We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Mind Reading - story (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9135 Posts

Profile of funsway
If you lived here you’d be home now

One of life’s common fantasies is being able to read another person’s mind. Some performers even pretend to be able to do that for entertainment. I’m writing this to set you straight, seeing as I can read minds and knowing you don’t really want to. It’s not an ability at all – it’s a curse!

First off, their mind is not just holding a single thought waiting to be grabbed. It is thinking about a jillion things at once while you wish to focus on a single thought of importance to you. Neither is their mind a refrigerator with needly packaged thoughts that you can select at will when hunger strikes. You never get to just reach in and pull out some tid-bit of information that might suit your needs. No, you get whatever is at the forefront of that person’s attention at the moment – and it is most often untrue, unimportant, irrational and boring. In a group of people you don’t even get to choose whose mind to read and can easily be wrong about who it is. Remember that song, “If you could read my mind?” All about castles dark and a sad guy in chains. Now why would you wish to know that about some gent across from you on the bus?

Yeah – ride bus with a thousand passengers all shouting at once. Shouting about what is important to them and not what is important to you. Suddenly you get a flash that some one is planning to go home and kill his wife! You do not know who it is nor when this will happen. Great, you can read minds. Now what? Oops, a bird strikes the window and you are assaulted with a hundred shrieks of fear or panic or alarm.
I know that you dream of going to Vegas and knowing what the dealer’s hold card is. Poker – piece of cake, but how often do you win without creating suspicion? Maybe you feel your next marriage will be successful if you know the truth of your spouse’s thoughts. Yeah, right! Wouldn’t it be great to know what questions your professor plans to put on the final exam? Sure beats studying and actually learning something. Fact is, in the last twenty years I have never learned the truth about anything. All I have is troubled memories of hundreds of lies people tell themselves to avoid being blamed. Mind reading isn’t a Google search for a key piece of knowledge, it is opening your eMail and finding nothing but spam messages.
You might be considering of how you would have the discipline to shield yourself from the drivel and focus on a specific person under controlled conditions. You are going to win that million bucks! There is only one snag. By focusing your will in this manner you also open yourself to be read by others. Do you really want your thoughts read by another – to give them access to your soul? Did you really fantasize that mind reading was like a one-way mirror? Remember that intense light when the optometrist peered into your eye? Now imagine some stranger wandering around in your head with a Light-Saber. No, you do not what the ability to read minds.

But I can. The question is how I survive without going insane – more insane! I could watch more TV and uTube and fill my mind with random clutter, carefully suppressing any original thought. I could stick something in my ear that would block out all impressions of here and now. If I only listen to songs already known and words of friends who think exactly as I do there can be no danger. Best thing is that no one would ever wish to read my mind! No, I have found a better way.

See that woman over there by the window just laughing at the colored leaves tumbling down? She has Alzheimer’s and has forgotten how to lie and pretend. She has very few thoughts at all any more, but those are real and pure and clear. She no longer cares to try and read mind. Relatives stand about wishing she could tell them what they want to hear – of how important they are to her. She would rather laugh at leaves. I share her simple thoughts and I can laugh too. For a moment I can feel at home.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Woodfield
View Profile
Special user
749 Posts

Profile of Woodfield
That was wonderful!

Woodfield
TJ Halford
View Profile
Elite user
431 Posts

Profile of TJ Halford
Nice story. I rather enjoyed this. Almost poetic there at the end (not in structure, but in meaning)
TJ Halford

"Imagine what is Possible"
Danyel
View Profile
Loyal user
Italy
293 Posts

Profile of Danyel
Very, very nice. Congratulations.
'People who lean on logic and philosophy and rational exposition
end by starving the best part of the mind' -William Butler Yeats
jakubr
View Profile
Veteran user
327 Posts

Profile of jakubr
I love it Smile
Ray Bertrand
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1425 Posts

Profile of Ray Bertrand
Thanks Funsway. Made for an interesting read as usual.

Ray
Mentalism in Ontario.
Sean Giles
View Profile
Inner circle
Cambridge/ UK
3727 Posts

Profile of Sean Giles
That's great Funsway. Loved it Smile

best
Sean
PaulPacific
View Profile
Special user
Yes, I used my toes to type all of my
892 Posts

Profile of PaulPacific
Enchanting!
Blessings on thee, little man,
barefoot boy with cheeks of tan...
Outward sunshine; inward joy,
Blessings on thee, barefoot boy! :-D
Second Sight
View Profile
Regular user
Ireland
156 Posts

Profile of Second Sight
Stumbled on this old post through a google search. I'm bumping it because it's beautiful.
friend2cptsolo
View Profile
Elite user
Spent all this time on the Cafe' and all I have to show for it is
442 Posts

Profile of friend2cptsolo
Thanks 2nd Sight for bumping this back up, and thanks Funsway for writing it.
false_awakening
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of false_awakening
Quote:
On Feb 7, 2017, Second Sight wrote:
I'm bumping it because it's beautiful.

I agree.

So much of what could be "read" is illusion, maya, or "a striving after wind".

Thank you funsway and second sight.
friend2cptsolo
View Profile
Elite user
Spent all this time on the Cafe' and all I have to show for it is
442 Posts

Profile of friend2cptsolo
"you get whatever is at the forefront of that person’s attention at the moment – and it is most often untrue, unimportant, irrational and boring."
I really like this line.

There is a certain poetic cadence to the section "It is most often untrue, unimportant, irrational and boring."

and yes the end thought is very neat....you pull out a leaf that is secretly hooked up to I.T. , and it tumbles in the air for just a brief second.....?
barthez36663
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of barthez36663
Really good one!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Mind Reading - story (4 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL