer available to perform with me and I was wondering if anybody would give me some advise as to how a begining illusionist can go about finding an assistant.

Thank you and have a magical day,
Paul Mazzoni

p.s. this was the first time I have been on the magic Café and it was a positive experience.
IllusionJack
View Profile
Veteran user
Las Vegas, Nevada
376 Posts

Profile of IllusionJack
Well,

Here are some of the things I have done to some success in the past in finding an assistant:

Went to my old high school and asked the performing arts teacher to ask if anyone was interested, Got 2 assistants this way.

Randomly asked a server at a restaurant I was eating at.

Contact a modeling agency (works only if you have some $$$ I have found)

Hired a girl who had one of those internet modeling sites and was available independent of an agency. She turned out to be the best one I'd had!

Those are all ways that worked for me. I am sure there are many others! Oh, I also asked at one of those small dance studios too, and got some interest that way.

--Jack Smile
johnnymystic
View Profile
Inner circle
North Adams Ma.
1576 Posts

Profile of johnnymystic
Some advice on finding an assistant...find a nice young lady that likes magic and if your lucky enough marry her! Smile

Worked for me, plus she might have a harder time quiting on you for she will probably like the money you make.

Johnny Mystic
I drink cheap tequila and vomit
<BR>I cannot eat hot wings...acid reflux
<BR>I never inhale Smile
<BR>I can put a field dress on a deer
Twitch
View Profile
New user
Buckley, WA
80 Posts

Profile of Twitch
I was also wondering about assistants even though my show is still in the planning stages I'm going to need one soon enough.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Go to a dancing school and audition some ladies.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Paul Mazzoni
View Profile
New user
Chicago
13 Posts

Profile of Paul Mazzoni
Hello,

I appreciate all of the advice on getting an assistant. Although I do now wish to get married so I think I will try the schools and dance studios. For me right now I think that will be the best way to go.

Magically,
Paul Mazzoni
magictim
View Profile
Veteran user
Fayetteville, Arkansas
396 Posts

Profile of magictim
If anyone is interested I still have illusion works vids for sale.
Plaz
View Profile
New user
Chicago
6 Posts

Profile of Plaz
Well I have also been doing illusion shows for a couple of years and started out with a sub trunk that I made. It’s a great trick and I love it. You can try to find assistants through friends and also family if you want to go that route. As far as good tricks you can do surrounded, I have a few that I like that can be done surrounded and they are sub trunk, doll house, crystal box, and cube zag.
Thanks,
Plaz
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20518 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Illusion Jack,

Thanks for your appraisal of the plans and kit. It's always nicer to get the story from some one who has been separated from his money first and see if he is still happy. You sound like a happy customer. We all like that!

Thanks again.

Posted: Dec 4, 2003 2:31pm
--------------------------------
Finding an assistant -

Johnny Mystic, I agree with you. I married mine. And now I am her assistant some of the time. She learned from Pam Hayes (Mrs. Johnny Thompson) the importance of owning your own magician. (Those lectures are dangerous! It was a SCAM convention.)

Pete Biro, I agree with you too! Lucy was a ballerina, model and taught modeling in Los Angeles before becoming a physician. At the tender age of 63, she still dances two nights a week. That lady is a great partner in the show and adds a lot of class to this old cowboy’s act. Her training is very valuable in selecting volunteers from the audience that move well. (I can use ALL the misdirection I can get!)

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
IllusionJack
View Profile
Veteran user
Las Vegas, Nevada
376 Posts

Profile of IllusionJack
AmazedWiz -

No problem. I just got the sub trunk out again for a show coming up on the 22nd and it’s still holding together nicely. I think I built it a little big, and the trap could stand to be a bit more deceptive, but it works. I might rebuild the lid. For those of you who I told I would get a sub trunk video to, I will still! I need to finish editing it then it'll be sent to you in Quicktime format.

--Jack Smile
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20518 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Jack,

I've never had an assistant complain about having too much room. Besides, I have the easy part of the subtrunk routine anyway. My job is just to get out. Lucy's job is to get in, fast.

You do know that some people use two subtrunk tops. One solid one that is displayed on the trunk in the lobby before or after the show and the real one used in the show. Since mine is a Chalet and won't open from the outside, I just show it closed and locked to the rest of the world. (In fact I use a huge Key-Rect Lock that is used earlier in the show. "There shall be no working key before it's time.")

If your trap rattles, clear silicone from the tube will work to make some "bumpers" that just look like a blemish in the finish. Be very sure it is dry before the surfaces touch. Closed, there should be nothing to see.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Kendrix
View Profile
Loyal user
224 Posts

Profile of Kendrix
I agree with Pete Biro. Dancers make the best assistants. I would stick with ones trained in Ballet, Jazz, Modern over Hip-hop. I have found it very hard "to teach" the ability to get in and out of an illusion in a graceful manner.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Wanting to get into illusions (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL