The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Somewhere new (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

SmileAndNod
View Profile
Veteran user
316 Posts

Profile of SmileAndNod
Hey guys, I'm planning on doing a lot of traveling and busking in the spring. Here's the question.

When entering a new city, one that you have never been to before, how would you go about finding a location to busk. (My routine is the linking rings and miser's dream, so no table if that makes a difference)
MagiCol
View Profile
Special user
Dargaville, New Zealand
929 Posts

Profile of MagiCol
Before you arrive use Google satelite, or other interntet searches to see if you can find the commercial centre of the city. That is, the downtown shopping centre - individual shops that line street sides, not the private huge malls -where there is a good amount of foot traffic. Approaching the city, if in your own transport, ask at some inner suburb at a drugstore or similar place [fast food, fish and chip shop, supermarket] where the heart of the city is. Quite likely its somewhere that buses have their central stop. So maybe catch a bus into the centre. Or you could phone the city council, city hall, or the like before you arrive. A map of the area [get one off the internet] will help you to get to know street names.
For that matter, if you have ready access to the internet along the way, ask here on the Magic Café, especially if you can give a list of cities you will be passing through. Also http://www.performers.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13
is a place worth visiting on the internet.
Once in the central area, take a walk about for a few blocks. See if you find other buskers at work and introduce yourself to them and ask a few questions. If you're an experienced busker it takes just a few minutes to figure out potential of locations. The real test is once you set up at a pitch and see what happens.
Some suburban shopping centres may have enough foot traffic to make it worth while busking in the area.

As well as the location itself, find out what days and times are best at that place for busking. I tried busking in the main downtown street in our biggest city in New Zealand and lunchtime was especially busy and useless because I think most of the foot traffic was office workers and adult students with limited lunch time and they were in no mood to stop and watch magic being performed. Much better there to set up on Saturdays and Sundays when the foot traffic was more leisurely and with children along as well.
The presentation makes the magic.
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1334 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
Google search the city to see if they have anything on the council / state web site. I find places like New Zealand and Australia have great cites with easy to obtain busking permits.

Aslo you tube buskers in ....... se were they are and wor it out from there. Walk around the city talk to busker.

Pace like the UK and most part of Europe I feel comfortable setting up and going for it. You igth get move on but nothing to heavy.

Also post another topic listing were your going and when and people will offer advice and may chance to meet up. On that note if your in Auckland New Zealand give us a shout.
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
Pizpor
View Profile
Elite user
476 Posts

Profile of Pizpor
Also check out pedestrian malls, city squares, plazas, parks, and green spaces close to the main population centers. These can be places where you may find people on a more casual schedule. People seem to be more rushed at lunchtime downtown, but in the right spot you may find some great crowds. Good luck!!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Somewhere new (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL