The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Pad (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MRReed
View Profile
New user
Lake Odessa, MI
58 Posts

Profile of MRReed
I've searched the Café but can't find what I'm looking for, so I'll ask.

I want to make a small (approx. 12" x 24") pad. What material will grip the edge of a card so it can be easily and surely flipped over with another card, rather than just sliding along the surface?

Thanks for any and all ideas.

Mike
The Affordable Card Presses
1-, 2- and 4-deck Presses at Card Presses
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
I have used velvet and felt to cover close-up pads. I have also used automobile headliner material to cover larger surfaces such as tables. All of these seem to "grip" the cards well for spreading, so I assume they will do what you need.

Amos McCormick
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Dr. TORA
View Profile
Inner circle
TURKEY
1447 Posts

Profile of Dr. TORA
My solution maybe a little bit weird. I am using a small carpet for the purpose and believe me it is the best. I have even sent some of my foreign friends some samples to test. All agree it is better than the traditional pads. Smile Smile Smile
Magically Yours,

OZLEN TUNCER /Dr.TORA

Have you visited my new Website in English, yet?

www.magictora.com or www.torasmagic.com
MRReed
View Profile
New user
Lake Odessa, MI
58 Posts

Profile of MRReed
Thanks for the info, Amos and Ozlen ;-)

I've tried a number of carpet samples and none have worked satisfactorily for my intentions. I believe velvet or velveteen will, and will give that a try.

Mike
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
Instead of the small carpet samples, usually loop style, seek some of the small rugs one finds in the import shops. Be aware, some of them are intended to be prayer rugs, and depending on your audience, you could cause consternation. I have one that is a small decorator rug of the card playing dogs....the surface is a cut weave so it looks like deep velvet.
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20514 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
If there is one thing that should be available in Michigan, it is headliner material for automobiles. It does a good job of staying flat, has a foam back to kill noise (of coins, etc.) and comes in many colors. Cards work great on it. Here it is about $7.00 a yard. There it should be near free. Treat the edges with Ravel Stop from the fabric shop or clear fingernail polish. I have found that it is difficult to get dirty too! They must treat it with something.
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
The only drawback to the headliner material is that it usually seems to come in more muted colors. I'm sure that "candy apple red", "royal blue", "forest green", etc. are probably available somewhere, but most of the cars I see have the more muted colors, and that's what our shop carries.

Be sure to ask whether the shop has colors that might have been discontinued or small, leftover quantities that they might have a very limited use for. I got some darker blue that was big enough for my table, but too small for the shop to use, for about $2.50 a yard.

Amos McCormick
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20514 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
There is upholstery spray that custom body shops use that can change the color of the headliner material. And it comes in from mild to wild!

You might also check with a divers' shop for wet suit material with the rubber backing. Those colors can be very wild too!

I want Amos in charge of the money. He gets a deal! Way to go Amos.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
martini
View Profile
Special user
delta, pennsylvania
543 Posts

Profile of martini
Greetings Mike: Try this- get a piece of 1/4 inch birch or other good grade plywood, sand the four edges and slightly bevel the top and bottom edges of each of the four sides with a 220 grit sandpaper on a wood block. Once the board is smooth along the edges, Take a piece of medium density foam (Available at any good Upholstering shop, and sometimes at good fabric stores)and cut it to the exact size of the board. It should be 1/2 inch thick. Use 3-M spray adhesive and glue it to the board. Next cut a piece of soft density foam that is 1/4 inch thick, making it 1/4 inch smaller all the way around. In other words for a 12 inch by 24 inch pad you would cut the 1/4 inch foam to a size of 11 & 1/2 by 23 & 1/2 inches. Spray a light coat of the 3-M adhesive to the top of the 1/2 inch piece which is glued to the board, and attach the 1/4 inch piece so that you have 1/4 spacing all around the top.
Next get a piece of the best velvet that you can get, velveteen tends to get loose after time, and velvet is the best for longevity and quality. Cut the piece of Velvet size 15 x 27 inches. Place the velvet side down on a table and place the board foam side down on the beck of the velvet. Start at one end and bring one side up, double it under itself and tack it down with a staple gun. Do the same thing with the opposite side pulling enough to make the velvet surface taunt but not pressing too hard and not loose.
For the corners, fold over the way you would a package and repeat the same folding over and under for the front and back edge. When you turn the pad over you want the surface to be uniform all over, You can do the last side pulling as needed to get the right tension on the surface of the velvet. Once it is just how you want it, Turn the pad over and using 4 strips of 1/4 inch thick, by 3/4 inch wide strips, made a border or frame that goes from edge to edge of the bottom of the pad, in other words the frame should be 12 X 24 inches exactly. Use small 3/8 brass flathead screws to attach these strips, making sure to countersink them about 1/64th. inch below surface. The countersinking of the screws prevents scratching of any surface that you put the pad down on, and the strips themselves prevent the bottom edges of the velvet from fraying, as well as holding the tension secure and keeping the velvet from giving any and loosening up. I have also in the past attached this pad to a piece of 1/2 inch plywood and built a 1&1/4 x 1 inch oak or walnut molding around it sort of like a picture frame with the velvet pad snapping right in. This could then be mounted on a eureka base for walk around work, or when you wanted a really classy looking pad for a close-up performance.
This has been a bit long I know, but hopefully it should cover all the details to making a really nice pad. If you have any questions, feel free to ask, I have been custom building for over 32 years and am always willing to help.
All the Best
Marty
dreidy
View Profile
Regular user
Sydney, Australia
156 Posts

Profile of dreidy
Mike, try getting some wetsuit neoprene. It comes in various thicknesses and is covered with cloth on either one or both sides. If you want it to 'stick' to the bench top, get it with one side covered and the other bare. It's also available in many bright colours, and it's relatively cheap. If you can't find it yourself, contact a scuba diving store and ask them who makes their custom wetsuits.
Treated right it lasts a long time.

David.
MRReed
View Profile
New user
Lake Odessa, MI
58 Posts

Profile of MRReed
My sincere thanks for all the ideas, fellas!

Mike
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Pad (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL