The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » New Roberto Giobbi book: Confidences (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
duanebarry
View Profile
Special user
883 Posts

Profile of duanebarry
Announced today from Hermetic Press:

Confidences by Roberto Giobbi

8 routines, 3 essays, lots of thinking and well-considered writing, 275 pages.

http://www.hermeticpress.com/product_info.php?products_id=71

The linked page has a PDF preview.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
5964 Posts

Profile of motown
Good to know.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3261 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
A new book from Hermrtic Press, what more is there to say.
Pictured to the left my hero and me during FISM 2006 in Stockholm.
Steven Leung
View Profile
Inner circle
found the Magic Rainbow after
1606 Posts

Profile of Steven Leung
Quote:
On 2012-11-10 08:11, Peo Olsson wrote:
A new book from Hermrtic Press, what more is there to say.

Get it!
Most memorable moment - with Maestro Juan Tamariz & Consuelo Lorgia in FISM Busan 2018.

"Being fooled by a trick doesn't always mean they are having a good time" - Homer Liwag

https://hhpresents.com/
https://www.glitchstudiohk.com/
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3261 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
Oh, I will!
Magic Pierre
View Profile
Loyal user
211 Posts

Profile of Magic Pierre
Mine arrived yesterday. Of course it's beautifully done. As far as the writing is concerned, I think Giobbi is a genius. I haven't tried to learn anything in this book yet, but I'm lovin' reading it.
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3261 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
Hopefully my copy will arrive sometime around christmas and new year.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
5964 Posts

Profile of motown
This one is on my list,as is his up coming deck switch book.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
ljsviol
View Profile
Veteran user
345 Posts

Profile of ljsviol
I received my pre-order yesterday. It's still sealed (I get to open it up on Christmas day!).

Curiously, it seems about the size of a pocket diary - 5.25 inches by 7.25 inches (275 pages, according to the Hermetic website). Given the title, "Confidences", that seems quite appropriate to seem like a diary. -)

Larry S,
brehaut
View Profile
Inner circle
kentucky
2529 Posts

Profile of brehaut
See that Penguin has this as of today
PapaG
View Profile
Special user
751 Posts

Profile of PapaG
Any reviews/thoughts on this book yet?
the fritz
View Profile
Special user
645 Posts

Profile of the fritz
It is very pretty looking, stylistically similar (though much smaller in size) to Secret Agenda. Stephen Minch puts out some very classy books. Too busy reading some others I received from Santa to dive into the contents yet, though it is Giobbi so it is virtually guaranteed to be a winner. No need for a review... the quality will be there when this author and publisher team up.
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
3880 Posts

Profile of JanForster
In a sum: It is a wonderful read with some true gems! With one of the routines Roberto fooled me badly last April. Nice to see how he did accomplish that. Back in April I did not want to know the working as I wanted to rethink it besides the fact that Roberto told me that it will be in his book. Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
5964 Posts

Profile of motown
I'd be interested to here more about the routines in this book.
– Karl Germain
alexhui
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong
1952 Posts

Profile of alexhui
In short, the book consists of 7 card effects plus 3 essays on controlling cards, vanishing coins and small objects, and a chapter about Erdnase's classic, The Expert at the Card Table.

In the book description it is mentioned 'eight of his prize routines.', but in fact one is a opening sequence for Cups and Balls, definitely not a routine.

I'd better describe the effects in the book as effects but not routines so that you won't think it is a complete routines with more than 1 effects, which usually what we magicians think.

The book size per se is like Eric Mead's Tangled Web but thicker. You may surpised at the small size when you received it but not the content.

Here are very brief desciption of the effects:

The Deck of Miss Opportunities: You correctly name a 'Name' written on the back of a thought-of-card.
Tally-Ho: A version of Henry Christ's Tally-Ho
Guaranteed!: A conincidence effect using Guaranteed card.
The Fine Print: A short tranposition effect.
Seven: A count-to-the-selection effect which involves a clever principle and presentation.
The Card in the Mirror Of the Mind: A thought-of-a-card effect with use of mirror.
The Trick that Andy Warhol Could Have Explained: A version of Dai Vernon's famous trick. This effect is also marketed as an individual product recently. http://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic/c......plained/

To readers who are looking for visual effects, the book is not for you. There are no Triumph, Reset, Color Change etc kinds of effects. And I guess to most readers, the book seems to linger too long on the internal structure and theories even on 'simple' effects.

I personally love the theories because these teach the 'meat' of not only a particular effect, but also help the readers to understand magic better.

The most rewarding chapter I found is the essay on 'Thoughts on Control' – a 76 pages chapter on theories about card control. I didn't expect such fruitful reading on a topic which sounds such familiar.

Since 4 of the effects involves props (if you count Tally-Ho case as a prop), you may find very few effects to put into your repretoire if you are the one who only use normal deck of cards.

Here is my take: At the price tag of $47, you can obtain other books if you are looking for lots of different effects. But if you are interested in structure of magic and theories to improve your overall performance, you may invest in this book. For me, the book is a little bit expensive but I didn't regret buying it.

Hope this short review helps.

Alex Hui
To support 100% honest and unbiased reviews: Donate by PayPal

For BRUTALLY HONEST consultation for your upcoming projects, PM me.

YouTube: Alex Magic Review
YouTube: Themis Magic World
Instagram: @AlexMagicReview
Instagram: @ThemisMagic
Markymark
View Profile
Inner circle
1562 Posts

Profile of Markymark
Very helpful.Thank you Alex.
''In memory of a once fluid man,crammed and distorted by the classical mess'' -Bruce Lee
Glen Guldbeck
View Profile
New user
Leesburg, VA
81 Posts

Profile of Glen Guldbeck
Was checking out the book last night. "Guaranteed" is a very cool use of Elmsley's principle from his effect "Weight". And per Alex above, the "Thoughts on Control" essay is very insightful. All you'd expect from Mr. Giobbi!!!
Hansel
View Profile
Inner circle
Puerto Rico
2492 Posts

Profile of Hansel
10/10 From Me !
Follow Me...
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Hansels-Comedy-and-Magic-Show-929625643774678/
Youtube: HanselSP
Twitter: @HanselSP
Instagram: HanselSP
Wilber
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of Wilber
The Tally Ho trick is fun to do. It involves spelling, but the plot is very intriguing.
alexhui
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong
1952 Posts

Profile of alexhui
Quote:
On 2013-01-16 19:51, Dj_Qbert wrote:
The Tally Ho trick is fun to do. It involves spelling, but the plot is very intriguing.

Harry Lorayne has a trick similar to this one with Bicycle. In fact, I am not very excited about the Tally Ho trick in the book since it is an very old trick but Mr. Giobbi has not added much new exciting elements in it. Just my 2 cents.

Alex Hui
Hong Kong
To support 100% honest and unbiased reviews: Donate by PayPal

For BRUTALLY HONEST consultation for your upcoming projects, PM me.

YouTube: Alex Magic Review
YouTube: Themis Magic World
Instagram: @AlexMagicReview
Instagram: @ThemisMagic
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » New Roberto Giobbi book: Confidences (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL