The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » New Roberto Giobbi book: Confidences (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
KLG
View Profile
Veteran user
Hong Kong
347 Posts

Profile of KLG
Really love the "Thoughts on Control" chapter.
korttihai_82
View Profile
Inner circle
Finland
1803 Posts

Profile of korttihai_82
The deck of missed opportunities is great presentation and method is good as well but it was already mentioned in some of the older writings by Giobbi. Rest of the routines were not my cup of tea. Although it was interesting to read his work on trick that can not be explained since it is sold separately for almost same price as the book. But for me this was perhaps the 2nd weakest of all Giobbi books. Weakest being secret Agenda.

J-M
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
5965 Posts

Profile of motown
What didn't you like about Secert Agenda?
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
korttihai_82
View Profile
Inner circle
Finland
1803 Posts

Profile of korttihai_82
Well. When compared to its price to its content Secret Agenda was rather pricey. I also felt that loooots of the material in there was a filler. Some of the quotes, pictures and so on. Especially the pictures. For someone like Giobbi they might have sentimental value, for common reader they don't offer anything. Also the book could have been half the size if it was written in different format. There is a lot of white space on almost every page. Also the format doesn't really suit Giobbi style of writing. He likes to take his time and use his space on explaining different things. In Secret Agenda most stuff was just few sentences long so they don't even scratch the surface Smile

But that said, there were few really good ideas in Secret Agenda as well. But I personally found it rather weak after reading all the other works of Giobbi and keeping em in such high regard.

J-M
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
5965 Posts

Profile of motown
Thanks for your response.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
the fritz
View Profile
Special user
645 Posts

Profile of the fritz
Just finished reading this book and I will add my thoughts. The reviews seem to range from "it's okay" to "it's great." I am in the "it's great" camp. Honestly, I was thinking of selling this book before I read it because I thought, "do I really need another book of card tricks and theoretical analyses of them?" I already have most of Darwin Ortiz's stuff and Eugene Burger's stuff, along with the entire Card College series (both books and dvds)... don't forget to throw in Secret Agenda and it all makes for the same type of reading. So I decided to read it before putting it up for sale. I am glad I did. This book has now made it very close to the top of my "never part with" list. It is excellent stylistically, the essays are poignant, sensible, thorough and certainly thought-provoking, and the effects are all within reach of the the average cardician. I am very pleased to have this on my shelf and I can guarantee it is book I will return to again and again. The essay on controls fluently articulated thoughts I have had for years but was never really able to make sense of, and I think the section on Erdnase is one of the most practical essays I have ever read on the subject. All in all, a very well done book. Worth the asking price, in my opinion.
magicthree
View Profile
Special user
520 Posts

Profile of magicthree
Would you guys say his "trick that cannot be explained" is worth it as a single trick.
the fritz
View Profile
Special user
645 Posts

Profile of the fritz
Are you referring to the trick in general, or the version in this book? Giobbi has a slightly different take to make this trick a no-fail effect and his version is described here.
magicthree
View Profile
Special user
520 Posts

Profile of magicthree
Fritz, I was referring to the trick in general. Didn't know that the book has a different version. Best bet is probably just buy the book, thanks.
the fritz
View Profile
Special user
645 Posts

Profile of the fritz
Magicthree,

I can't really imagine anyone being disappointed in Giobbi's version of this. In the book it is called "The Trick That Andy Warhol Could Have Explained." If you are interested in this trick, I think Roberto's ideas are good and very practical. I really liked the whole book, and I don't have a stake in whether or not he or Hermetic Press sell anything. I don't know and have never met either Roberto Giobbi or Stephen Minch and probably never will. Just calling a good book when I see it (at least for me).
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » New Roberto Giobbi book: Confidences (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL