The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Wanting to get into illusions (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
IllusionJack
View Profile
Veteran user
Las Vegas, Nevada
376 Posts

Profile of IllusionJack
Hi AmazedWiz-

I thought about doing the 2-lid method, but the show I built it for didn't have a lobby display, nor did anyone inspect the box before the show, after the show, or during the show. During my next show, however, I will allow the opportunity to inspect, briefly, and I will hold the lid in a certain way so that it can be shown. It's not perfect because I built it with my friend, in retrospect maybe I should have bought one but this one works and it amazes people, so I am happy. Smile

I also thought it would be cool to build a trunk with 2 traps both top and back. That could provide for some cool ways of getting in and out! The best of both worlds in a manner of speaking.

I also get out, rather than into, the box. I think it makes more sense - the magician escapes, rather than the assistant escapes. This makes it seem more like the magician is the one doing something magical. I love the idea of this illusion and right now I do a very basic, traditional performance - I am always trying to think of cool ways to change it up that haven't been done by someone else already!

--Kack Smile
gulamerian
View Profile
Special user
581 Posts

Profile of gulamerian
Start with the classics. Sub Trunk, Zig Zag, Head Chopper. Also your first illusion should be something you can close with. If you start a show with an illusion and don't do another later, it's kind of a let down.
MagicbyZak
View Profile
New user
Northerrn NJ
2 Posts

Profile of MagicbyZak
Just the other day I was on google.com searching for info on sub trunks and I stumbled upon: http://www.infantino.net/subtrunk.html can someone check this out and let me know what they think? Actually during my search the other day I stumbled across all of you here at this 24 hr Magic Café. What an awesome site looks fantastic. Just signed in this morning for the first time and have found so much information just here alone on what I originally was looking for. I also came across another site that has an All in One Illusion show: http://www.magiccrafters.com/beta-test/page3.html does anyone have any feed back about this?

I am in the same boat as a couple of others, wanting to get into bigger Illusions. I wasn’t sure what it was that I wanted to invest in first and really wanted to do more research. My apartment already looks like a magic shop but with out the bigger Illusions.

I checked out http://www.chaletmagic.com/catalog.html, which AmazedWiz recommended and that looks good as well.

I was a bite confused when I read about Evan Williams using the Pendragon's cloth handling. Was there something I missed from another posting or did someone see something on his website. All I recall him stating was “ I also constructed a curtain to use for the illusion for about $20”. I am just curious how that post lead to that fact that he was using someone else’s handling. I do respect Evan for writing such a great reply in his defense and it is true that ignorance is bliss. Not saying that Evan is ignorant because he doesn’t seem to be especially having a website that I wished my own looked like. But maybe when I get my new PC I can spend more time on updating it since I only put it together in the beginning of this year and spent like 2 hrs on it and that was it.

So besides Misdirections plans and the book from the website I mentioned above http://www.infantino.net/subtrunk.html is there any others that anyone would like to share?

Evan Williams,

Where did you buy the kit for $50?

I look forward to hearing from all and any of you.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20514 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Thanks for the shared homework. (I don't even have to spell subtrunk!)

Jack,

Never apologize for the "basic standard" performance. Much of magic is like classical music. We'll do it over and over until we get it right. The audience loves it and expects it. It is classic because it works! Why should you expect to find a good way to put on your shoes before your socks? Some problems don't need solving.

Think OUTSIDE the trunk!

Bob
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Twitch
View Profile
New user
Buckley, WA
80 Posts

Profile of Twitch
I got my Osborne sub trunk plans yesterday and I'm heading over to Home Depot tomorrow to get started on this thing. Out of curiosity, does anybody know of an Illusion similar to Criss Angels "scarecrow" where your assistant actually passes thru your body? I've seen it a ton throughout the years, but not where I can find it.
Evan Williams
View Profile
Elite user
439 Posts

Profile of Evan Williams
Hi MagicbyZak,

First, that post led to the fact that I was using some else's idea was because I ended up taking out one line of it. It said something like, "this worked similar to the Pendragon's where it will rip down the middle." Was it exactly like his? Not at all, I had put a lot of thought into it and also gimmicking the cloth.

I did put that cloth away, seeing as it will never see a public performance. Instead I made up something of my own which has been working like a charm.

Actually, concerning grand illusion I am quite clueless and "ignorant". I am an amateur working close-up and kid show magician, but my stage show is far from being completed. I was glad that I was straight up told that I am not allowed to use that idea, and that someone else owns it. I was not pleased when people right away thought I already knew what I was doing, was completely wrong, and did it anyway. I am learning, and do not know who invented and owns the rights to every little idea in stage illusion.

About the $50 kit full of all the hardware; I actually have no idea where it came from. It was a present from my grandpa who helped me build it. I'm sure if you look around online at lumber crafts and project stores, you will come across something that will work.

Evan
J.S.llusionDesigns
View Profile
Regular user
118 Posts

Profile of J.S.llusionDesigns
If you do levitation, do not worry too much about getting the new models. Old ones are good; also the people do not know the difference.
Joe Smith Illusion Designs
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Wanting to get into illusions (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL