The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » MAK Magic DVD: Steve Branham's "The Bill Switch" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Mike Ince
View Profile
Inner circle
2014 Posts

Profile of Mike Ince
In preparing to help my friend demonstrate at his magic store, I have just viewed the "The Bill Switch" DVD marketed by MAK Magic. The TT handling looks fishy when Mr. Branham does it. In fact, most of the handlings included seem too careful (if you were to really fold a bill then unfold it, you wouldn't handle it like a grenade about to explode, all the while nervously sticking out your tongue). Of the other routines, "In the Trash" looked promising but because of severe angles is too constrictive for real life performances, unless you're sitting directly across from your spectators in a restaurant booth. The "Himber Switch" effect is well-executed (and should be since it's simple) but it draws attention to the special wallet, not the magic. Spectators will credit the wallet, not the magician, with special abilities.

After I watched the DVD, I watched a few included previews of other DVDs released by the same company, MAK Magic. I didn't like those previews either - they didn't appear to bring anything new or worthwhile to magic; they seem only to add clutter to a market that's saturated with mediocrity. Same old ideas and methods, only performed with half the effort and forethought. I think this DVD is schlock and I've worked in a magic store for over 20 years; I know schlock when I see it. I wish I had more positive things to say. My advice is to skip it; there are better ways to learn the bill switch and individuals more deserving of your money. MAK magic needs to raise their standards for their video line or stick to garishly stenciling plywood boxes. I'm sure MAK will sell plenty of these DVDs regardless of my review. Shame on them for being such lazy capitalists.

As John Carney put it, "good enough is the mantra of the mediocre."
The secret of deception is in making the truth seem ridiculous.
Jamie Ferguson
View Profile
Inner circle
Alba Gu Brŕth
3642 Posts

Profile of Jamie Ferguson
Thanks for the warning Mike.

This sounds like absolute tripe.

It's bad for magic when this sort of stuff is released as credible teaching material.
When the chips are down, the duvet is uncomfortable.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » MAK Magic DVD: Steve Branham's "The Bill Switch" (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL